Author Topic: Jim Lattin for President??  (Read 25362 times)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Not so fast
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2005, 12:42:01 AM »
We continue to hear from both sides and if I voted now that would be the end.
 I am interested in the whole game.
This election is getting more attention in front of the voter than ever before and that reduces the sneak factor.
 You just have to decide for yourself and that should be easier than ever.
You vote in private but if you speak, do it while standing and don't whisper.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

JohnR

Jim Lattin for President??
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2005, 01:53:01 PM »
Jack,

You are correct. I'm should not have said to vote now, what I meant was to not put your ballot on top of a stack of papers and then let it slip your mind and not vote.

I've already made up my mind and since my brain is like a sieve, I voted and mailed it. Otherwise a shiny object will catch my attention and next thing I know it will be January and the election will be over. I'm only 40 and quite forgetfull. I have no Idea how bad I'll be when I'm as old as you guys! :o

John

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
If my memory serves me.
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2005, 02:05:03 PM »
starting with a Honda is a symptom.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline fastesthonda_jim

• Ready to Rock 2003
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2005, 02:53:34 PM »
Aw, Jack.  You're just jealous of us rice-a-teers and how fast we go with no paint jobs!
2006 SCTA High Points Champeen
2006 Dirty "2" Wrench Of The Year
Bonneville "2" Club 2003
El Mirage Dirty "2"'s 2006
Bonneville Records: G/GS, F/GS (Boy)  G/FS (Girl)
El Mirage Records: F/BFS, F/FS, F/GS, I/FS, I/GS, K/BGS
FIA Records A, II, 8
Unlimited License
300mph line qualified (305.129 best mile speed)
The older half of San Diego's Fastest Couple
2016 Man of Distinction Award
DLRA 2019 Top Speed of The Meet (309.438 Mile - 323.3 GPS)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
If you go
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2005, 03:28:55 PM »
fast enough, the paint job is free.
I think it was 1978 for the first one at Bonneville with a far eastern motor for me.
You can't win those. 8)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2005, 05:27:41 PM »
Quote from: fastesthonda_jim
Aw, Jack.  You're just jealous of us rice-a-teers and how fast we go with no paint jobs!

Off the post subject, but could you post a larger picture of your avatar?

That is a nice picture :D

c ya, Sum

landracing

« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2005, 03:54:11 PM »
Lattin response to Mary West Letter..

"Dear Mary West,
It disturbs me that the secretary of the Save the Salt board, an inherently neutral postion, should attack the SCTA election process in such a vitriolic manner. Marry, you are entitled to your opinion and as usual you share it, however , you are woefully misinformed.
First and foremost you accused me of being devious. All you had to do was read the Ken Kelley interview. It quite clearly outlines my choices and decisions. There was no lack of "guts" on my part, just a logical thought process progression.
Second, I take offense at your implied charge of unethical and actually criminal misconduct concerning the finances when I was a Board Member of SCTA and Chairman of BNI. Again your opinion is based on misinformation. When I left office there was a financial committee in charge of making recommendations to the SCTA Board of Directors. It was made up of business men and some members of the SCTA Board. Dana Wilson was a member of the committee. Jim Lindsley made sure to the penny that every account was published at every meeting. You slander all of us when you slander me.
Third, as for the prepartion of the salt your misinformation could have been avoided had you read the Ken Kelley interview. My thought were clearly presented.It is unfortunate that the preliminary dragging and surveying was done in the wrong location without a back up plan. When it was decided to go for a secondary location it was too late to remedy. So you see the fault was never placed on the hard working dedicated racers who tried very hard up against Mother Nature . ( That Mother Nature is unpredictable is a given ). My point is that preplanning could have resulted in a better outcome.
In summary you should probably concern yourself with your own agenda- Save the Salt- and leave the business of running the SCTA-BNI to the members.
  Sincerely, Jim Lattin""

Offline joea

« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2005, 10:13:40 PM »
FREAKIN NICE.............I LOVE HEARING.......BOTH....SIDES..............

Joe :)

landracing

« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2005, 09:48:46 AM »
Mary West reply to Jim Lattin

"In as much as I and the racing community has received a letter from Mr. Lattin, which was addressed to me.  I am once again asked to comment further.  I had decided that I wanted to be done with it but the letter that WE received stated that I was misinformed when  I am probably the most INFORMED person when it comes to Bonneville Salt Flats, I shall attempt to set the record straight to the best of my ability.

Jim says that he is disturbed that my position as Save the Salt Secretary is an inherently neutral position.  I think that any officer of any organization does not have to take a neutral position and I have very strong opinions and am not afraid to express them when necessary.

He further states that I attack SCTA'a election process.  On the contrary, I applaud their election process.   Nomination, acceptance of the nomination and campaigning.  No one chose to step forward and be nominated at the onset.  It is not a good thing for people to run unapposed but I think that it is futile for someone to try to rally support after the fact.  That is where one has to wonder about motives.

I did read the Ken Kelley interview and that is why I was asked to write a response in the first place.  The word DEVIOUS means round about and that is the crux of a write in campaign.  Going around the normal procedures.

In no way did I use the words unethical or criminal misconduct.  I merely stated that Jim Lattin was ousted for the very things he points a finger at, namely in his own words, "I believe it is a good idea to have an open book policy for all the SCTA and BNI finances."  He further comments on Dana Wilson being a member of the finance committee when he was in office.  Henry Louie was President, I believe it was 1993, he is the one who appointed a finance committee to find out about the money and Dana was appointed at that time.

I do not slander anyone I merely commented on statements made in the Jim Lattin interview.  Responding  to the best of my ability.

In regards to the choice of course and preliminary dragging for Speed Week this year.  It is Jim who is either misinformed or simply attacking the people who chose a course at  the only possible site at the time.  From the beginning the ability to drag the course was a task that was not promising.  When you have some 400 excited entries wanting to come play on the salt it is important to put forth the greatest effort possible to get a race course.
As dragging continued it seemed futile.  In the meantime the salt in the secondary area dried and so work began in that area.  EVERYONE WAS WORKING AGAINST TIME AND THE ELEMENTS TO PREPARE FOR THE ENTRIES THAT WOULD SOON BE TRAVELING TO BONNEVILLE.  There could be no back up plan because no one could determine where the salt would be dry enough to drag.  The PREPLANNING that was mentioned in the interview would normally be done in mid July.  At that time the salt was under water.  Numerous trips to the salt was made and many hours were spent trying to find a suitable area.   OF THIS I WAS INFORMED AT THE TIME.

I was told at the end of the letter that I should concern myself with my own agenda, namely Save the Salt.   I should leave the running of SCTA/BNI to the members.  I am a BNI member and for something like 50 years  YOU THE RACERS ARE MY BUSINESS.  I look out for your well being.  I receive numerous calls during the year.  I'M THE MOM and people trust me.   I cherish that trust. I will not sit meekly in a corner and not comment when I know the facts of a given situation.

In the future it is vital that men step forward and run for office.    I don't like the idea of not having a choce of candidates.  And perhaps I need to pay my dues, step up with a Club and vote.......as an SCTA member.    I do not like this WAR OF WORDS.  It will be up to the SCTA members to vote their concious but the members who run El Mirage are not the only ones affected by the leadership.  Competitors from all across the United States and other Countries are affected and they have no vote.  

I support the leadership and men who were nominated and are running for Office.  They have contributed to the success of SCTA/BNI for a number of years.  They are capable dedicated men.                        Mary"

Jon

landracing

« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2005, 09:50:03 AM »
Elmo Gillette response to Mary West...

"Mary West:
    You use words in your letter about Jim Lattin such as integrity, devious and lack of guts. Mary you are wrong again. I have known Jim Lattin for over 30 years and he is an honest, hard working, straight forward man with everyone.
    I have been running at the Lakes since 1947 and have attended the Bonneville event since the beginning in 1949. I was president of SCTA for 6 years and in all this time I have never known such slander and dirty mud slinging as you have injected into this year's election.
    BUTT OUT MARY: your input is a hindrance and an embarrassment to Save the Salt which you are affiliated with.
    I am proud to say that I am voting for Jim Lattin for President of SCTA, because his experience and knowledge make him the best choice to keep SCTA on the right track.
        Sincerely, Elmo Gillette""

Jon

landracing

« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2005, 09:05:40 AM »
Glenn Freudenberger says

"Elmo Gillette is UNSCRUPULOUS  and COWARDLY. Morals and integrity are unknown to him.

When I was providing the photographs that were used in the rulebook and the event posters I spend as many as 6 hours per day shooting. I also provided fotos for several motorcycle magazines and European automobile publications. Each time before I went out to shoot I would clear it with Bob Higbee, the official starter. He always knew where I was and he approved of what I did. Elmo decided to police me and dictate the conditions under which I did my work.  When I discussed this with Higbee he advised me to carry on as I had always done.  Apparently this did grind on Elmo.

One day a white roadster with number 69 on it veered 150 feet off of the course and headed directly toward me. The driver was Elmo Gillette. Then he swerved back on the course and finished his run. I was watching the car all the time through a 500 mm lens and was completely aware of what was happening. It seemed to me that he had just established the conditions to report that I was in an unsafe area and was a problem. If that was not his intention and it happened accidentally, he was not qualified to drive that car.

In the late ?80?s when I ran a TZ 750 bike I qualified for a long course record run. My record attempt was on Saturday and I was probably the only bike. I arrived at the line on time.  One car ran and the starter pointed at me and hollered, ?You are next.  If you don?t run now, you lose your turn.? I had just rolled up there and there were at least 2 cars before me. At that time there were separate lines for motorcycles and cars. I immediately turned the bike around, fired it and planned to warm it. It was only the third unblown750 that wasn?t on fuel that had qualified for the long course. The previous 2 belonged to Don Vesco. As I pulled to the line, the starter pointed to me and said,?Go now.? The bike had not warmed at all. The starter never did a safety inspection or even approached the bike. ?Go now, or get out of line.?  I left, cold engine and all.  I didn?t understand the urgency of the situation. It was Saturday. Cars usually ran first to give them more turn around time.  The only runs were the qualified record runs and there were no more than ten total attempts. Between the 1 and the 2 my helmet started to come up over my eyes. I had left w/o my helmet strap being tightened and the starter never even checked me.  That was documented in the story that CYCLE Magazine did on my Speed Week endeavor. You guessed it. The started wasn?t Bob Higbee, it was Elmo Gillette.  He got me again.

If you ask him about those times and he says, ? I don?t remember that? just remember his recall about other happenings may not be complete either.
If he says, ?I didn?t do that.? He?s a damned liar.  He cost me a record attempt and I remember that exceedingly well.

In my opinion, any judgment made on information Elmo Gillette provides is fallacious. Integrity is a concept that he has never known.

How many others has Elmo Gillette stomped on and they never reported it? I have no idea. One is one too many.

If anyone in this arena lacks guts it is Elmo Gillette.  Attending Bonneville since 1949 has not added a single point to his IQ.

No doubt Elmo voted for Jim with a pink color crayon.

?It?s better to be known as a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt.?  ANON

It takes a man of great fortitude to tell Mary West to BUTT OUT while looking at his own BUTT everytime he shaves.

With absolute assurance that I am correct,

Happily...

Glenn Freudenberger"

Offline RichFox

« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2005, 11:18:39 AM »
I can only say that in the late seventy's and early eighty's I was running in the same class as Elmo and Jim, and eventually got the records I was after, which had been Lattin and Gillette records. At all times Jim and Elmo treated me (a new guy) very well. Teched my car after taking their record, under adverse conditions, fairly. And generally were some of the most fun and professional people to run against and with, that I can remember.    Rich Fox

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Gee
« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2005, 12:31:05 PM »
One write in is both bringing them out of the wood work and scattering others with the light.
They are running opposite directions for the same reasons.
It will be interesting to watch.

Offline joea

« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2005, 07:30:14 AM »
ignorance is bliss............being educated by
folks sharing experiences is priceless.......

I very much appreciate those sharing here.......

unoading what they need to........and not
keeping it hidden.........

all good things are not painless..........

Mr. Freud is special to my family and many......
and his words and opinions are very much
appreciated..........

Joe [/code]

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Like I said
« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2005, 08:10:37 PM »
With over 3000 views there may be something lacking.