Yes
62 (73.8%)
No
16 (19%)
Undecided
6 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Voting closed: October 19, 2005, 04:56:33 PM

Author Topic: SCTA Meeting minutes online?  (Read 33950 times)

Offline Leon

• http://www.ridgenet.net/~biesiade/
SCTA Meeting minutes online?
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2005, 12:34:35 PM »
I believe the information would be helpful.  I joined BNI a few years back, and am building a car but still a while off from having anything to run.  Since I joined, I have been asking many questions at Bonneville and lurking on this site to get information.  When I joined BNI, I didn't know the difference between BNI and SCTA since the office I called handled both.  I thought that I would get more information than what I'm getting, maybe I need to convert my membership?  Isn't a membership to one include the other or do you need both?

dwarner

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2005, 12:53:29 PM »
Depends on where you race. BNI covers events on the salt flats. SCTA cover events on the dirt at El Mirage.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Geeeez
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2005, 01:45:20 PM »
I would have told you about the Christmas party for $20 and sent you My copy of the book.
Because I don't drink, I could have used profit for entry fees.
Now what ?
Lets hope you can do better in the future.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

dad land

minutes
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2005, 02:14:34 PM »
YES , i'd like to be able to read them to easily keep up with current events!
dad land

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2005, 02:15:17 PM »
When this was posted last year I said "no" and it still remains the same. Good response Desoto!

If you will remember, after the SCTA Board voted on the rule changes for 05 they were posted on the SCTA site right after the Board Meeting.  I see no change for this year, I'm sure they will do it again.... The new requests will not be discussed until the Rules committee meeting in November...Some of the committees ei: coupes, roadster, special construction etc. are already discussing what has been given to them by Dan and will give their opinons during that meeting.

About 50% of the proposals never reach the Board for a vote because they are "personal adgendas" and the Rules committee nips them at their meeting.

Rules are rarely changed during the year and for the most part I could post the minutes for a 1958 meeting with a new date and 90% of the members would not know the difference. The more things change the more they remain the same.

After sitting in on reps and board meetings for 30 years I have, in no specific order, drank too much, fell asleep, got pissed off, ate too much, driven too far, and said "I gotta quit going"....

This forum is great but not a place for the SCTA or BNI minutes.  Each year any member can look at or ask questions about the finances, and we get a copy of all money transactions at each meeting.

Good luck and hoping we have a great Bonneville next year..J.D.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Well not so fast.
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2005, 02:26:17 PM »
The motorcycle changes were done by the board in Dec. last year with out prior notice or participation by the membership.
We can start with the 5 year rule for tires that impacted the all of the entries with respect to liability, shown in the book, never approved by the board, taken back, and no notice to the entrants that were not party to the meeting information.
Your serve.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

dwarner

« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2005, 02:45:43 PM »
After sitting in on reps and board meetings for 30 years I have, in no specific order, drank too much, fell asleep, got pissed off, ate too much, driven too far, and said "I gotta quit going"....

Well said JD

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Yes
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2005, 02:53:35 PM »
Quote from: dwarner

Well said JD

"Where ever you find yourself, there you are."
So what does it all mean ?
With 784 views and only 56 votes, does that mean that only voters are looking as much as 14 times.
Could it be that many don't care or don't vote.
The vote goes both ways you know.  What is to prevent somebody from posting it anyway.
Wouldn't you rather see it on SCTA or here than someplace else that is less appropriate to the sport.
When I hear about somebody kicking and being dragged into the 80s, I wonder what all the noise is about.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2005, 06:20:10 PM »
Jack D. and all:

I have been at the Board meeting for the last 10 years (voting once)where the Board voted on the proposals brought before it by the Car and M/C committees at their rules committee meetings. When the car committee  meets I have watched the M/C committee meet in another room. I do not know who is picked for the M/C rules committee because I only sit in on the Car meeting

Each rule change brought to the Voting Board from the Rules Committees is discussed before the Voting Board votes.  The Voting Board normally votes with the reccommendation of the committees.  This is not always true but for the most part it goes that way. You learn to trust the folks who have volunteered their time to do what is best for the association whether it affects the entire association (safety) or just a class of vehicle.

