Author Topic: Jim Lattin for President??  (Read 25365 times)

JohnR

Re: Most do
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2005, 11:03:06 PM »
Quote from: JackD
The vote is limited to SCTA club members, not BNI. The term is for 1 year and the vote every year. The term limit is 2 in succession. The elected board selects the appointed members up to the limit. The BNI board is selected by them each year and I don't remember if their is a term limit for BNI.

ahhhhhhh. I get it. I was confused because he was talking about his disagreement on how the salt should have been prepared at Bonnevile but he said it prompted him to run for the SCTA presidency. It sounded to me like he should be going for BNI president!

There is one thing in the interview that I did not agree with. That was the thought that SCTA club members should get a discount at BNI events. Even though I would benefit from that if it were put in place, I think it is not in any way fair to all the non So-Cal racers. I believe that everybody should pay the same, regardless of what other clubs they belong too. And I see the SCTA as "another club" since we are all required to be BNI members to run right? Not to mention the fact that non SCTA members would not even get to vote on it! Taxation without representation? why, thats un-American!

All joking aside. As I am new around here, I don't know Mr. Lattin but it sounds like he has had quite a history with the BNI & the SCTA and I respect that. I know Mr. Manghelli has quite a history of service as well. I wish all the candidates for the offices the best of luck and a sincere thank-you for offering thier time and effort for our benefit.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Watch the birdie
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2005, 11:16:16 PM »
The discount for the Speedweek might be appropriate for the SCTA members that work all year to keep it alive and spend more money along the way.
On the other hand it could be the promise of "A bigger chicken in your pot if you vote for me" type of deal and is likely to be heard from both sides.
 I think the discount might be appropriate regardless of who is elected.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

JohnR

Re: Watch the birdie
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2005, 11:57:44 PM »
Quote from: JackD
The discount for the Speedweek might be appropriate for the SCTA members that work all year to keep it alive and spend more money along the way.
On the other hand it could be the promise of "A bigger chicken in your pot if you vote for me" type of deal and is likely to be heard from both sides.
 I think the discount might be appropriate regardless of who is elected.

well, I see your point, but what about me?

I am a 2005 SCTA member but for various reasons I have not raced at a single El Mirage event this year, so SCTA didnt get any extra money from me. Would I still qualify for a BNI discount? And then what about a BNI or save the salt volunteer who is not an SCTA member, should they not get a discount?

And can God make a rock so large that even he can't pick it up? Also, I don't like chicken, too many rubbery veins and tendons for my liking. I'm a steak & potatos man myself.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Ya but
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2005, 12:43:16 AM »
As an SCTA member you pay dues and all clubs have duty assignment for the 6 race season at El Mirage.
Many people that only work Bonneville get other compensation in the form of rooms etc.
It is a long term commitment that is not the case for the BNI member only.
I haven't paid attention lately but at El Mirage they had a higher entry fee for guests and they were not able to set a record. They were limited to 1 event.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

landracing

Jim Lattin for President??
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2005, 01:37:17 AM »
Well you wanted more sides to the story this just released to me, and I was asked to post this as more information or debate to the Jim Lattin interview.

From Mike Waters:

"Roy, thanks for your comments in reference to the Ken Kelly interview. I have another observation to make in that regard. As one of the many folks along with you, who over the years, have been involved in making the early trips to the Bonneville Salt Flats in our quest to provide the "Perfect" or at least the "Best Possible" course (s) for our participants I feel somewhat betrayed. I feel for the numerous folks that have made the journey for no other reason than to accomplish what at times seems like an impossible task. This past year was no doubt, perhaps one of the worst salt conditions in many a year. We have had years of no Speed Week at all and others that took an army of dedicated volunteers to keep the event going. In spite of almost insurmountable odds these folks have done just that, kept things going. I feel that it was inappropriate to criticize all the folks that had to do with our Course prep this past season. They did the best they could with what Mother Nature dealt them. My hats off to them. Mike Waters"

The next two points were also made that were also asked to be posted.

"It is damn hard to find out what the BNI is doing. " (as stated from Lattin interview"

All of the BNI meetings are open and conducted befoe the SCTA meetings. There are no private or secret  meetings. Minutes are prepared and available to any who ask. Normally there are 2 to 4 guests at each meeting . A BNI report is given at every SCTA meeting with a question period at the end. Several ways you can get info: Come to meeting, read minutes, come to SCTA meeting and hear report and/or ask.

"It seems to be a top secret what the BNI finances are"

A total BNI accounting is prepared each year at year end and reported to the SCTA membership. It normally takes a few months for the World Finals bills to get in, so it is generally done in Dec. The BNI monies are organized /earmarked into 3 basic accounts: Operating capitol, Rainout fund (savings) to withstand 3 rainout years per 10 and El Mirage property development . The rest of the $ is filtered back to SCTA in various ways:  Equipment and Supplies, Operating Cash  ( SCTA runs from 10K to 20K in debt each year) Annual SCTA dues offset ( $20 per member last year) , and per diem pay to Salt workers. All this is pubicaly discussed at both SCTA and BNI meetings and published in the minutes

"I can't remember when the Club Reps have taken anything back to the clubs for a vote."

