Author Topic: Memberships  (Read 14097 times)

HotRodV8

Re: Memberships
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2010, 10:58:21 AM »
Debbie - -

You are right about drinking enough water, my problem is when I'm busy thrashing with the crew, I might forget to. Since my 8 yr old daughter will be there with me, she can be my reminder.

Plus, she can be my excuse too, to take an extra potty break for her and check out more of those big numbers painted on those "shiny things" of all shapes and sizes. Thanks for the quick tip to help make my (our) first visit a successful one.

If you are going to be at SW and you did all those 200 + mph in your signature section, I'm sure my daughter would like to have your autograph in her collection. As a 24/7 Dad it is my job to teach and show her the unlimited things that girls can do. In racing on salt or other forms, it is a good place to compete and achieve. A excellent life lesson.

Bill

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2010, 12:30:51 PM »
We plan to be at SW and can be found near the Seldom Seen Slim trailer and around the Scott Guthrie Racing folk as well. Be sure to look up Nancy of SSS as she's one fast record holding bike chick as well! Leslie Porterfield is usually found at SW so that's three of us bike chicks right there. Also look up Dr Jeannie Pflum, she's in the 300 chapter of the 2 club on 4 wheels and is actively pursing 200mph on 2 wheels. Hmm and there's Tonya Turk who's broke 250 on 4 wheels. Of course there's more gals out there running fast in various configurations. All of those ladies I mentioned are super nice and have been there the last few years and I'm sure will be there again. I'm sure they'd all love to meet your daughter & speak with her as would I. I just love encouraging girls to be all they can be. I'm amongst the last generation of the "girls can't do that" mentality so I love the fact that today's girls know no limits and aren't subjected to the stereotypes of my generation! 8-)

Maybe if you post (or pm) what team you'll be working with I can keep an eye out for you on one of my potty breaks!  8-)
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

HotRodV8

« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2010, 02:33:42 PM »
DahMurf - -

Thanks for the list of bike chicks. This is exactly what I need to make my daughters first salt visit more meaningful. I'm trying to introduce her to the sport I love so much.

I know of Nancy Wennerberg but I am not familiar with the other names. I will try and get pictures of their rides, 2 or 4 wheels, and paste them in her autograph book. Easier to keep track of who we will be looking for.

I am thankful for your added encouragement for me to continue to teach my daughter to be all she can be, even on a salt flats platform.

Bill

Check your PM tomorrow. I'm in a hurry, my daughter is singing in a school concert tonight and I have to buy her a new pair of black shoes and then get a bouquet of roses (secretly).

Offline Mac

« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2010, 02:10:58 AM »
Hi Bill,
We have been bringing our kids to the salt for the last 3 years and they have gradually gotten the hang of things. My daughter will be 10 and son 11 this Speed Week. They get really excited when things go well and have also had to cope with things when they don't (Mom catching on fire at 190+ mph).  However this season they are keen to learn about crewing and about pins and strapping in etc. We will also have another of our driver's 14 year old daughter with us learning the ropes as well. Feel free to come and visit. If nothing else, your daughter will have some more playmates who share her new found hobby. My daughter is hanging out for her 16th birthday when she can learn to drive and follow her Mom. If I don't have a headful of white hairs by then, I certainly will after she starts racing. My car is #4240 and I will be trying for 200 this year (again) - hopefully with less drama. 

Miriam

Offline Bville701

« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2010, 12:48:24 PM »
HotRod,

Another very fast female driver is Tanis Hammond. She can be found with Dr. Jeannie Pflum. Another 200MPH club member is Larry Volk's daughter Allison. All the ladies that race at Bonneville are a great group of gals and I'm sure they won't mind if you stop by to say hi. As always, everyone is welcome at the LeFevers pit at Speedweek or El Mirage. Look us up. See you in August.    :cheers:

LeFevers & Jesel
701 C/GMR (its the red one)  :-D
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

HotRodV8

« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2010, 10:11:33 PM »
Bville 701 - -

Thanks for the invite to visit your pit. I'll make a copy of your post and put it in my B'ville book of invites.

