Yes
62 (73.8%)
No
16 (19%)
Undecided
6 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Voting closed: October 19, 2005, 04:56:33 PM

Author Topic: SCTA Meeting minutes online?  (Read 33949 times)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Just for the record
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2005, 11:49:27 AM »
The flat World does not revolve around the So Cal Highboy Roadster.
A Honda in a Highboy just ain't right.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Malcolm UK

SCTA Meeting minutes online?
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2005, 05:32:32 AM »
As a true outsider I would not vote on this but if the SCTA/BNI wants (and it would be thier decision on this) to reach its members then it should use the internet.  

BUT ... make sure that only the members have access to the minutes by password protecting the location.  Why should I be permitted to read the minutes of a club that I do not belong to?

What is suggested by this topic is that the club inquestion has failed to reach the grass routes membership with information that could be important.  Happens with a lot of similar clubs so this is not a particular 'flame'.

My two bob from far away!
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
You are not a second class citizen.
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2005, 09:44:16 AM »
From across the pond or across the street, you must be a BNI member to run and are subject to all the rules and the victim of any changes in procedure they develop that is not published now.
The information is available to the public now if nothing else because the meetings are open .
E-mail does not represent a large cost and if you want a snail mail, it can be done at a cost for those that wish to have it.
You might compare it to Congress or a City Council.
Meeting that discuss legal response to a lawsuit and some personnel hiring and firing matters might be an exception to that.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline desotoman

« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2005, 12:42:03 PM »
Quote from: John Romero
Somebody who is not local to So Cal and runs only Bonneville has no official say in the matter unless they are willing to become active in the SCTA. Everytime someone says "you should go to more meetings" or "you should run for an office" is ASSUMING you are local and could participate on El Mirage operations

John,
   I see you are an SCTA member. How involved are you with the SCTA club you belong to? For example: How many club meetings did you attend this year etc.?  Regards, Tom
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2005, 04:26:58 PM »
Tom, I think you are missing Johns point here.  If you live in, say New Jersey, and are building a car for Bville, It would be nice to know of any impending rule changes, or event dates, as early as possible.  You can't expect folks like that to be associate members, or to help work the events.  I think that the SCTA owes it to racers like that to provide any information they can.  You and I are fortunate to live in the Western half of the country, but even for me, the trip (including entry) is a two grand deal.  For the really long distance guys, it would be a damn shame to have to make last minute changes due to rules or dates.....Bob
Bob Drury

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2005, 07:37:22 PM »
John R is a So Cal guy- Bob! Go back to page 3 of this thread and see that the SCTA prints the changes right after the Board votes on them on the SCTA-BNI website. What more do you want???
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

JohnR

« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2005, 10:53:29 PM »
Quote from: desotoman

John,
   I see you are an SCTA member. How involved are you with the SCTA club you belong to? For example: How many club meetings did you attend this year etc.?  Regards, Tom

How involved? not very, not enough.

The number of meetings I have attended? too darn few, probably less than 10 in the last 2 years. But that should be apparent because I'm in the same club as you are (Sidewinders) and you didn't even know it!!!

I have pulled more duties at El Mirage than I have run on the course there.

But, You are missing my point. I am not saying all this because I can't get the info, I can. I am pointing out that the only reason I can get the info is because I live in SoCal and was in a position to attend the two mandatory club meetings so I could be voted into the club and because I am local I can perform my yearly mandatory duty. Once in the club, I am also in the  SCTA and now my life is troublefree.

The point I am trying to make is still the same:
How does a BNI-only member, who does not live anywhere near SoCal get involved in the political side of the BNI-only events and have his opinion officially recognized?

Quote from: jimmy six
...SCTA prints the changes right after the Board votes on them on the SCTA-BNI website. What more do you want???

But thats exactly the problem JD, BNI members don't get to know about the proposed changes while they're still just "proposed". Unless you are also an SCTA member, you cannot find out and let the board know you opinion on a subject before it gets voted on.

Regards,

John

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
I guess you could break it down.
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2005, 11:46:20 PM »
How many of the entries at Bonneville are BNI only ?
Tell me again how they are to see what is going on until it is too late.
Posting changes after the fact is a bit *presumptuous.

* I borrowed that word from Russ Eyres.
 Do you like it ?

JohnR

Re: I guess you could break it down.
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2005, 12:26:14 AM »
Quote from: JackD
How many of the entries at Bonneville are BNI only ?
Tell me again how they are to see what is going on until it is too late.
Posting changes after the fact is a bit *presumptuous.

* I borrowed that word from Russ Eyres.
 Do you like it ?

Dont know how many, I guess someone from SCTA-BNI has the information. But I know of more than 5 in my small circle of friends. And I dont know anybody.

If they are not SCTA members and therefore do not belong to an SCTA club and therefore do not see/hear the SCTA-BNI meeting minutes then they have to wait for changes to be posted on the SCTA website like jimmy six explained above. Seeing them on the website as new rule changes is too late if you wanted to have some input on the rule to be changed!

The real question is, does therefore have an e on the end, or is it therefor?

John

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2005, 11:14:10 AM »
J.D., Maybee you should bo back to page three and reread what John said.  He was not talking about himself.  You and Tom are so damn self rightious, you can't seem to follow the posts on here without burying your heads further in the sand.  Unless the SCTA has something to hide, there should be no reason to not make any and all information available to not only their members, but to those of us who pay money to race at their events.  What are you guys afraid of?  No one is trying to do a disservice to the SCTA or its board, we would just like to know what is being discussed and what to expect.  We are not asking for a vote, only a end to the secretive nature of the "good old boys".
Bob Drury

dwarner

« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2005, 01:27:39 PM »
This is a response I received from Roy Creel to a request I made when trying to remember why the minutes are not posted on line:

Dan , in reply to you inquiry,

Memory test-
Posting of SCTA minutes on our website was discussed at length at prior board meetings and it was decided not to do it....Why?

1. To encourage the distribution of information via the club reps and presidents in the form of member participation at the meetings.
2. The minutes do not reflect all of the discussion that takes place at the meetings. The reps "fill in the gaps" as to how and why decisions were made.
3. While the minutes document the decisions made, they can easily be taken out of context or mis- interpreted.
4. The association runs on strictly volunteerism. Responding to constant pot shots from non members who do not participate in the process or contribute to the process just adds to the load on those volunteer officers.
5. All clubs have at least one officer that is computer literate and able. The minutes are electronically published and can be forwarded electronically via the club.

You want the minutes? Earn them:
Join an SCTA club, pull your duties and do your fair share, your president or rep. will provide them to you.

Roy Creel

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Not so fast an so far.
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2005, 02:16:27 PM »
Until the SCTA promotes an event that is open to others and is outside So Cal , that may have some validity.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2005, 02:19:37 PM »
Quote from: Bob Drury
Tom, I think you are missing Johns point here......Bob

Bob,
  I have not missed John's point. It is not reasonable to expect anyone who lives more than (pick a number) 600 miles away from So Cal to join a club. But then again maybe it boils down to how much you really want it. I remember the Sidewinders had one  member who lived in South Dakota, and always came out to run the November meet at El Mirage. He really wanted to race. I guess it is up to the individual. Regards, Tom
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

JohnR

« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2005, 02:34:32 PM »
So poeple who live a long distance from El Mirage have to prove that they are worthy of inclusion and the locals don't?

Doesn't making the trip to Bonneville count or is Bonneville just a sideshow to the real show at El Mirage?

Sorry, but I don't agree.

Regards,

John

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Wait a minuit !!
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2005, 02:43:35 PM »
Are BNI members second class citizens ?