Author Topic: Any experienced TIG alu-welders out there ?  (Read 32107 times)

Offline octane

• Nimbus 750 APS-VBF
Re: Any experienced TIG alu-welders out there ?
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2010, 04:39:33 PM »
Hi Whizz; thanks !

A couple more things to point out. From the sheen on the surface and the light scratch patterns that I can see where you've wire brushed, it looks like the extrusions that you're practicing on may be anodized.If they are you need to do some heavier cleaning to get rid of it before welding. Anodizing is a controlled corrosion process that creates a uniform layer of hard aluminum oxide. The melting temp of the oxide layer (even if it's not anodized, all aluminum has an oxide layer) is MUCH higher than the base layer. If the oxide layer is not completely removed you will have a very hard time welding because the metal under the layer melts before the top skin does, then when the oxide layer lets go you get an instant hole as the molten metal flows out. I recommend sanding it off with a Scotch-Brite pad

Got'ya:

Grind a point on that electrode and give it a try. Angle of the point about like a freshly sharpened pencil, flat tip about 1/3 the total diameter or less, but not a real sharp tip...

Got'ya:

Is this deterioration of the tip after a few minutes use normal? ( Mind you: this tip was flat-tip'ped at the outset)

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY; not bad ...erh ??? :

« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 04:42:18 PM by octane »
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection
not when there is nothing left to add
but when there is nothing left to take away"

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline WhizzbangK.C.

• Ed Bennett, Speed Team Doo Kansas City fab shop.
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2010, 06:51:08 PM »
That looks pretty good  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:

Now cut it and polish the cut. Look at the weld area and see how much penetration you are getting. You are looking for a continuous cross section of solid metal at least as thick as the base material that you are welding.

Do another one and cut it at both ends of the weld. Make a weldment about 2 inches wide. Put it in a vise and whack it with a hammer. Pay attention to how strong it is and where it breaks. It should break next to the weld or not at all. After bending the heck out of it or breaking it, saw it and polish again and look closely.

These tests will give you an idea of what's going on inside the weld and some ideas to improve your process.

Yes, with the thoriated electrodes there will be some deterioration of the tip after welding a while, it seems to be less with the tip sharpened though. Keep your CLEAN AREA WIDTH control set in the middle and it will also be minimized, as well as keeping the material very clean. I think a lot of it is buildup of impurities driven out by the EN phase of the sine wave.

Now practice, evaluate, practice, practice, evaluate, practice, repeat. It will keep getting better and better. Keep us updated. :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:
Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of.  Douglas Adams

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2010, 07:27:34 PM »
What's the black at the start of the weld? I hope you're not touching the electrode to the work to start. If you touch the nozzle to the work and then roll the electrode toward the work it should start easily without a touch. A ceriated or lanthiated tungsten will probably work better than the thoriated as they're designed for those types of machines and use a different method of construction in the electrode. It won't deteriorate so badly.

It looks to me like you have the motion and angle down pretty well but you're still moving a little quickly. Don't be afraid to sit on the puddle a little longer so the puddle extends right into the root of the joint. This probably doesn't mean more heat, just leaving the existing heat on a little longer. Sometimes a little back and forth motion with the torch helps.

Pete

Offline Gwillard

« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2010, 08:49:58 PM »
Sooner or later you'll start to get bored with just running beads. When that happens, and before you weld anything important, set your argon flow to about double what you are running now. Have a buddy slowly reduce the flow rate while you are welding until you notice it not welding worth a crap. This will give you a good idea of what happens when your sheilding is insufficient from either too drafty an area, running out of gas, etc. Then do the same thing but start at your normal flow rate and have your buddy turn it up while you weld. You'll find that there is a range of flow rates that work best and how to tell when it is too high or too low. You'll learn these eventually, might as well learn it now and in a controlled environment.
These guys are giving you some good advice. I think they've run a bead or two before.
Will weld for beer :cheers:

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2010, 01:59:29 PM »
George is being shy, he's about to get, or now has, his Masters in Welding Engineering from The Ohio State University. And I think he's laid down a bead or two, Sporting some of his work in my truck.
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Offline Gwillard

« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2010, 06:02:48 PM »
George is being shy, he's about to get, or now has, his Masters in Welding Engineering from The Ohio State University. And I think he's laid down a bead or two, Sporting some of his work in my truck.

Thanks, Mike. I am actually getting my Bachelors degree this Sunday. Took my last final today.  :-D
Are you making the trek to Maxton?

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2010, 06:08:04 PM »
Geo, congrats  :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Gwillard

« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2010, 07:54:08 PM »
Geo, congrats  :cheers:

Thanks.  :-)

One of the best things that happened during the last few years was getting involved in the Buckeye Bullet and meeting such a great bunch of racers on "The Salt".

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2010, 08:20:43 PM »
Dang, George -- I thought that a five-year student at Michigan Tech was taking a while to get through.  Let's see -- the avatar says you're 47 -- and assuming you started in college at 18 or so, that leaves, umm, nnhh, 29 years to get the bachelor's degree.  I betcha there must be a good story in there somewhere.

Heart congratulations.  Now that you're graduating -- you'll have to start looking for a job.  Maybe a Master's isn't such a bad idea after all.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Gwillard

« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2010, 08:56:50 PM »
Dang, George -- I thought that a five-year student at Michigan Tech was taking a while to get through.  Let's see -- the avatar says you're 47 -- and assuming you started in college at 18 or so, that leaves, umm, nnhh, 29 years to get the bachelor's degree.  I betcha there must be a good story in there somewhere.

Heart congratulations.  Now that you're graduating -- you'll have to start looking for a job.  Maybe a Master's isn't such a bad idea after all.

Thanks Jon.
I started taking classes seven years ago, when i was 40. I am very happy- and proud - to say that I have accepted a position with Lincoln Electric in Cleveland, starting out in their engineer development program. After about a year I hope to be placed in the applications engineering department.

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2010, 09:05:02 PM »
Isn't your new position going to conflict with your salt addiction?   :roll:   Congratulations George!!

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline Gwillard

« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2010, 09:36:48 PM »
Yeah, for the first year.  :-(
The upside is that I'll have an income and be able to start building!  :-D

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2010, 08:52:07 AM »
Bachelor's, Masters, what's a couple years :-)... Congratulations! :cheers:   and yes, going to Maxton. Got a dyno session set up for next Wed. going to see if the drivetrain will hold up finally, tore up the clutch and transmission last year. Been an expensive winter.

I'll quit threadjacking now... gotta new welder to coach in here somewhere

« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 08:54:03 AM by LSR Mike »
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Offline octane

• Nimbus 750 APS-VBF
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2010, 09:14:44 AM »
Thanks George again for all of your brilliant advise
and congratulations on your Bachelors degree!!!
I'm sure it's well deserved!

That looks pretty good  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:

Now cut it and polish the cut. Look at the weld area and see how much penetration you are getting. You are looking for a continuous cross section of solid metal at least as thick as the base material that you are welding.

Do another one and cut it at both ends of the weld. Make a weldment about 2 inches wide. Put it in a vise and whack it with a hammer. Pay attention to how strong it is and where it breaks. It should break next to the weld or not at all. After bending the heck out of it or breaking it, saw it and polish again and look closely.

These tests will give you an idea of what's going on inside the weld and some ideas to improve your process.

Yes, with the thoriated electrodes there will be some deterioration of the tip after welding a while, it seems to be less with the tip sharpened though. Keep your CLEAN AREA WIDTH control set in the middle and it will also be minimized, as well as keeping the material very clean. I think a lot of it is buildup of impurities driven out by the EN phase of the sine wave.

Now practice, evaluate, practice, practice, evaluate, practice, repeat. ..
Thanks Wizz!. I will practice, evaluate, practice, practice, evaluate, practice, repeat
I will practice, evaluate, practice, practice, evaluate, practice, repeat
I will practice, evaluate, practice, practice, evaluate, practice, repeat

.-)

What's the black at the start of the weld? I hope you're not touching the electrode to the work to start.
Ooops: donno......if I did it was by mistake.

If you touch the nozzle to the work and then roll the electrode toward the work it should start easily without a touch. A ceriated or lanthiated tungsten will probably work better than the thoriated as they're designed for those types of machines and use a different method of construction in the electrode. It won't deteriorate so badly.

It looks to me like you have the motion and angle down pretty well but you're still moving a little quickly. Don't be afraid to sit on the puddle a little longer so the puddle extends right into the root of the joint. This probably doesn't mean more heat, just leaving the existing heat on a little longer. Sometimes a little back and forth motion with the torch helps.

Pete
Thanks for your advise  Pete!
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection
not when there is nothing left to add
but when there is nothing left to take away"

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2010, 10:47:43 AM »
Hmm, is Lincoln Electric the company that makes Lincoln welders?  Lincoln used to sponsor the USFRA event (I've got t-shirts to prove it), and maybe with your experience on the Salt and their past connection -- maybe they'll send you out there to represent them.  As I remember, Lincoln went to the event and would weld for competitors when something needed doing.  It was great having that resource there.  It's be greater still to have you there for them (and to get your Salt fix, too).
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com