Author Topic: Any Chance for a new Bonneville Event?  (Read 4795 times)

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
Any Chance for a new Bonneville Event?
« on: October 06, 2005, 01:55:54 PM »
After being flooded out of both Speed Week and World Finals, I would think the SCTA and other bodies would be thinking about scheduling another event.

I can't believe it will be almost another YEAR before I can get some more runs in on the salt. Of course there are hundreds of others who have invested huge amounts of time and money to be able to go, only to have to stay home.

What is the practicality of scheduling an event at Bonneville sooner than next year's Speed Week?
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

SALTRACER

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 02:12:55 PM »
I know that in the past a july met was put on.  Anyone know more about this?

landracing

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 02:19:13 PM »
Don,

I think this is safe to say, NOT PRACTICAL.

You need permits, insurance and most important you need volunteers. That is the tough one. This can be done in a short amount of time, many have proven that...

However the biggest thing is water. Being cool now this late in year there is not enough evaporation to get rid of the moister and already flooded there is alot of water there and no where to go. And you start running into rains and snow this  time of year and last is the pumping project.  Which starts flooding the salt. This goes until I may need some help here but I think May-June.....

Years ago USFRA used to have a tune up meet in July but that has gone away I believe due to salt degrading and the pumping project.... Glen or Jack may be able to clarify that one.... I also remember someone saying that July event was ONLY a tune up meet. No records were given and maybe just one timed mile being the last mile?

Jon

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
A famous racer once said
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 02:35:48 PM »
"The cost to get rained out in Wendover and Australia are abour the same. A buck a mile, either way."(used with permission of the author without credit)
The event is getting larger and the window of time and space getting smaller.
They are victims of each other.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Yup
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 02:46:23 PM »
The first time I ran in a July meet it was 4 miles to a 132ft trap for USFRA club records. They charged a target entry fee and then passed the hat before the end to cover expenses.
I remember returning to the card table at the starting line to get my time and Mary West said I had to back it up with another run. I could go now if I was ready because it was still my turn.  Ronnie Cohn was next to run and he wasn't ready. So I went.
I think they had about 40 entries and things were not so tence.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline DallasV

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 03:09:37 PM »
USFRA used to run meets in June and July. Had about a 20% chance of getting the June meet in and in the 40 to 50% range of getting a july meet in. A lot of money and time spent on trying to prepare for something that has better than half a chance to be canx. Now with the pumping project if all goes as scheduled pumping starts on the 1st of Nov. and runs int march or April I would think the odds go down even further for having an early or late meet. Remember there wer a couple of years in the 80s where we had no meets at all because of water.

Dallas
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
any chance
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 05:41:07 PM »
Dallas is right plus getting enough volunteers with the free time to do it becomes more difficult each year. Just be happy we can pull any of the meets off.
Glen
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2005, 05:54:21 PM »
We have all had it to good. I'm sure Dallas and Jack remembers "Once a  Year" at Bonneville. That's the way is was. A rain out, TS. Now the possibility of 4 times: 3 times for everyone and 1 for M/C's is considered "expected".  With 2 other venues in the States (Maxton & Texas) along with  SCTA's El Mirage's 6 meets, including one 2 day, it appears to me we here are all the lucky ones. What other country does this or could do it.

Perhaps you also haven't thought of all the work to put on any meet let alone add one.  The work time and "volunteer" time is getting to the extreme compared to what we did in the 60's, 70's & 80's.  Vacations are set at the begining of the year for many of these folks and are hard to change.

If we put on a meet like the ones in the 70's and 80's with the amount of competitors today you would never quit "bad mouthing" the SCTA/BNI. 150 entries, one course, and maybe 1 run a day. No one in the pits and the line up was a mile long. Record runs in 2 directions the next day ment you couldn't get a qualifing run in the next day until noon or 1 PM..

Count your blessings, I do, and I spend an extra week helping make it happen. (One of very many).. I hope next year is better but I'll take what ever God gives us (if I can say that)   Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
add
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2005, 06:29:50 PM »
JD, until they put in the years we have it's hard to understand the scope of it all. The prep months before and the follow up after the meets with equipment repares, certifications and tags etc. Its nott over when we go home it folds over onto the next event at the lakes and for the next speedweek and new board members to make it happen once again.
Glen
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
I count all the time
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2005, 06:46:26 PM »
We used to get 4 runs a day at El Mirage. Often I got 5.
 Cagle had only 4 slots on the page but he would scratch out a slow one.
The events are growing larger than they are getting better. I had to laugh at the published photograph of all the people gathered to guide the truck driver for the oil line. It was considered a good thing. That is more than were used to set up a meet with.
Most other racing organizations limit the entries to a managable number. Now with 0 minimums and endless classes that grow faster than the entries, what do you expect ? It would seem we are driven by t-shirt sales and what to do with all the money as opposed to improving the quality of the racing. If this is to be operated as an amateur event by amateurs , the emehasis should br on quality rather than quantity.

I'll bet I didn't score any PR/PC points with that one. :roll:

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2005, 07:40:42 PM »
Yep, I remember being ready to run in the '82 rainout then we didn't get a real speed week in '83 eather. It's next year now, mother nature permiting. Look your cars (and bikes) over during the winter, and remember it's fun!
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
The good old days
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2005, 08:10:05 PM »
The good old days may be gone, but not forgotten.
It helps to establish a value judgement.
The SCTA used to do Drags in the off season for something to do.
 Now more manhours are speant at meetings.
 The racing should be the same but a lot more time is used with new people and the same old problems.
Too much money has created a group that can't trust each other as much.
 It might not be amatuer anymomre.

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2005, 08:56:30 PM »
The good old days may be gone, but not forgotten.
It helps to establish a value judgement.
The SCTA used to do Drags in the off season for something to do.
Now more manhours are speant at meetings.
The racing should be the same but a lot more time is used with new people and the same old problems.
Too much money has created a group that can't trust each other as much.
It might not be amatuer anymomre

I am as amatuer as it gets, we all are.  To me the best part is seeing the same old faces and meeting new people that have the same "passion" for speed as I do..

Hopefully Australia will be good to us as well..

J

Offline hawkwind

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2005, 03:11:04 AM »
Im sure your down under experence will be acceptable  :D if anything it most likely resembles the early days of Bonneville or what i think it would have resembled , looking forward to meeting all you blokes  :D
Gary
slower than most