If after a rule for the following year is past and a major problem comes up which was not thought of or who knows why, the Voting Board may resind the rule and wait for more information or leave it as is.

I did not follow what happened to the M/C tire ruling probably due to lack of interest. But the rule had to have been discussed by the M/C committee prior to the meeting or it would not have able to come to a vote. I do not have a "photographic mind" like some who write here. Everything said at the meeting isn't written down. If someone wants the job of secretary please let them step forward. Warren will gladly train his replacement.

It's no longer my serve, I've lost the match, (6-0, 6-0, 6-0) and I have left the court.   JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2005, 07:36:00 PM »
This is sort of getting back to the discussions we had on this site about six or eight months ago, when Dan suggested we all (or at least some of us) should join member clubs in the Southland.  I thought I was cutting a fat hog on the Info HiWay by subscribing to the SCTA News Letter (see my earlier post), and that was a bust and a half.  I think what would be the easiest, and would ruffle the least amount of feathers, would be to have the Recording Secretary post a synopses of the most current meetings on this site.  I don't think trying to get those of us who live in the boonies and know few if any club members is a viable option.  We might accidentlly join Dolans Sex Perversion Club by mistake..............
Bob Drury

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
scat
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2005, 08:52:17 PM »
Jack is going to get a lot of e-mail for membership in Jack D's humpem club.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Just for the record
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2005, 08:57:16 PM »
The MC bunch is listed in the SCTA publication and the rules with respect to change requests are well established. The problem is the list is not valid and they don't even play by their own rules. There was a case of a particular rule that was challenged and the MC chair misspoke as to the origin of the rule. It was researched by many and his representation was wrong. We never heard from him again. In the days of the 5 year tire rule it presented a liability to the organization that it was not prepared for. It was never voted on by the board and when it was brought to their attention it was eliminated without prior notice to many that had already complied and was documented in the minuets.
The "Look at the birdie" defense won't fly.
There are more.
Jack

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2005, 09:56:43 PM »
I cant speak for anyone else on why they didnt vote and maybe Im a dumass but it took me about 6 tries to finally stumble on how to vote. Maybe it would be worth mentioning that you have to go to the post a reply section before the screen pops up that lets you vote. At least I think thats how I got to it.

Offline ddahlgren

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2005, 04:05:42 AM »
I think you have to remember it is the 'SCTA' not the 'USA salt flats racing association'..or whatever you might want to call it. it is not practical to be a member and be of any use if you don't live in southern california. Personally i could not get further away from SoCal unless i moved to maine or florida. Short of just sending a check what use would i be to a car club in SoCal. i am not going to drive or fly out to EM to do patrol duty. It would be more than a little problematic to participate in meetings as well. i can not afford 3 days a month and an aprroximate 1k per month to fly in rent a room and a car to sit in on a meeting either. i am up for solutions..
Dave

JohnR

« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2005, 11:27:11 AM »
Quote from: ddahlgren
... it is not practical to be a member and be of any use if you don't live in southern california. Personally i could not get further away from SoCal unless i moved to maine or florida. Short of just sending a check what use would i be to a car club in SoCal. i am not going to drive or fly out to EM to do patrol duty. It would be more than a little problematic to participate in meetings as well. i can not afford 3 days a month and an aprroximate 1k per month to fly in rent a room and a car to sit in on a meeting either. i am up for solutions..
Dave

Dave,

I think you hit the nail on the head. The BNI is run by the SCTA. The SCTA is run by the local So Cal clubs. Somebody who is not local to So Cal and runs only Bonneville has no official say in the matter unless they are willing to become active in the SCTA. Everytime someone says "you should go to more meetings" or "you should run for an office" is ASSUMING you are local and could participate on El Mirage operations.

I guess the real question is:

How does the BNI board propose that BNI-ONLY members stay active in the BNI political process? keeping in mind that BNI members are not only nationwide, they are worldwide.