Yes
62 (73.8%)
No
16 (19%)
Undecided
6 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Voting closed: October 19, 2005, 04:56:33 PM

Author Topic: SCTA Meeting minutes online?  (Read 33948 times)

Offline desotoman

SCTA Meeting minutes online?
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2005, 09:39:10 PM »
Jon,
   In no way should the SCTA minutes be disclosed on this board or any other. What SCTA does is not for the world to know. There are certain things you ask in private, without the world as an audience.

If you are an SCTA member, all of this information is available to you. If you miss a meeting call your club President or Rep and ask him or her to fill you in. If you are not an SCTA member then become one, that way you have a voice. If you don't go to club meetings don't complain, it is your own fault.

The clubs have a hard enough time trying to get people to come to meetings. The purpose of having club meetings is to relay, through the club reps what has gone on at the SCTA meetings, or by the same token if the club feels the need to bring something up at an SCTA meeting the club rep can do this also.

People need to get involved, and being involved does not mean posting subjects on message boards. Being involved means joining one of the SCTA's car clubs, and the SCTA. It means going to meetings, running for office, pulling your duties, and contributing to your club.  

What I would be in favor of is a SCTA public relations person who could post on the SCTA site, any new rules changes etc. as they occur. Remember this is a volunteer organization.  Regards, Tom
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline promachine

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2005, 09:49:54 PM »
I guess that if you lived on the east coast and did not race on the dirt
you couild join one of the clubs and at least get a newsletter to see
whats going on.
 Or maybe more info could be included in the BNI newsletter.
People want information and somtimes the net is not the best place
to publish it.
Dirty 2 driver-nitro junkie-H.P. peddler

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
It reads the way it reads.
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2005, 10:02:50 PM »
If there is something wrong with the way it reads, there is something wrong.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

dwarner

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2005, 10:18:57 PM »
In a scientific search for an answer I went to the NHRA and NASCAR message boards. Did I find the minutes of their board meetings and financial disclosures posted and open for discussion? No way!

What makes you think that no matter which way this poll goes it will result in a policy change from the current administration? The poll for traction control went real well.

landracing

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2005, 10:36:18 PM »
I have deleted my post, which was written out of aggression and bad interpretation...

I simply want to state that many have contributed to the SCTA in some form or another, across the nation and world and should have same rights to information as a SCTA member.
The right to know what is discussed and whats on the table which effects bonneville racing and the organization.

Jon

landracing

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2005, 10:46:05 PM »
Quote from: dwarner
In a scientific search for an answer I went to the NHRA and NASCAR message boards. Did I find the minutes of their board meetings and financial disclosures posted and open for discussion? No way!

What makes you think that no matter which way this poll goes it will result in a policy change from the current administration? The poll for traction control went real well.

Dan are the NHRA and Nascar non-profit organizations? Nope, of course they dont have to disclose.

And as for the poll, I dont expect it to do anything but make a poll...

I have had tons of emails supporting the poll, and two rather hated and threatning emails about it. Is this what LSR comes down to. When a debate is made and simple question is asked it comes down to threatning emails....  Both have come from California....

Jon

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Just for the record
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2005, 11:18:17 PM »
Publicly held corporations may often limit the attendance at a scheduled meeting but the minutes that are required by law are a public document.
A rulebook might have copyright protection but meeting minutes do not.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Elon

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2005, 11:51:09 PM »
Jon, I think you might have missed the point from Desotoman.  He  didn?t say ?you? he said ?people? . . . meaning plural, as in many people.  Until I read his post I was going to vote yes. However, I think he was slanting the drift to people like me. I don?t run a car and I don?t belong to a club so I am not an SCTA  member.  However, I have been to Bonneville for the last 8 years (crewing for the past 5) and to various EM meets during the last 6 years. You know the drill?with an obscene job workload, family stuff, yada, yada, yada, I never wanted to join a club until I had my car ready. I simply couldn?t drive 1,200 miles RT to do patrol when my time was so precious, and in particular, if I wasn?t racing. It just hurts too much to be so close and not be racing.  Work on my car has been slow because of my lack of time (or inability to prioritize my life!).   The more I have been around the SCTA events the more I see how much I don?t know. It is now coming to a point where I am motivated to join a club simply for my lack of information or access to it. SCTA can?t maintain its vitality without people and the clubs need people.  Having information filter down through the clubs is just one more reason for joining and it also legitimatizes the club?s importance in the organizational chain.  I am glad to see you get a copy of the minutes.  With all the work you do, you deserve them.  My contributions are about zero. I would love to see the minutes, however, the people that are proactive are more deserving.  If one wants to be that close to the inner workings of the SCTA, then get closer to SCTA. . . join them!