Are you reading your minutes ??

Since traffic and fuel prices caused  the board and reps meeting to be combined, (with clubs approval) all the meetings are a reps meeting; we haven't had a separate board meeting for 2 years. Any issues that any rep feels warranted to take back for input is done so. Warren's minutes may not be perfect, but many of the votes at the meetings are reps votes.

Jon

Offline Pat Kinne / Salt201

• Global Moderator
SCTA/BNI Minutes
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2005, 11:11:41 AM »
Jon - In talking to a couple of "Back East" racers they were wondering is it would be possible to post on your site the SCTA Meeting Minutes - I understand they are available here in SoCal but that does'nt help the rest of the world - or is it not there business.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2005, 11:46:37 AM »
Minutes of the SCTA meeetings are available to all SCTA Club members thru their clubs or by going to their Club meetings to find out what is going on. It should be the club reps responsibility to do this.

When I was Secretary of the Association I sent the minutes to all club Presidents also. I learned this by following the the past practice of doing this. The current Secretary taught me.

SDRC sends these monthly minutes to it's members along with the regular SDRC minutes as information for it's members no matter where they live.  I cannot speak for other clubs.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

JohnR

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2005, 11:57:00 AM »
Quote from: landracing

From Mike Waters:
( SCTA runs from 10K to 20K in debt each year)

Sounds like SCTA members should pay MORE rather than less to run at Bonneville since the BNI events already subsidize the ElMo events!  :o

landracing

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2005, 12:26:53 PM »
I have been currently instructed by Mike Cook that he does NOT want the meeting minutes published. I get the minutes and read thru them... Maybe he can reconsider because I do think its important for everybody to know what the SCTA is up to regarding rule changes, and whatever else is on the agenda as per attains to land speed racing. Even if it has to do with Clubs which do El Mirage, those same rules apply to The salt....

Maybe in the future we can get this done, with whichever president comes to the table can help me get this done wether it be Manghelli or Lattin...

Does the BNI keep meeting minutes I wonder, because whoever runs at Bonneville is a BNI member...

Jon

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2005, 12:48:29 PM »
I confused, If the SCTA holds public meetings that anyone can attend,and has a open book, why don't they want the minutes disclosed on this or any open forum?

JohnR

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2005, 01:04:40 PM »
As an SCTA and BNI member, I would like to see the meeting minutes posted on the SCTA-BNI site as soon as they are approved.

landracing

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2005, 01:28:10 PM »
For example during the Sept meeting they discussed how John Rush was doing better from El Mirage accident and moved to new hospital.
BNI membership for USA is to remain the same, International rates would increase to $80 for them canadians and Mexico and $100 for all other countries

"The SCTA property management is all SCTA and the projected costs to complete the property development is about $180,000.00, discussion.  About $59,000.00 has been spent to date.  "
HEre is some El MIrage property news:

"SCTA Property  - Jim Dunn reported that the mobile home is ready to be moved next week, the skirt h as been removed and the pre-inspections have been done.  It took several tries to get done.  The trailer will be mounted on a permanent foundation as decided by the Board.  The projected costs by Jim were $256,000.00 including the steel building, well, and propane tanks. etc. discussion.  The mobile home costs the trailer park about $65,000.00, the space rent will go from $600.00 per month to $900.00 per month.  The mobile home costs SCTA $7,500.00 plus closing costs."

MOtorcycle tech rules meeting was upcoming.

I sure would like to know what is proposed in the rules meetings???

Manghelli held a wire party and Jim jenson made some new spools for the wire.

Great info thanks guys.

"Inspection Equipment Doug Robinson asked about the ultrasonic roll bar thickness measuring machine.  The purchase was turned down by the Board.  Doug found one for $800.00, can used for thickness measuring/ corrosion damage checking also."

Some other good info, maybe someone on the east coast has an outlet???

This is information we need to get on the website. This is great information and wouldn't everybody like to see these. We sometimes just want to read about whats happening in our LSR world, when we are not racing....

Jon

Offline promachine

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2005, 02:34:41 PM »
You are right, all that is good info. I was able to hear all of it at our
last club meeting two weeks ago. Our club rep. allways brings the
min. from the SCTA-BNI meetings to our club meetings.
So as a LSR club member I can get this info at our meeting, but what
about the racers back east who don`t run in the dirt? They don`t
have to be in a club, just be a member of SCTA-BNI to race at
 B-ville. How are they supposed to keep up with whats going on?
Dirty 2 driver-nitro junkie-H.P. peddler

landracing

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2005, 02:53:31 PM »
The answer is easy, I could post the meeting minutes on this website....

Jon

Offline promachine

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2005, 04:16:15 PM »
That seems like a good idea.
It would also open up alot of discusion and debate over just about
everything. I am not real sure that is as good as it sounds.
How about a poll or a vote on how people feel about this?
Dirty 2 driver-nitro junkie-H.P. peddler