Author Topic: History Quiz  (Read 19000 times)

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: History Quiz
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2010, 02:52:53 PM »
Ooopps.  I mis-read your comments.  Now I've gotta go to Bob Clancy's inbox and make the correction there.  I think I'll just send him a copy and paste of your Forum post.

Speaking of the contest, how about if we change away from the DVD history video clips?  We didn't have a huge response, and I sure would like it if lots of folks felt thet had a chance to win.  So maybe we could do a "L S R Trivia" contest, with Glen (or somebody that knows everything and isn't afraid to share it with us all) supplying the trivial bits of data and inviting youse guys and girls to figure out the proper response.  

Shall we stick with DVD history videos or switch the contest to trivia?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2010, 11:57:25 AM »
Three days ago I asked if anyone had a preference about the contest changing from a video clip to a trivia contest.  I've got no responses, so I'll make an executive decision and go with the trivia stuff.  Glen and Bob did the work for the video stuff -- and both agree that it was more than they had expected when they volunteered.

So we'll get a trivia question up for the next month -- which month starts on the first of the month.  (I love doing that).  We'll have the same prize -- a DVD from Mark Brazeau.  The trivia question will ask for something about a land speed racing subject -- maybe a vehicle, a person, a record, a certain event, a run, and so on -- whatever Glen, our resident guy that remembers lots of stuff germane to the topic, feels is worthy of being the subject of the contest.  I'll have Bob modify the contest link on the home page - so you'll be able to submit your responses to Glen without them being seen by others.  This'll keep the guessing more private -- your buddy won't see your answer and offer it as an embellishment to his limited knowledge.

We'll start next Thursday.  Thanks, folks. 
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2010, 03:14:10 PM »
All right -- new deal, same prizes.  Here's the story:

Since the video contest went over (in general) like a loud fart in church - we're changing it to a trivia contest.  In the past years, when Jon Amo owned the site, he ran a trivia contest that worked well and generated quite a bit of fun.  So I'll give up on trying to help youse guys learn the history of LSR by making you show your knowledge of stuff that you can learn by watching videos and knowing lots of stuff -- to giving you a single bit of information to find.  Once you've got your answer you'll respond in the same manner - by going to the contest site (on the home page of this website) to send your answer, in complete confidentiality to prevent abuse of your stupidity 'cause you didn't know the real answer, goofball that you are, to Glen or me or someone.  We'll run the contest for a specified length -- probably open for two weeks -- then go through to see who submitted the right answer earliest.  The winner will get either a DVD from Mark Brazeau or one from Brian Leckey -- the fellow that produced the "Landspeed Shootout" DVD about the 2008 Shootout.  By the way, he also, I have learned, produces some episodes of "Mythbusters" -- so he knows what he's doing well enough that his work is good and entertaining.

Anyway -- the first quiz will begin in a few days, once Glen and I come up with a good item.  I saw the Phoenix run more than a few times, and Glen says he timed it EVERY time it ran.  We're giving you the "Phoenix" subject so that relative newcomers will have a better chance to find the correct answer, and we're giving you the hint so that you can start researching.

Pork Pie, you lose by default -- you were too involved with that vehicle.  Same goes for other members of the team -- no fair, you were part of the historic vehicle's story. We'll have a subject that's more difficult for you some other time.

Let the research begin!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2010, 03:39:53 PM »
So it was you  :-D , Jon, who blocked Glen's email provider....so I couldn't get my answer about Mickey Thompson not through. :cry:....why you move me not on the other side....second judge...especially when the answer can go controversy...
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2010, 03:42:33 PM »
Busted!

Good idea about you being an second line of defense, Thomas -- I'll be happy to run any questions about the Phoenix past you for your opinion.  Thanks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2010, 03:52:30 PM »
sick :roll:
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2010, 04:26:01 PM »
Hey, an Irishman  and a German for judges, that's cool. We can confuse them on a daily basis. This might be a good idea, what ya think PorkPie?
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline dw230

« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2010, 08:14:30 PM »
A lot of drinking to be done during judging with those backgrounds.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2010, 08:22:59 PM »
Dan, nothing implied -- but is your comment meant to be taken as a request to join the judging crew?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2010, 08:23:15 PM »
God invented whiskey so that the Irish wouldn't rule the world.  :mrgreen:

Mike KELLY
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline dw230

« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2010, 09:54:40 PM »
No, not joining - I'm waiting to win.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2010, 12:57:20 AM »
No, not joining - I'm waiting to win.

DW

Somehow that doesn't seem fair!   :-D

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2010, 11:25:51 AM »
Okay, one and all, get out the history books -- it's time to start studying the Phoenix.  We'll be starting the LSR Trivia quiz as soon as Bob gets it posted.  Here's the scoop:

First of all, it's a quiz that'll win you a DVD from either Brian Leckey -- Shootout'08, or Mark Brazeau -- various Bonneville and Historical LSR DVDs.  We've got someone else that might toss his DVDs and maybe even a book into the prize ring -- more on that once he confirms or denies his interest.

The first quiz is about some of the little details of the Phoenix.  These are not so hidden by the huge scale of the truck that the answers can't easily be found by anyone, whether old timer or neophyte.  Study hard when you're looking up the Phoenix -- because there's lots of other stuff about the truck that we might use next time -- or six months or so from now.  But study carefully and learn lots about it.

The winner will be the first person that answers both questions correctly and gets the answers sent by email to Glen Barrett.  His contact information will be posted along with the questions on the Quiz page of the home page of landracing.com.  We'll give away a first and second prize, too -- second prize being another of the DVDs I've been donated to use as gifts.  If the third publisher/producer decides to participate -- well, we'll have a third prize, maybe, too.

I'm sorry to have to single you out here, Pork Pie -- but glad to be able to brag about your intimate knowledge of the Phoenix.  For those of you that didn't know it, PP did quite a bit with the Phoenix team - working on the aero package for the humongous truck.  Because of his involvement I've got to rules him ineligible to win this contest.  Of course - since all responses go to Glen -- I suppose you could send something only to him to show off how much you know about the truck, Thomas.

Okay, there you go, boys and girls.  Get out your history books and start learning all about the giant green truck that is one of the most famous, most favorite vehicles at Bonneville.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2010, 11:41:36 AM »
Well, that didn't take long.  We've got another prize giver on board.

Dick Lague has "World's Fastest Motorcycle" books and DVDs and the book "The Ack Attack", and these items are now added to the list of prizes offered to the two winners of the trivia quiz.  Bob will sooner or later get the photos of all of the prizes posted on the home page and also on the "quiz page" -- so youll be able to see, over the space of a few logins, all of what's available to you folks that know lots of stuff. 

Thank you very much, Dick.

Final note for this post:  Dick Lague, Mark Brazeau, and Brian Leckey have all produced some fine stuff showing tons of land speed racing videos and history.  Please consider visiting their respective sites and shopping -- and then buying -- what they offer.  It's a good way to thank them for helping promote land speed racing AND landracing.com

Thanks -- and have at it!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2010, 12:08:18 PM »
Once again we will not allow the same person to win two times in a row. We want it to be fair to everyone. As there is much history to be used we are going to try and add a motorcycle question as well. I am working on that right now. Enjoy the fun.
 :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah