Author Topic: Snell 2005 Motorcycle Helmets  (Read 7539 times)

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Snell 2005 Motorcycle Helmets
« on: October 10, 2005, 09:09:43 AM »
Nancy's birthday anniversary is coming up in less than a month, and her old helmet won't be SCTA or ECTA legal next year, so it's time to shop for a new one for her.  This morning I went to the Snell site (www.smf.org) and found that the 2005 helmet certification list has been posted.  That lists shows all the helmets by brand and model that carry the certification sticker the inspectors look for.  Start your shopping, boys and girls, especially if you've got an M95 sticker in your helmet.  

By the way, I noticed that some helmets with "flip-up" front piece may get approval this year.  Hmmm-- I don't think so for us for racing, but maybe for touring bikers that chew and need to spit frequently. . .

Please, boys and girls, don't send scads of nastygrams back at me telling how the Snell ratings aren't the best or don't reflect the real world or whatever.  I'm just the messenger here, bringing the news that the new rated helmets are commercially available.  And if you're a car-type racer -- well, I think those helmets are on the lists, too.  Go see for yourself.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
snell
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 01:10:17 PM »
Don't pick on Jon, he's sensitive and in the frozen north.
Glen (in the warm south west)
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 08:51:21 PM »
glen
I don't think he is sensitive, I think he is still trying to be PC. I think he is so far north they omitted telling everyone in his area that the golden age of PC is over. He doesn't know the current hip thing is to be "arrogant with a touch of humor" you know, like us!
Kent

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
snell
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 10:57:32 AM »
Jon PC, I doubt it, after all he is a buddy of the fake rock maker. And you know where that can take you. You know, Girly Cameros, Berkly sporty cars and bad habits of cigarettes and diet cola, purple and yellow fire suits, teddy bears and singing Harley riders that break down on the highway. The only sanity in his life is Tonya and she is on tranqulizers fhen around Keith. Oops got off subject, it was Jon's turn in the barrell.
Kent watch out for bullets made in Alabama.
Glen
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 01:10:08 PM »
I've dodged bullets before, kinda use to it! sure wish someone would take the gun away from my wife.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
snell
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 02:45:23 PM »
Kent
Get her a Polish relvolver that has the barrel on backwards.LOL
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
Snell M2005
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2005, 10:58:38 AM »
Sure enough, the new helmet I ordered for Nancy arrived (yesterday) -- with an M2000 sticker inside.  I've emailed the vendor for return authorisation -- we'll see what they tell me.  I know the model is listed as having M2005 certification, so we'll see what story I get.  I'll keep you posted.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: Snell M2005
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2005, 01:08:31 PM »
Quote from: Seldom Seen Slim
Sure enough, the new helmet I ordered for Nancy arrived (yesterday) -- with an M2000 sticker inside.

Guess that is what happens when you are on the "leading edge"  8) .

c ya and I don't miss winter in Wyo. at all anymore.  I'm glad someone still likes to live up north.  Though anymore about Utah?

Sum

Offline bbb

• Aerodynamically Challenged
  • JorNic Motorsports
    • JorNic Motorsports, Charlottesville, Va.
Re: Snell M2005
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2005, 01:13:04 PM »
Quote from: Seldom Seen Slim
Sure enough, the new helmet I ordered for Nancy arrived (yesterday) -- with an M2000 sticker inside.  I've emailed the vendor for return authorisation -- we'll see what they tell me.  I know the model is listed as having M2005 certification, so we'll see what story I get.  I'll keep you posted.

if you have issues with whom ever you bought it from, give these guys a try. they are local to me and do a booming business. good people that have helped me with my motorcycle injury severity study.

http://www.helmetharbor.com

Offline bigtim44

• NaCl addict
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2005, 11:30:02 AM »
So is my snell M2000 lid going to be allright for next years racing?
Salty Box Racing #622 B/DT

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
M2005
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2005, 08:55:33 AM »
Yah, dat Snell M2000 will be okay for the next five years.  The M95's go out of sanction as of the end of this current season, but the 2000's will not for quite a while.  The 2005's just now are reaching the market.  I assume we get a ten-year okay window for helmet certifications.

That said, I won't necessarily try to make a helmet last ten years.  Lots of damage -- some not visible to a casual inspection -- can make a helmet not as safe as it might be during ten years of bouncing around in the trailer, sitting in the hot sun in line, etc, etc.  I want the newest that's available partly because I'm going to have Nancy's (gift) helmet decorated a little bit -- and want to amortize that decoration over as many years as possible.

Also -- maybe the latest cert. rules will make for that much safer a helmet.  Helmets are cheap compared to heads. . .
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Just like people
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2005, 12:22:34 PM »
Helmets and belts have a service life just like many things. The certification period represents the deterioration of the materials over time. Regardless of the care you give it, the chemistry changes and for example the materials in the shell of the helmet continue to cure and lose their ability to absorb a shock over time. The liability insurance industry insists on a standard and the sanction bodies subscribe to that.
You are right it is a money making thing. If they want to make money in business, they need standards and insurability. Without them you can sue the Chinese.
GOOD LUCK
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"