Author Topic: Jim Lattin for President??  (Read 25361 times)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Back to the election
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2005, 10:50:42 PM »
The other candidate statements came in the mail today. I presume that every SCTA voting member got them. Voting or not, wouldn't you like to read what they have to say?
I don't have a scanner here , but I would like to see it posted for all to see and give the community a chance to comment.
That should set a fire.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Tom Bryant

• http://www.bryantauto.com
President vote
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2005, 11:36:45 AM »
I have been a member of SCTA since 1956. I was the Roadrunner president (in the late 50's(don't remember the year for certain) and then president of SCTA in 1961 & 1962. Here is a bit of history as my memory premits.

SCTA is made up of various affiliated clubs. To be a member of SCTA requires club membership, you can't join SCTA you join a club which is affiliated with the association. I am not certain of the status of an associated member, that came along in later years, I guess,  but I would assume that this member is also a club member. Purchasing a BNI Membership does not make you an Associate Member of SCTA.

BNI was formed in 1962 when SCTA regained full control of the Bonneville meets. BNI is under the unbrella of SCTA, tightly conrolled so that the association will contiue to be in control of BNI.

I am not sure how it happened, but the control of the Bonneville Meets had drifted away to a group of people, SCTA Members, but not subject to SCTA's control.  I am not sitting in judgment these individuals (Paul Stratton, Willie Davis, George Hill, John Cramer, Jim Kugats?,  and Bob Higbee made up the Bonneville Board at the time) I am sure that their motives were to elevate the sport. But, the group spent all their money and handed over control with a $700+ debt. They tried to form an association, get FIA Sanction and sell membership, as is done today. The time was not right, I suppose.

I think that Mike has done a good job as president. I don't fault him for our race course this year. I am not sure that starting to drag earlier, as Jim suggested,  would have been the answer.  I respect Jim and think he did a good job in his time as president,also. The two course idea was a great one.  One thing that Jim mentions in his interview that I fully support is  more openess. I think that every member should get a financial report annually. So how will I vote? Don't know yet, both men have proven leadership abilities.
I don't understand..."It won't work!"

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/CC
 - LSR since 1955 - www.bryantauto.com

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
That is pretty close
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2005, 12:14:15 PM »
As a past president, Tom is a life time member of SCTA regardless of his voting status with membership in a club.
The original intention of BNI was to handle the logistics of all the things required to assemble the Bonneville meet and the hand it off to SCTA to handle the entries.
Wally Parks blocked the application to FIA and his feeling was that it should remain accessible only through NHRA as a member of ACCUS. In later years, SCTA found it was cheaper to go with SCCA but the administration of it fell apart for various reasons.
Having a financial cushion is a good idea. When Lattin came on the scene, the associations were $25k or so in the hole with no plan to resolve it.
The association has made a great deal of progress for sure but not without some problems largely related to not playing well together and losing sight of the racer being the real objective.
I suggest that Lattin is some of the new blood that will cause everybody that is really worth their salt to do a better job.
You should read the comments by Mary West and find out for your self. Don't just shine it on.
A couple of things stand out and probably reflect the long years gone by. I was my impression that Utah Highways stopped preparing the salt when BLM assumed control. The Salt preparation was put up for bid and the users paid their share to the BLM. I spent hundreds of hours with Bob H. riding to meetings and I thought he presented a pretty good history.
You should be reminded that Lattin was voted into the board by the membership in the last election without a write in deal. His health (Cancer) prevented him from serving and he beat it.
If you believe the money was handled wrong, you probably didn't know how little there was and the efforts to get maximum value from the investment by the racer.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline desotoman

Jim Lattin for President??
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2005, 12:01:51 AM »
Interesting reading:

POLITICS AND INTEGRITY      

BY MARY WEST

First time on the salt 1951
First time in politics   1975

WRITE IN VOTING   re: Jim Lattin,   I had heard of Jim's aspirations to once again be President of SCTA, then he wasn't interested and now he goes about his DEVIOUS way of doing things.  It is good to have candidates step up, be nominated and accept the nomination and campaign for an office.  THIS IS WHERE INTEGRITY COMES IN.  Jim should have the guts to run for office by following the normal election procedures.  He chooses to work behind the scenes and get others to speak for him.

MONEY AND ACCOUNTABILITY.   JIm Lattin was ousted from office for the very same accountability problems that he points a finger at.  No one knew where the money was.  Back in the Lattin era he played by his own rules and SCTA suffered.

INTEGRITY.........in defense of those who handle money, often a person in charge of finances tends to try to protect the money.  People with Integrity like Dana Wilson has done an excellent job of managing the money brought in by the BNI.  He protects the money so the kids don't squander it.  That's a simple way of putting it but when an organization has a great deal of money the members are apt to want to go on spending sprees.  And a lot of money seems to alter the way people think and leads to distrust.  IF YOU WANT TO KNOW ABOUT THE MONEY...........ASK.........BUT IF YOU WANT TO PROTECT THE MONEY YOU BETTER KNOW WHO IS IN CHARGE OF IT.

SALT PREPARATION.   Mr. Lattin speaks of preparing the salt when it is green.  For years the State of Utah prepared the course.  Because of budgeting the job was given to USFRA.  People like the Strasburgs, Rick Vesco, Cris and Ed Shearer dragged the course in the early spring, (green salt)  This preparation took place prior to the July meets the USFRA held. The trucks and equipment belonged to the Utah group and SCTA bought into that equipment when Mike Waters took over as President of SCTA.  We formed a great working relationship between the two organizations.

We have not had the luxury the  past few years of being able to get on the salt early.  Mr. Lattin knows that.  Those who drag the courses have had to wait til mid July to choose a course and the so called green salt quickly became dry hard rough salt as it did this past summer.  The officials worked tirelessly trying to choose a course and prepare it for the competitors.  They never gave up even after the race began.  Once in awhile Mother Nature works against racers.  We have some of the best most qualified people choosing our courses and preparing them.  These people are experienced and dedicated.

SAFETY............YOU CHOOSE TO RUN YOUR VEHICLE OR KEEP IT ON THE TRAILER. THE THROTTLE WORKS BOTH WAYS.  Caring concerned people prepared the course and continued to work on it all week long in August.  Yes, some of them were even FIREMEN.

FIREMEN.   This is a fun subject.  Men who are loud, intimidating, strong willed, hard headed and totally DEVOTED to our sport.  Yes, I'll even insert the word INTEGRITY.  I've butted heads with them on occasion but I am very proud to stand with them and work with them.  They aren't perfect but they have accomplished so much good.  There is always going to be back biting but SCTA is strong and will survive.  SCTA needs youth and enthusiasm.  It does not need a return to mistakes and mismanagement of the past.  Be careful who you vote for..............Be careful of those who have a PRIVATE AGENDA.

Most competitors could care less who is in leadership.  They want to run their vehicle and go home.  They don't know what goes on behind the scenes.  They don't know what it takes to choose and prepare a course.   NO ONE HAD CONTROL OVER WHAT NATURE DID TO THE SALT THIS PAST YEAR.  

I don't have a vote but I would never vote for someone who tries to rally people together for a write in campaign.  Also, remember the President is only one person.  It will be up to the other ELECTED OFFICIALS TO KEEP A TIGHT REIGN ON WHOEVER IS VOTED IN
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Well ?
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2005, 12:11:50 AM »
Doesn't anyone want to hear what Mike had to say ?
Going to club meetings and standing before the members and answering questions is not such a sneak as some would have you believe.

landracing

« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2005, 12:44:39 AM »
Yes jack D, what does Mike M have to say....

Jon

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Well
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2005, 12:58:43 AM »
I kinda thought somebody might have posted it by now. My scanner is in the office and I don't go their much.
I hve a FAX if somebody wants to have a copy of what I have from him.

Offline KeithTurk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2005, 05:42:57 AM »
You want the way it is.... Vote for Mike... you want something new... vote for Jim...

But the bottom line is Mike's done a great job in the recent past and has the support of the current players... Jim might not be as fortunate... Which means more turmoil if he's elected... and honestly I like it the way it is...

I'm sure not going to blame the folks who busted their collective ass to give us a race course... mother nature can simply be a fickle bitch...

Money numbers are available, all you have to do is ASK...

Bottom line... if your an SCTA member... you really need to VOTE this year....
Keith Turk
 D Gas Modified Sports
 246.555 mph

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
KT is correct
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2005, 09:11:30 AM »
If you knew how it is, you would vote accordingly.
Wide distribution of the available information and questions for the candidates at club meetings will help you along with that.
Until somebody draws a line in the sand, how do you know where you are ?

Offline KeithTurk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2005, 10:30:41 AM »
GPS... Doppler or maybe a Map?

K
Keith Turk
 D Gas Modified Sports
 246.555 mph

dwarner

« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2005, 11:57:17 AM »
If you go the Sidewinders meeting tonight there will be a mano-a-mano debate between the candidates. This will be like the debate on West Wing next Sunday.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
SHH !
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2005, 01:02:42 PM »
Can you keep a secret ?
At least one of them is trying to stand before all the clubs and answer whatever questions that come up.
Can a Puter guy with a scanner post what Mike M. has to say with the ballot mailer ?

"With just a little light on it you will be less likely to trip."

dwarner

« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2005, 11:43:10 AM »
I don't have a scanner, but here is the Candidate Statement from Mike Manghelli. Spelling errors are mine, not Mike's:

I am Mike Manghelli and I am running for the office of SCTA President. Many people have asked me why I am running; the main reason is because no one had stepped up to volunteer for the job! There are current board members that have aspirations of eventually running for president, but need some more time to acquaint themselves with the day to day business of the SCTA. When I first started on the board, there was an unwritten traing session that took place between the Presidents and Vice-Presidents to ensure the VP was ready and willing to take the reins. We have had several new comers to the board lately, but they have not had aspirations of becoming president, that has left us with a recycling of past presidents running the board. I have heard several complaints from people about the recycling, but I see very few stepping up and even fewer willing to take on the responsibilty. Because of this I am willing to support the association as needed in any postion.

Comapred to some people in the SCTA I am a relative new comer. I have only been racing continuously for 30 years. I started as a racer and then like so many others started volunteering my time with the organization. I started helping with hte rule book and inspection then progressed to board postions as Inspection chair, Treasurer, Vice President, President and BNI Chairman. While severing on the board I have remained a racer by winning number one points at El Mirage and helping with four different vehicles, including my own, set records at both El Mirage and Bonneville.

Because of my racer background, I have always and will continue to vote and guide the association to ensure its longevityas an amateur racing venue. This involves many aspects including making sure the association
is financially reponsible and fit, ensuring the development of the property at El Mirage and guiding the rules process to make the sport safe for everyone. My goal is to be able to race when I'm 80 and 90 like so many others in our organization. No where else is this possible like it is in the SCTA and BNI.

I feel the current board has done and will continue to ensure that the SCTA and BNI are viable entities for years to come. If you feel this way also, place a mark in the box. If you have other ideas, contact me or write your name in.

Mike Manghelli

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Same deal , different day.
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2005, 10:17:57 PM »
Today I received a full page mailer that was unsigned.
Is that the sneak that I heard about ?
I wonder what it said and was it true.
If you are not willing to stand up, well you know.

JohnR

« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2005, 12:23:07 AM »
I was at the Sidewinder meeting last night and had the chance to see Both Mike Manghelli and Jim Lattin speak and field questions (Sorry Dan, no fight broke out 8) ). After hearing both sides and asking a question myself I decided to vote for Mike Manghelli.

I am very happy with how things have been run for the last two years. I think the SCTA & BNI boards have done an excellent job and have been very open with all information. They have had to juggle many different wants/needs and have done so very skillfully. In spite of the WF cancellation, the club is still financially healthy. Mike Manghelli is from the same mold and will continue to run the SCTA in the same manner. IMHO thats very desirable.

Jim Lattin's basic presentation is that things have been handled very poorly and he is the man to fix it. But I don't agree that it's broken, so I dont want it "fixed". Sure, I have a few things I would like to see done differently, but they are small, nothing revolutionary. Also, Mr. Lattin's candidacy seems to have stirred up quite alot of negative reaction and that bothers me. We can't move forward unless we all work together. If Jim Lattin is elected, I see an almost constant battle erupting and nothing will get done. Thats bad for all of us.

Anyway, thats my opinion. Take it for what it's worth. But whoever you like, mail in your ballot with either Mikes name checked or with a write in name checked. Despite the ballot having only 1 name running for president, it will be a hotly contested race and the whole election should not be decided by ony a small minority of members. Fill out your ballot NOW and send it in NOW.