Author Topic: History Quiz  (Read 18987 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: History Quiz
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2010, 07:23:05 PM »
how about I call him Billy Bob, I'll be 1/2 right :-o
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2010, 07:24:22 PM »
I will let you know tomorrow on  my choice for the 1st. contest
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2010, 11:24:10 AM »
Hey, hey, HEY!  Glen's made his selection of the first video clip that we'll use for the contest.  bob's busy ripping the selection from the DVD and will post it, along with some suggestions from Glen about what we want when you make your guesses and comments about the vehicle.  We'll run the contest for at least a couple of weeks and then have Glen tell us who did the best job of identifying the race vehicle and the story behind it.

This is gonna be cool. . .
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

trialsguy

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2010, 11:10:14 AM »
Ok, the first clip is posted.  I haven't heard how long the contest will run, I'll put that up soon's I hear.

Billy Bob the Web Elf
From the mountains outside Albuquerque

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2010, 06:24:26 PM »
Bob lets run it one week, I have already started to get e-Mail :-D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2010, 02:23:30 PM »
Here's your reminder that the LSR contest is up and running.  Go to the website's homepage (www.landracing.com) and find the "History quiz" thingie in the middle of the right column.  Click there and follow 'til you watch the video.  There's an address (Glen Barrett's) for you to email your responses.  Note that the address is one you'll have to type in (or use your computer address book's memory) so the spambots don't harvest Glen's addy.  Anyway, watch the video and send all of the stuff you know about it to Glen.  He'll judge who's got the best response/answers -- and we'll awarda Mark Brazeau DVD to the best and second-best answers each month.  One of the DVDs will be the "Good Ol' Days, the other one of the recent race-event summary videos (i.e. SpeedWeek '09, etc).  We'll put up a new video on the first of the month, and once the "contest" is closed -- will post the best of the responses so we can all read, enjoy, and learn some more.

Get your hiney in gear and help all of us learn about the history of this wonderful sport/avocation/illness called land speed racing.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2010, 09:54:30 AM »
I remind you once again that the video contest is up and running.  And this time I'll point out that only a few of youse guys have submitted responses to Glen - the official adjudicator.  What's up?  We thought that the "contest" would be an easy way to enrich the knowledge of lots of people about the history of land speed racing.  History includes not all that long ago, too -- not just the '49ers and so on.  This first one is not brand-new, but it's an example of what we'd like to have the contest do.

Go to the home page, click on the "video quiz" link and follow through 'til you see the clip.  Even if you don't have a clue about the vehicle -- would you be so kind as to let Glen and me know that you took a look?  That'll give us better feedback on whether the idea should be allowed to die a quiet death - or should be continued.

Remember -- the two best responses win a Mark Brazeau DVD about Bonneville.  Nice prize for watch a video clip about our favorite thing, hey?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2010, 01:49:20 PM »
I looked Glen.. :-D

Thanks to all that put this together, Marks DVD's are first class.  :cheers:

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2010, 02:00:50 PM »
OK Noonan, but you didn't answer the quiz.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2010, 03:29:07 PM »
My steam-powered machine couldn't read the video.  But, with steam, I'm  green!
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2010, 11:52:04 AM »
Hey, hey, HEY!  We've got a winner for the first-ever LSR History Video contest.  Glen Barrett, as you may remember, chooses a specific vehicle from one of the many shown in Mark Brazeau's "Good Ol' Days" DVD.  We post it, under the "History Quiz" button on the home page, and you folks are invited to view it and tell Glen (our judge) as much as you can about the vehicle -- driver/rider name, history of the car, eventual records set and held, sponsors, builders, and so on as far as you can.

Only four people submitted entries this time around.  That's a disappointment - because one of the contest's raison d'Etre (reason for being there) is to help one and all work on learning some history of our sport/avocation.  GTake your shots, ladies and gentlemen, offer some wild-a** guesses, try -- because your posts, whether right or wrong, can help all of us learn.

Okay - back to the first contest.  The winner is one of our Forum "lurkers", but a guy that some of you might have heard of.  The first place award - one of Mark's DVDs -- is Tom Burkland.  Runner up is Jim Dincau -- and him you'll see on the Forum kinda regularly.  Other entries were from Tom Bryant and Udo Horn.

I've asked Glen to find, if he can, a vehicle that's historic -- yet not too much so -- so that more folks will recognize it enough to risk the public ridicule (?) that they'd endure if they get it way the heck off base when offering responses.  The next contest will run the same way as this first one.  We'll post the video clip on the first of the month (April 1 - April Fool''s Day, no less) and let the entries roll in for a couple or three of weeks.

Ready or not, here we go again.  Thanks for your continuing interest in land speed racing.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2010, 01:57:20 PM »
Congrats guys..Marks Video's are Great.  :cheers:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2010, 02:09:06 PM »
So I'll have Bob post Tom's winning data - so we can all study it and learn.  I'll give you the big hint -- that car went on to become Mickey Thompson's Challenger.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2010, 02:40:32 PM »
Actually Jon it was the deciding factor to build the 4 engine Challenger. With the success of the twin car running the speeds near 300 mph. They went home and started the design to go after the worlds record. The rest is history.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2010, 02:50:26 PM »
Congratulations to the 4 people who entered the contest!!   :cheers:

Congratulations to SSS for having a successful contest (four is better than one or none)!!   :cheers:

And, Congratulations to Glen for being such a fine judge!!   :cheers:

Can't wait to see what they wrote, the history is going to be spectacular....and preserved!! 

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!