My first visit to the salt will be SW. I'm already hooked on salt and will crew this year and start racing next year. I want to be sure my daughter has a great first impression of her first visit to Dad's favorite sport because she will be coming with me for years to come. Meeting some of the girl racers should impress her on how much fun you can have, my fingers are crossed.

Thanks for the additional names for my daughter to get an autograph. I need to look up their vehicles and numbers, I'm making an autograph page for each one.  :-D 

WILL See ya in August... red roadster

Bill

HotRodV8

« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2010, 11:06:07 PM »
Hi Bill,
We have been bringing our kids to the salt for the last 3 years and they have gradually gotten the hang of things. My daughter will be 10 and son 11 this Speed Week. They get really excited when things go well and have also had to cope with things when they don't (Mom catching on fire at 190+ mph).  However this season they are keen to learn about crewing and about pins and strapping in etc. We will also have another of our driver's 14 year old daughter with us learning the ropes as well. Feel free to come and visit. If nothing else, your daughter will have some more playmates who share her new found hobby. My daughter is hanging out for her 16th birthday when she can learn to drive and follow her Mom. If I don't have a headful of white hairs by then, I certainly will after she starts racing. My car is #4240 and I will be trying for 200 this year (again) - hopefully with less drama. 

Miriam

Miriam - -

I am glad to hear first hand that my "want-to-be" sport of salt racing can be and actually IS family friendly. I couldn't guarantee my daughter that she would meet other kids with family members at B'ville that race. But, now I know some kids will be there and we may get to have some playmate time. These were details that were important to me. Thanks for the invite to visit.

If we get a chance to meet, I'd sure like your 2 cents on IF, WHEN and HOW I should offer my 8 yr old daughter the opportunity to race on the salt as I will do. I haven't raced since she was born, nor for the last 40 years. I would like to see her race, but I will not push. I keep looking for signs of my racing genes in her and I think it is still a bit early. However, I can say she sure can race against friends on some of those Wii games. I can see the competition factor. Are those my racing genes I see? I'd be interested to know how you found out when your daughter said "Mom, I wanna race a . . .

Tell the "fire spirits" you've "been there - done that" and this year put all that drama into that timing slip that reads the big 200+  :-D
Wishing you the best, you should have one of the largest built-in rooting section to cheer you on. And you can add us to that group too. Plus, if you run 200 mph my daughter will ask for your autograph. Now, that has to be worth a mph or two. No?  :-)

We will look for the #4240 car. . .  (in impound  :-D)

Bill

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2010, 09:46:44 AM »
Bill:

As for an autograph page -- it's pretty common for folks to get their souvenir autographs written by the racer's entry listing in the program.  For Tannis -- look in the lakester section, and for Jeannie Pflum try the 1000 cc motorcycles (I assume she'll be running that bike), and so on.  Modesty aside, my wife, Nancy, will be running for her 200 MPH Club red hat - and the entry will be in the 1650 cc Production class part of the book.  Alison Volk will be stationed at the 200 MPH Club booth/stand, usually by the first entrance to the pits. 

Best wishes.  Getting anxious?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2010, 10:09:44 AM »
Bill
Having fun yet??
 :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

HotRodV8

« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2010, 09:13:25 PM »
Glen - -

"Am I having fun yet?"

Let me tell you what I am having - a double scoop ice cream cone for dessert. That's difficult to say no to.

"FIRST SCOOP" - I came to this site of Landracing.com to get ideas of a technical nature in the state-of-the-art of Bonneville streamliners. This technical information, coupled along with my 50 year collection of my ideas on how to design and build a faster salt flats car, would be the basis for my future build of a liner. I AM getting that education now as I read and post. First scoop - delicious.

"SECOND SCOOP" - I did not expect to start any friendships or get any "be sure to visit our pits" invitations until I started actual racing of some vehicle in what ever class. And then I thought I might make 2 or 3 friends a year and then after a few years I would want to go to a reunion type of Banquet in the off season because I might know one or two people there. This has all changed. I was not prepared for everyone to be so helpful. I didn't feel I had earned it yet.

