Author Topic: Classic classes Body year limits  (Read 5731 times)

Offline don pennington

• Cool Old Decals
    • http://www.hotrodmotors.com
Classic classes Body year limits
« on: October 13, 2005, 07:03:52 PM »
Classic classes are limited to 1981 and earlier cars. As is the case with many production cars of the 80s, the bodies are identical over several production years with only minor trim changes. Does the car need to be titled as a 1981 or can you run an identical car that is titled as a 1984?
Old style water decals
www.hotrodmotors.com

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 08:08:23 PM »
What brand are you talking about? I see 1981 in the book and to me it will be 1981 in impounds..Care to comment Dan?
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

dwarner

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 09:41:56 PM »
The majority of our coupes and sedans are GM products. The generation break at 1981/1982 was the deciding factor. There had to be a break somewhere so that is what we used.

Your car will be inspected for the year you claim in your logbook. Be prepared to defend your choice of model year in the case of any questions.

DW

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 09:53:45 PM »
leave your '84 at home. change the sparkplugs in your '81 and bring it to the lakebed!
Kent

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Da proof
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005, 11:45:30 AM »
The burden of proof as to the production status that you are establishing is on you. If there is a feature like a wing, spouler, air dam . or anything that might be added to an otherwise production entry it must be standard product, You must document the assenbly is exactly as presented with factory books that can establish the appropriate date.
"Do your homework."
BTDT 8)
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
classic
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2005, 11:47:12 AM »
Jack is unable to identify or prove he has a body.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
I have it. !
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2005, 12:12:52 PM »
So what is this Doctor sending me the bills for ?
I am not going to worry until he wants cash up front, kinda like tech or the timer. LOL
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
classics
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2005, 12:15:15 PM »
They take bribes in tech.  I think A cold beer would go farther LOL
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
It is just part of the package.
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2005, 12:30:54 PM »
You have to be ready for anything. For example the "Classic Class" usually takes some "Old Frothing Slosh" and special construction is more of a "Jim Beam " type of deal.
English stuff does well with a carton of "Fags".
The bikers are more of a chew and spit type.
Are you writing any of this down ?

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
classics
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2005, 02:22:03 PM »
Jack
You make it sound like the  ( Old Spit and Argue club) in Long Beach,and I think there were a lot of the old ROD RIDERS in it as well,
Good Ol boys politicks wern't a PC thing like today.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
PC
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2005, 06:37:51 PM »
Got it! "PRETTY CRUMBY", I wrote that down.
What else ?
Remember the Rod Riders membership drive before the elections and the purge before the duty meeting ? 8)

Offline don pennington

• Cool Old Decals
    • http://www.hotrodmotors.com
More questions....
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2005, 06:41:51 PM »
I had heard that beverages were very important... in fact the tech guys removed a couple of ice cold six packs from the trunk last year... I think they called them "inappropriate fuel additives"... they said we could get them back at the end of the meet.  Anyway-

I am looking at Buicks . They are virtually identical from 1978 up until 1987.  The main reason for all of this is body availability, do I have to buy an '80 or '81, or can I get a later model car (same body) and change the trim back to the '81 car. I know there are a million of those beaters out there, but I would like to start with a good car.

Another question.... If the '81 car has factory EFI and an engine management computer, can I remove those items (since the rule book does not allow their use in Classic classes) and run the engine with mechanical fuel supply and no computer at all?
Old style water decals
www.hotrodmotors.com

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Nor,mally
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2005, 11:04:22 PM »
Assemble the vehicle to meet the rules to whatever year you are trying to match. If a 78 is the has the desired shape, then make it one of those.
Remember the outside has to be picture perfect to match the year of the vehicle you are entering except for mirrors etc.
The burdon of proof is on you. One of my cars started life as a Monza and I made it into a Buick because the shape was better.
Send a lot of pictures in to avoid surprises.

dwarner

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2005, 01:25:12 PM »
Follow Jack's directions and example.

If you wish to compete in the Classic classes you may remove the factory EFI, etc. A non OEM EFI system will move to the Modified classes.

DW

Offline BAKERSFIELD BOYS

CLASSIC CLASS CARS
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2005, 01:59:21 PM »
GO RACING WITH A REAL CLASSIC BODY STYLE. A CAR FROM THE 1930 TO 1940S. LEAVE THOUSE 1980S CARS IN THE DUMP :roll: OUR 1934 FORD HAS LESS WIND WINDOW THEN THE LARGER CARS.  IF YOU CAN DO IT ADD MORE HP AND WEIGHT AND A DRIVER WITH A SMALL BRAIN. AND LARGE INSURANCE POLICY. YOU KNOW REAL HOT RODS DONT HAVE FENDERS. THE BAKERSFIELD BOYS :wink: