Author Topic: History Quiz  (Read 18991 times)

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
Re: History Quiz
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 12:12:31 PM »
A history contest=FR will resurface :-o
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 12:26:45 PM »
Boy, you know how to darken a guy's day, don't you?

Good point - but I've got him set at "perma-ban" for now.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 12:43:08 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2010, 11:43:56 AM »
Okay --  it's been a week or so since this subject line came up, so here's where we are now:

Marl Brazeau has senbt, and I have received, a handful of DVDs.  So we've got the prizes.  Then we'll need the basic concept of the contest, and I haven't seen any that are far and away better than Mark's idea.  That was shown about 6 posts ago, but I'll also sort of paraphrase it here.  We'll post a video (maybe a couple of them) showing one car or bike form the history of land speed racing.  Might be many years ago (like back when Glen's hair was darker and Freud was a buff young stuf, you know) -- might be a much more modern vehicle.  Anyway, whatever we show will be just one vehicle.  We'll run the video clip for a few weeks and ask you boys and girls to offer your interpretation.  We'll want the year when the car or bike ran in the video (as close as you and we can get it), and we'll ask you to give a history of the vehicle -- maybe some of the places it ran, some of the speeds, some of the drivers -- and the more correct stuff you give, the better your chance of winning.

We'll give out two DVDs per video clip - best and second-best story.

How's that sound?  Okay?  Good - I hoped so.  Next, however, is the bigger part of the "problem" for me.  I personally don't have a deep knowledge of LSR history, so that kinda disqualifies me for being the main judge.  Second -- since Nancy and I now have full-time jobs with Kudos Laser Engraving -- I don't have nearly as much spare time as I used to, back last year, for instance, to read and "judge" the entries.  Who among you wants to be the "judge"?  I'll compensate you with some really nice stuff -- like maybe a DVD or two, maybe your very own landracing.com t-shirt or engraved beer glass (hey, we're an engraving company, you know. . .)

Volunteers, line up and let me know!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2010, 11:57:59 AM »
Jon, I would consider it. It would be an unfair advantage for me to enter the contest with all of the years on the salt and lakes. Maybe Dan W. or even Jack D. would come back on. Could be a lot of fun. Go for it.

And yes Mark's DVD's are great. I probably have every one he has done.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2010, 02:32:32 PM »
I vote for Glen and Dan to be judges!!!  With their knowledge and background....well, seems to me just about everything is covered!!   :-D    And if you need a 3rd judge,  how about Freud?!!  Between the 3 of them there's over 150 years experience.....dang, I didn't know they were that old!!   :roll:

I'm-gonna-pay-for-that-remark Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2010, 03:21:13 PM »
So -- shall we let Glen choose the video clips, too?  (I'm asking him via this post, you see. . .).  What we'll have to do is have Glen choose the clip and somehow get Bob, the web guy, the video - so he can post it.  It'll be viewable via a button on the home page of the website -- not the Forum.

The folks that "answer" the question by giving the details -- the car or bike details, the year, the builder, the driver, the crew, the records set, the number of spins, and so on -- all you can give -- will answer by posting on the Forum.  We'll have an ongoing thread there for the "LSR Video Contest", and the first/best answer will be the winner.  Depending on how many DVDs Mark has sent me I'll give out first and second place DVDs each month.

Over to you, Glen.   And take Lynda's suggestion if you'd like -- ask Dan and Freud (and anyone else that has lots of knowledge of the history) to help you adjudicate.

By the way -- the last few DVDs I got from Mark (I haven't tried this latest shipment, but will tonight) won't play on my Apple computers, so I wasn't able to figure out how we'll chop out just one clip at a time.  Sure hope I can figure it out.  I've got new software in the iMac -- maybe it'll fix the problem.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline salt27

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2010, 03:28:36 PM »
I vote for Glen and Dan to be judges!!!  With their knowledge and background....well, seems to me just about everything is covered!!   :-D    And if you need a 3rd judge,  how about Freud?!!  Between the 3 of them there's over 150 years experience.....dang, I didn't know they were that old!!   :roll:quote]

I second it.

Don

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2010, 10:09:05 PM »
HOO,BOY!!....Sounds like a great excuse for me NOT to be out in the shop....I have devoured Bonneville history since my Dad got me my first American Hot Rod book many years ago at age 12...Fawcett`s How To Build And Race Hot Rods....after seeing that large black and white photo of Denny Larsen`s Dreamliner being pushed off.....I was Toast.....Then being at the Salt for the first time in `84....really looking forward to LEARNING more versus winning anything....... :-D

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2010, 04:00:10 PM »
It's been a couple of weeks, so I'll tell you now that we're just about ready with the land speed history video contest.  Bob's got his DVDs from Mark Brazeau and has figured out how to grab a clip and put it on the home page of this website.  Glen will be selecting the clip and will be the "judge" of the responses.  We'll run the contest for at least two weeks each month - maybe longer if we're not getting enough responses from youse guys. 

You'll go to the home page, please, and click on the contest button.  Then you'll get a page telling you of the basics of the contest and a "click here" to get the video.  You'll watch the video and try to figure out who, what, when, and whatever you can about the featured vehicle.  You're to write a bit telling us of the history -- the more you know, the merrier we'll all be.  Records held, drivers/riders, drivers or riders that got into the Club on this vehicle, crew members, home town, sponsors -- the more the better.  Remember that the basic idea here is to help all of us learn more about the history behind our daily time-taker-upper -- land speed racing.

So - you'll send your responses to the address/link that'll be on the contest page -- so that others don't scarf up your knowledge and use it to augment theirs.  We'll have Glen scan through your stuff and judge how close to the truth your answer is.  Glen's old -- he remembers lots of the LSR stuff, and if he can't figure out something, don't worry, we've got lots of others that will contribute.

Once we've ended the contest of the month we'll announce the winner, who will get a copy of Mark Brazeau's DVD "The Good Ol' Days", and the "runner-up" will get a DVD -- probably the SpeedWeek '09, depending on what Mark has sent to me.

Oh, yeah -- Mark gets a bit of publicity out of this - in the way of an ad for his DVDs on the website.  Please look at that ad and maybe shop his stuff -- and even buy some of it.  He's a big supporter of land speed racing -- and hey, maybe you'll be in one of the DVDs one of these days, too.

So - the contest will start in a week or so -- maybe we'll aim for the first of March, okay?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2010, 04:18:54 PM »
Jon,

After each contest is over, will you post all of the information gathered on each one?  Or, did you already answer that and I missed it?  Just wondering, since I'll be strictly spectator, cuz I don't know any of the stuff!

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2010, 09:22:29 AM »
Good question, Lynda.  Yes, I agree that it'll make the contest a whole bunch more informative for everyone if the responses are all shown -- so we can read 'em and maybe learn.  I hadn't thought of asking Bob to set it up so we can do that -- but will now.

Oh, yeah -- another thing I thought about is that we won't have ONLY old/historical racer stuff on the contest -- so that we give the newer LSR folks a chance at winning a DVD, too.    We'll help spread the information about cars and bikes running today -- and all will learn even more.  Thanks for asking.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2010, 11:12:57 AM »
As Jon knows this is still in the works and will take some adjustments along the way. The old and the new are still history and should be a lot of fun when we figure it out. I talked to Mark last Saturday and it is his stuff that will make it happen. He has spent hundreds of hours putting videos and DVD's together on LSR. They are well worth the price and any real racer would be proud to own them. He is a supporter of this web site and covers every major meet on the salt and the dry lake.

So I guess what I am saying is our work is cut out for this contest thing but thanks to Mark, Jon and Bill Clancy we will make it work.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2010, 11:16:44 AM »
Unh, Glen, pardon me -- but Bill Clancy's name is Bob.  But hey, he's in suburban Albuquerque -- what difference does it make?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2010, 11:35:09 AM »
Just dont call him Ray. :evil:

Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2010, 07:20:04 PM »
Okay, Bob's got the basic rules listed (for the LSR history  contest).  I forgot to mention in the stuff he put up there -- that we will be posting the various answers/responses once the "judging" is over -- so we can all share in the freshly-exposed knowledge.  I said this a few posts above here -- but will try to get it into the rules so that you can all see it there, too.  It's important that we post all of the stuff (and maybe, if you feel we shouldn't tell folks who submitted what, we'll allow you to choose to remain anonymous so your goofy-Acura guesses don't make you too embarrassed.

We're getting close -- i want to start this next Monday, the first of March, if Glen can choose what/who will be the first.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com