I have always tried to be independent and do my thing and if and when I met some nice people on the salt who were in the pit next to me or raced in the same class, then we might become friends. Great. My concept over the years of salt race cars first and people (friendships) second, I was wrong.

I now realize when all these people have given me all these hints and tips I asked about in planning my first visit to B'ville, with my 8 yr old daughter, they weren't asking me to visit their pit to see their race car or bike, they were asking for my friendship and giving theirs. The race cars are secondary. I get it now. It's not what you race or how fast you go or if you have a hat or a closet full. It is the alike interest. I was so confused because I hadn't raced yet and haven't shown what I can do. (And I don't know what I can do, I only know my level of desire)But, I realize now that I did show the alike interest. Birds of a feather . . .  Second scoop - unexpected fulfilling in golden breath.

So Glen, you asked if I'm having fun yet? The best way to tell you is - - - all the ice cream scoops in the world would not be able to compare to my fun so far. SW will be a natural high for me.

Bill

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2010, 09:20:28 PM »
Bill just remember SALT FEVER  is forever and requires a yearly fix. See I told you so my friend.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

HotRodV8

« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2010, 09:34:50 PM »
Glen  - -

I will take my yearly FIX for salt fever. I'm just trying to figure out how to get Medicare to pay for it? My luck it's not covered or the co-payment is 100%. 

I'll settle for the fact that this FIX is all legal and I can tell all my friends my prognosis is transmittable.

Thanks again specifically, for all your help too Glen.

Bill

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #72 on: January 31, 2010, 09:38:57 PM »
I have been on this site for a year or two now, and it didn't take me long to figure out that the people involved in LSR are as great of people, and have as much fun, as the ones I'm accustomed to in the nostalgia drag racing I'm involved in.  If not, possibly they are better people, and have more fun!

Thanks Jon, for keeping this site going!
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

HotRodV8

« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2010, 09:57:46 PM »
Calkins - -

Thanks for starting this thread. It started as membership forms and fees so you can get in the gate at Speedweek.

For me it has turned into being IN the membership of those in the salt flats racing community. It sure has help me prepare for my first visit to B'ville. I have been in professional clubs local-state-national, bike clubs, scuba clubs, ski clubs, travel clubs, Coke Cola Collectors club, wood carving club, to name a few. I think you are right about the great people in LSR. I feel it.

HotRodV8

« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2010, 09:17:53 AM »
Bill:

As for an autograph page -- it's pretty common for folks to get their souvenir autographs written by the racer's entry listing in the program.  For Tannis -- look in the lakester section, and for Jeannie Pflum try the 1000 cc motorcycles (I assume she'll be running that bike), and so on.  Modesty aside, my wife, Nancy, will be running for her 200 MPH Club red hat - and the entry will be in the 1650 cc Production class part of the book.  Alison Volk will be stationed at the 200 MPH Club booth/stand, usually by the first entrance to the pits. 

Best wishes.  Getting anxious?

Jon - -

Oh, and now I find out there is a Program to buy. I never even thought about one. That's perfect, it will combine the autograph pages I was making and also with entry listings, I'll get all that info. It will save me some research time too. Thanks for the heads up and where to look for these racer girls in the program or on the salt.

It looks like my daughter will have quite an acquisition of signatures. It will be my job to apply those signatures into their achievements as real people reaching goals through competition, the good old American way. I can squeeze in several life lessons for my daughter by way of the girls of Bonneville. Role models, rolling along.

You ask, am I "Getting anxious?" The speed I'm traveling, I already passed up "anxious" a few exits back. BTW, what is the speed limit on-line?

And, I will also bring a red Sharpie to SW. If Nancy gets, when
 Nancy gets her 200 MPH Club membership, I'll have her autograph  my daughters program in black ink and then in red ink (i.e. red hat) next to it, she can write "200 MPH Club." Now that should be worth some encouragement. We do wish her the best, she is so close (one mph) to making the speed. Run Nancy Run.

See ya at SW.

Bill