Author Topic: HELMET PAINT  (Read 11163 times)

Offline FADED

HELMET PAINT
« on: April 14, 2010, 11:49:25 AM »
I just got my new SNELL 2010 helmet. I want to have it custom painted. I know in some racing classes its not allowed to have a painted helmet, (they say it affects the integrity) Does SCTA frown upon this or should I be OK?
THANKS LANCE

Offline DallasV

Re: HELMET PAINT
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 12:14:01 PM »
This is from the FAQ on the Snell website

How about aftermarket accessories?
Each year we get a whole bunch of questions about different aftermarket helmet attachments.  The Snell standards and testing applies strictly to whole helmets and how they perform out of the box.  Snell does not test, or qualify aftermarket helmet accessories. We only certify complete helmet structures. The addition, subtraction or modification of any part, component or structure integral to the performance of any Snell certified helmet may void completely, or in part the Foundation's ability to support claims of Snell certification for that helmet. This generally does not include cosmetic changes such as painting, unless it is performed contrary to the manufacturers recommendations.     

I don't know if it answers your question or not. I've seen a lot of painted helmets at the salt, right or wrong I don't know.
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 12:29:49 PM »
Good question.  I had heard that painting can affect the integrity of the helmet - for any of a few reasons.  But having said that -- I've never heard any inspector tell me to disallow a painted helmet when I'm inspecting safety garb - at ECTA or SCTA/BNI events.  My helmet is unpainted -- Nancy's is very painted (air brushed by a company that paints lots of helmets).  Never had any questions raised by the inspectors.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline FADED

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 01:05:05 PM »
cool thanks again guys, I just didnt want to have it painted and then find out I cant use it?
Like my ex used to say it not how fast you run but how you look doing it!

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 04:56:10 PM »
i have never heard of a legitimate sanctioning body rejecting a painted helmet....Ever.... the statement that painting affects the integrity of a helmet is down rite silly after all, don't the manufacturers paint their helmets???? if the helmets materials are affected by normal automotive or air brush paints it probably wasn't a DOT or Snell approved outer shell and you should probably take it back to Walmart.... usually the problem is when a competitor crashes in a helmet then has it custom painted to hide the damage instead of replacing it... a lot of racing organizations will impound a crashed helmet or even cut the strap off of a noticeably damaged helmet so it can not be used again...
Kent

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 05:16:35 PM »
usually the problem is when a competitor crashes in a helmet then has it custom painted to hide the damage instead of replacing it...

The Darwin theory should take care of that. If you feel like wearing a damaged helmet then you deserve the results.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline FADED

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 05:39:36 PM »
I'm thinking most modern helmets are molded in the finished colors. In the old days of laquer paints it was alot more aggressive and could eat into the finish, so because of that some wont allow a painted helmets.
My kids little league wont even allow decals on them. They say because decals are used to hide damage.
Once again if you have a $10.00 head put a $10.00 helmet on it!!

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 09:37:53 PM »
   This brings up an interesting point. Since using a Hans type device requires drilling and attaching anchors to the shell of the helmet, Snell has left themselves a legal "wiggle" out caveat about modifying the structure of the shell. Should they all have to go back to the test stage, or to the lawyer's office?
I can see them lining up now to take the case.
Doug :evil:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline cagedruss

• New folks
    • Racetech
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 10:58:33 PM »
I look at it this way. FIA is the strictest sanctioning body in the World and they allow Rally and F1 drivers to paint their helmets.

Offline JimL

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 12:58:53 AM »
You MUST NOT paint a Buco "Helmet Hat", regardless mens or ladies style.  Our route salesmen brought in some that were custom painted (this was early 1970), and when he dropped one it broke!

I'll bet everyone is glad to have that valuable piece of guidance! :roll:

I'll bet y'all are too young to 'member those!

JimL

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 11:22:52 AM »
What were those helmets we had in the late 60's - early 70's --polycabonate?

Anywho -- went to a roundy-round race back then.  Two competitors got aggressive on the track.  One bumped the other off and won.  Pulled up at the finish line to get the flag and the other one pulled up, too, got out of his car and started yelling, got so mad he threw his helmet on the track and it shattered like a big light bulb.

Stan

(Didn't see a Snell sticker.)
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 03:45:54 PM »
The helmet shell is made from plastic, whether it's fiberglass, lexan, or kevlar.

The solvent in the paint might attack the plastic, but given the fast drying times of the paint I doubt it would have any effect on the structural strength of the helmet. The affected layer would be pretty thin.

You can do far more damage by leaving the helmet out in the sun, exposing it to high heat or freezing temperatures, dropping it . . .

The aging of the shell, the lining and the strap is the reason for replacing your helmet on a regular basis.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

saltfever

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2010, 05:23:56 AM »
It has been a long time since I have read the SNELL spec but I remember it focused on penetration on shock absorption. The helmet is a very complex system and thoroughly tested. If you make modifications, no matter how simple or innocent without testing, you are the test pilot. But so far it is allowed.

Offline 754

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2010, 11:03:27 AM »
Back in the 70,s with polycarbonate helmets, some types of paint did cause problems...

Model T Steve

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2010, 11:29:48 AM »
I would suggest you don't paint them. When we inspect the fancy painted ones looking for the stickers inside it takes us a lot longer to be careful with them.