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2005, 12:43:56 AM »
"Dan are the NHRA and Nascar non-profit organizations? Nope, of course they dont have to disclose."

Actually Jon the NHRA is a non-profit.
However I do wish the time and place (the place changes every other meeting) for the Reps meetings were on the SCTA site. Yes I can & do call to find out, it would just be a little eaiser.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

landracing

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2005, 01:28:45 AM »
Dyno,

You are correct and I stand corrected on a topic I should have researched before I made the post. I apologize...

NHRA is Non_Profit
 :shock:

Nascar is for profit...

Jon

landracing

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2005, 02:39:04 AM »
I am in internet junky I must say..... Starbucks keeps me going....

I want to express this THE SCTA AND BNI are both the greatest organizations in the world to me. I love them to death....

Im not out to get anybody, I like to get people involved...

I just like to have information available to me and the rest of the racers thats all. I want to keep people informed. This website is a information tool to find information that people want... A message board for people to ask questions and get answers.... Look at pictures, build a car, come race with the GREATEST bunch of people in the world....

Just receive my third piece of hate mail, that saddens me......

The organizations want me to keep mouth shut ill sit here and act the fool,,, hate mail isnt what I want, just information to keep racers informed.

Jon

Offline KeithTurk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2005, 04:46:05 AM »
Wow Jon... hadn't seen this pole until today.... been busy I guess...  Another Heated discussion on Landracing.com.... COOL... it gets opinions out in the open and lets folks know what's going on...  It also gives all of us an opportunity to see the inter-workings of the SCTA...  and that has some merit.

As a co-owner of the ECTA, I can see merit on both sides of the argument.  There are some things that Joe, Tonya and I talk about which are better left unsaid to the public...  Like when a single competitor makes a butthead out of themselves.... if that member cools down and rethinks things he has the chance to change his attitude and it's not a matter of public record that he was a butthead in the first place...  Long and the short of it... keeping some of the Day to Day stuff private will always have merit...

Money...  I'm a fan of keeping all of that above board and totally public... anyone who wants to can call me or Tonya and get particulars on what our current financial situation is.  When you take someones money they have a right to know what happens to it... ( personal opinion )  I don't think that the ECTA needs huge money in it's coffers.... it only needs what is required to run a couple of events in advance and past that point we need to design in ways of limiting the income... or giving it back to the racers by way of reduced entry fee's and such.  

Whatever happens with your Poll here Jon.... I doubt it will play into the final answer on what happens with the board minutes...  Keep in mind we are a small segment of the overall membership of BNI or the SCTA... ( those of us that check in to the internet that is )  and the SCTA isn't going to make a decision on this based on our opinion... ( and that 's not a bad thing... just the way it oughta be really )
Keith Turk
 D Gas Modified Sports
 246.555 mph

Offline generatorshovel

• http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556
Re:- Minutes
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2005, 05:04:09 AM »
Another NO vote  :wink:
Tiny (in OZ)
I would prefer to make horsepower, rather than buy, or hya it, regardless of the difficulties involved , as it would then be MINE

Offline Utahfab

Posting SCTA minutes
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2005, 11:43:24 AM »
While I'm new to this and love to soak up any information related to land speed racing I'd have to say NO.  I go along with the idea that if you want to know about the inner workings then join.  

On the other hand it?s pretty hard to attend meetings from across the country or even Utah.  If I do get more into it and join I?m not sure how I could have any input.

I?m just thankful that they are there to put on the show!
Billy in Utah

Stock Hayabusa w/53k miles - 181.986mph.  Not so fast, Yet!

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2005, 11:50:12 AM »
Well, here is one way to stay uniformed.  I made the mistake of sending $30 bucks for a subscription to S.C.T.A. Racing News last year, and after repeated requests, have recieved to date one lousy issue, which was coverage of the Christmas Party.  Perhaps my money bought a drink or two for one of the fat old men pictured.  lol................... :(
Bob Drury