Author Topic: New Racer Seeking input  (Read 6843 times)

Godzilladude

New Racer Seeking input
« on: September 28, 2005, 03:31:02 PM »
Hey,
I'm new here, so I hope you'll pardon the ignorance. I was hoping to come up for the World Finals, get my first look at the salt, and talk to folks there. But now that doesn't sound likely, so if its alright, I'd like to ask a few things here.

I want to take a street legal 2004 GTO to 200+. Not especially much over that, but to 201, 205, whatever. Worse, I really want it to be a streetable car, my daily driver. So to me that means a Turbo, methanol injection, maybe 8PSI on the LS1, around 550HP, should get us in the ballpark, while still leaving it streetable.

The first issue I ran into was tires. I've read a lot of discussion on here, but its left me confused. Will I be allowed to run my Goodyear F1 GS-D3 Y rated tires? I'll never get the GY ELSs under the car without replacing the rotors (which are too big), big pain and expense. And it sounds like there are really no other alternatives.

General views on carbon fiber driveshafts? The factory GTO one small, two-piece, and supposedly a real weak link when HP numbers start growing.

Think I'll need extra fluid radiators? Transmission (its an auto), oil, something else? I know its recommended to have an extra half-quart of oil for high speed running.

I figured replacing the pinion gear with a 3.07, the overdrive is 0.7, the tires are 25.68 or so tall, so around 5600 rpm for 200, which should be right in the wheelhouse for a turbo LS1. Sound believable?

Like others, I'd likely come up to run the 130 and 150 clubs first, crawling around other folks' cars between runs, as I'm sure there is only a 100 or so things I haven't even thought about yet.

Still gotta order my rulebook. I was hoping to pick one up in a couple weeks in person, oh well.

I ran the Texas Mile last spring, first GTO to do it, turned consistent 145-150 speeds. Only made 20 or so runs, just drove it in circles, the car did it with ease, in stone stock trim, no turbo. Likely around 165-170 factory top end. Its that next 30-35 that is going to get expensive.

Anyway, wish the moron luck, any opinions, suggestions, or lectures welcome. :D

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
New Racer Seeking input
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 10:30:37 PM »
zilla
145 i'm thinkin thats pretty good for a stocker. did that thing have speed limiter stock? welcome to the board
KR

Offline jimmy six

New Racer Seeking input
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 11:26:33 PM »
Welcome. I highly recommend a rulebook FIRST before asking a lot of questions here.   You can also also request a entry check off sheet which will cover most of what will be looked at on your vehicle prior to entry and running. Some here will gladly send you one but it is useless without the "book".

You will get many "opinions" which may or may not be right.

At an STCA-BNI meet you must meet the speed requirements of the class record;  which may mean tires of a higher rating than what you think. The SCTA however does make some allowances which will be directed by the Chief Inspector and Technical Chairman.

After gutting your interior, installing a complete roll cage, $1000 fire system, $1200 -20 fire suit w/gloves and boots, $500 helmet & limb restraints, parachute, unpadded non-moving race seat, wheel studs w/1" nuts, etc: the "Bonneville tires will be a piece of cake.

Good Luck

PS: this not to discourage you we ALL go thru it especially over 200. There are SCTA inspectors who monitor what's here and can and will help.  Without vehicles all we can do is drink beer. (MGD is my choice)
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline jimmy six

New Racer Seeking input
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005, 11:47:33 PM »
OPPs! ! !  Gut the interior enough to put the cage in. Didn't meant to sacre ya..
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
New guy stuff
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 09:18:00 AM »
Buy FOUR rulebooks:
One for the living room, one for your shop, one for the office, and most important, one for the bathroom.  Mark your name on each -- you'll have a better chance of getting them back when you lend 'em out.  Put sticky-notes on the pages for your chosen class rules and chosen class records.

Patronize the advertisers that are listed in the back.  Notice that there are listings of the various sanctioning organizations and officials.  And there's lodging information for Wendover, too.

When all else fails, read the rulebook BEFORE asking a question, then be ready to be referred to a specific rule/page in the book in lieu of getting the question answered.  (This helps you learn the rule, and helps you learn to look before you ask).
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Godzilladude

New Racer Seeking input
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005, 11:08:47 AM »
The stock speed limiter on the GTO is set at 155, turned it off when I had it tuned. Locker room talk, not anything I'd personally know about :roll: , shows HP-vs-drag top end around 165-170. The '05s have 50HP more, so a few more MPH above that.

I hope to pick up a rulebook while in SLC in a couple weeks. If not, I'll get it ordered. Yeah, I've already been planning out the roll cage, fire suit, fire suppression, yadda yadda. I was just getting stumped at what to do about tires and wheels. Looks like 200+ rated tires are a bit hard to come by, and there seems to be a bit of conversation about what is really safest. And me, I think doing it safe is sort of the point. Those guys on motorcycles, brrrr. There were a couple Hyabusas at The Texas Mile, one guy hitting 180, and the guy with the bottle hitting 190+. On tarmac, with many half a mile to shutdown and get turned around. They had those sorta semi-armored suits on, I'm thinking yeah, that's great, that way when they bring along the trash bag to pick up the pieces, you'll be broken up into nice sections for them, an arm here, a leg there, etc.

I'll be interested in seeing how the other late-model stock body folks handle the tire question. And of course to see if I can even get this done. Talk is cheap, and I'll bet y'all have heard a lot of it over the years. Your patience is appreciated.
Paul

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
New Racer Seeking input
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2005, 12:23:25 PM »
Godzilladude,
I like your plan, looking at the hp numbers and assuming that your car would go 170 "as is" stock you will need about 65%-70% more HPs to go 200 so that would be pretty close to the 600 mark. Depending on how you want to go about making this extra power, but if you plan to go the turbo route I would highly suggest talking to John Romero at AEM, I think he is in their development engineering. He made around 600 HPs with his 90 cu. inch rice burner without killing the engine and he really has the alky injection setup figured out. Plus he is a good guy.

You may want to just suck it up and go with the Goodyear Bonny tires. Expensive but probably the way to go.

Do it!!! I am looking forward to seeing next year at the salt.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Rex Schimmer

New Racer Seeking input
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2005, 12:24:03 PM »
Godzilladude,
I like your plan, looking at the hp numbers and assuming that your car would go 170 "as is" stock you will need about 65%-70% more HPs to go 200 so that would be pretty close to the 600 mark. Depending on how you want to go about making this extra power, but if you plan to go the turbo route I would highly suggest talking to John Romero at AEM, I think he is in their development engineering. He made around 600 HPs with his 90 cu. inch rice burner without killing the engine and he really has the alky injection setup figured out. Plus he is a good guy.

You may want to just suck it up and go with the Goodyear Bonny tires. Expensive but probably the way to go.

Do it!!! I am looking forward to seeing next year at the salt.

Rex
Rex

Offline 1212FBGS

New Racer Seeking input
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2005, 12:48:22 PM »
zilla, is your problem the brake disc wont fit inside a 15" rim? Heck run vr and zr up to 200. When you get there make the brake wheel tire changes. 145 to 200 is a big jump there is a lot of wisdom on sneaking up to 200mph short wheelbase+rookie=spin. You can have fun while sneaking up on success.
kr

Offline jimmy six

New Racer Seeking input
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2005, 02:06:51 PM »
Thanks Slim, someone who understands how many books are needed. + the $40.00

I never thought about rim diameter on the new cars with factory 16, 17, & 18" rims. If 15" can be used. M & H fronts are used by many and 26' and 28"  Good Years on the back. The use of 4 & 5" width rims may help with the fit on brakes.

There are a few 16" narrow tires available for over 200 mph.

Some have sucsessfully used wide treaded tires but most feel at high speed the tendency of air under the tires makes the car want to be harder to drive.

I hope you do not get discouraged. Good Luck.

Godzilladude

New Racer Seeking input
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2005, 02:54:24 PM »
Yeah, the brake calipers bearly fit under the stock 17" rims. No way to get 15" on there, unless I change everything out, and this is an Aussie car, made in small numbers, 4-wheel disc, getting different rotors and calipers would be damn expensive, have to all be custom made. Most everything else I can think of, or think MIGHT be an issue, that I've come up with so far, I can get OEMed somewhere.

Wilwood makes the hats, I wonder if they offer a damn tiny size, like 10", with a caliper? Hmmm.

Its good to have challenges.
Paul

Offline Rex Schimmer

New Racer Seeking input
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2005, 11:36:29 AM »
Zilladude,
It is only money, with enough you can make anything happen$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Rex
Rex

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Forget but don't forget
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2005, 12:29:48 PM »
Forget the front brakes and save the money. Just take them off.
That car will produce about 1200 lbs of lift at the rear at 200mph. If the back end unloads enough to break traction, you will thrill the crowd and see the sights all around. Consider the weight and balance at the speed you wish to go. A 6k lb car might go really straight, but you are going to have a problem getting it to go fast.
A removable roll cage does not require the car to be gutted. Don't be scared by that roadster guy. LOL
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline 1212FBGS

New Racer Seeking input
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2005, 12:53:14 PM »
jack with no interior there is less to burn if it catches on fire

landracing

New Racer Seeking input
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2005, 01:10:19 PM »
And if he removed the interior and wrecks the car he can advertise it for sale with "Excellent Interior"

Jon

Godzilladude we are just giving you a hard time. I have seen plenty of vehicles out there with "Stock" interior and have a real nice legal roll cage. Get er done, with driving on regular street in Denver a roll cage doesnt sound half bad anyway.