Author Topic: Merlin V12  (Read 39373 times)

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
Re: Merlin V12
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2010, 04:44:10 PM »
The 55 Chev 8-) out off Castleigh Rod Shop is owned by Rod Hadfield, he was one off the "pioneers" of LSR at Gairdner.

First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline Bob Ellis

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2010, 05:33:40 PM »
Lucky's Vtwin 5000cc Merlin.
Ronnie , Rod sold the '55 a few years ago. Say Hi to Lucky & June for me , also tell him not to do any thing TOOO silly!!,
Cheers , Bob.
Wanna go fast??  Come to Lake Gairdner! (It's Down Under!!)

Offline maj

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2010, 09:00:37 PM »
Don't forget Dave Cox imported that twin Merlin 'liner from down under. It now sits in the desert and the Merlins are for sale.

:-( thats realy sad news

i have a real soft spot for the Merlins and Allisons,one of the best sounds i think i have ever heard  used to go especially to the boat races for the merlin powered hydro's... and one of the guys that came with me to the Aussie speedweek runs a twin turbo efi quad cam Merlin in a pulling tractor he has built up himself.

Offline stay`tee

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2010, 12:45:20 AM »
Yeah Bob, he is a bit of a "worrie" :-D,, thanks for the update on the sale of Rods car,,

Greg, there was a fella at the start up, was telling me that he was from down your way, and the hydroboats,,, dont remember his name, but do recall him talking about some bloke in Belt-a-rat who has a cupple of containers full of Merlin, Allison :? parts.

Whats the storie behind the twin Merlin :? :?

Offline Crosley

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2010, 10:55:55 AM »
wasn't  there a BMW  Isetta  stuffed with an Allison motor many years ago?  Same guy that build some of the dragcars like Big Al  that is in Garlits museum?
Tony in AZ...

"If you find yourself in a ditch.... let up on the throttle"

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2010, 11:13:05 AM »
Then there was the Topolino with FOUR Allisons.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 11:20:13 AM by interested bystander »
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline stay`tee

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2010, 06:19:50 PM »
gotta luv that topolina 8-),,,

I am surprised that apart from Athol Graham (rip), no one else has made a genuine attempt at LSR using these motors :?,,

Offline AJR192

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2010, 06:57:59 PM »
Jim Lytle was the guy behind the Big Al legacy. He built a trike and the Isetta and a White dump truck cabbed monster too. I seem to remember hearing he was doing fabrication work for the Granetelli's back in the 60's and did most of the chassis fab on the turbine Indy car IIRC.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2010, 07:13:37 PM »
gotta luv that topolina 8-),,,

I am surprised that apart from Athol Graham (rip), no one else has made a genuine attempt at LSR using these motors :?,,

Sure,

Art Arfons and his Anteater (Green Monster No. 12) - as I remember the car is in parts by Rochlitzer in California.

Was once the fastest of the meet with a 313 mph run in the first gear.......  :-D in 1961 - Art drove the car also in 1960.

Art got about 15 Allison engines in his work shop in the Pickle Road/Akron/Ohio when I was there in the 90's.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline maj

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2010, 09:06:59 PM »
Ronnie i think you would have to ask Rod about them, he seems to know whats where and who owns it

Blue

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2010, 01:35:19 PM »
gotta luv that topolina 8-)
I am surprised that apart from Athol Graham (rip), no one else has made a genuine attempt at LSR using these motors :?
The Allison and Merlin were the state of the art 60 years ago, but their time has passed.

They're old, expensive, heavy, unreliable and tuning them is a very specialized business done by very few shops.  Based on what we've seen with 3000 to 5000 HP race motors today whose parts are not in the "worth more than their weight in gold because production ended 60 years ago" category, I'd go with something a little lighter and better.  The weight may be an asset in tractor pulls, LSR is better off using aerodynamics.

Offline 754

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2010, 03:32:34 PM »
I would be happy if someone brought one on a stand to the flats, and Bend in the Road....

and started it up every hour on the hour... :-o

would not bother me at all............................. :-D

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2010, 06:05:42 PM »
Great idea -- would bring us big crowds at Salt Talks Sunday evening.  Who pays for the fuel to run it, though -- those things can't be fuel-sippers.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2010, 06:59:04 PM »
If we`re going to stand around listening to it run, let`s round up one of these...........
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline bbarn

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2010, 09:59:20 PM »
If we`re going to stand around listening to it run, let`s round up one of these...........

GRRRRRR!!!! :evil:
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.