Author Topic: nominal wall thickness  (Read 14519 times)

Offline k.h.

Re: nominal wall thickness
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2009, 08:03:01 PM »
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline willieworld

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2009, 08:05:00 PM »
bob--- you are right---but please dont use the term bronze welding when you actually mean brazing----and get well soon  willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline bak189

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2009, 09:05:46 PM »
Sorry.....after all this was all about "nominal wall thickness".......But then it is always a lot of fun sparring
with our friend, Willie.......be it sidecar design, and now brazing.....Tig......Glue......whatever!!!!!!!

A lot of the customer work I do is repair on British "brazed" frames...Rickman.....Norton.....but todate I still have not found a frame that needed repair at a "brazed" joint.......cracked  Reynolts 531 tubing...yes
smashed tubing .....yes......modify a Norton Manx frame to fit a Harley Sporster engine....yes..............
replace a frame tube on a Harley 1917 board tracker......yes.......but no breaks at the brazed joints.....

I know you are all very sorry that I have to sit at the lap-top between runs to the bathroom........but I will be gone soon.... back to the shop and/or our house in Arizona.......and everything on Landracing.com will be back to normal...........Happy Holidays to all............and send some of the $ you get for Xmas to
Slim
Question authority.....always

Offline k.h.

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2009, 09:27:17 PM »
Oh, it's a new "reproduction" frame, with more height and longer engine compartment, even fits a Vincent without sawing the transmission off.  Next one gets a rectangle tubing swingarm.  While I would modify a garden variety slimline featherbed, even I wouldn't booger up a wideline.  If I get the nerve, I'll post a build diary, which means I have to commit to showing up on the flats next year.

I trust you had pain medication for the flight from Brazil? 

Hope you mend quickly and Merry Christmas and Best Speed in the New Year to all.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2009, 09:32:28 PM »
Thanks for the "suggestion" to all of the others, Bob.  I appreciate it -- especially with the end of the month and the end of the year -- I expect there'll be some landracing.com bills to pay off come the first of January.  Donations are welcome - and hoped for.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline bak189

« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2009, 09:36:59 PM »
If you are interested in seeing some really nice M/C frames....both Tig and "Brazed" go to
wwwbakker-framebouw.nl

Yes, I got some morphine-sulfate 30mg tablets for the pain during my flight back to CA.  Hard to get in he US.
easy in S.America......and boy, do they work......................................................................................

Offline k.h.

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2009, 09:56:35 PM »
Am schönsten.  What is the "Nico" part of Nico Bakker?

Nice front end on the yellow Harley, though I don't know if anyone would know what to do with it here.

Offline bak189

« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2009, 10:09:17 PM »
Like I was reading it some place "what's in a name".........................................................................

You like that yellow Harley,? people either love it or hate it.....but it works just fine.......hub-centre steering...

Offline k.h.

« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2009, 10:30:51 PM »
Well, big twins leave the factory (except for the early FXRs) with Harley's secret "bad handling kit."  Maybe Milwaukee needs some fresh ideas.  While I no longer subscribe to Das Motorrad, your products are well known.

Offline bak189

« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2009, 11:53:53 PM »
They are not my products......they are Nico's design and outstanding work.......we got Bakker Framebouw in Europe.........we have Bakker Motorsports in North America (and sometimes in South America).............
but our main interest here is the 3 wheel part of the sport.....SIDECARS............................................

Remember......"two wheels is not enough.....four wheels is to many.....three is just right".....................
We support the 3 wheel LSR effort with a dollar purse at the annual BUB M/C Speed Trials......come join us

Now back to "nominal wall thickness"

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2009, 02:39:04 PM »
A long time ago I bought a rigid frame Matchless G80CSR basket case.  It was time for me to upgrade.  The frame was buggered up and it was an assortment of tubes held together by wrought steel or iron lugs.  My father and I took it to Turlock and an old flattrack racer, his best friend, fixed it.  There ware all sorts sweating, beer consumed, and cussing, and finally it was finished.  A oxy-acetylene torch was used and there was no welding.  A new tube was fitted into the lugs and the process looked like soldering, more or less, with brass.  They said, in 1970 thereabouts, that this was a dying skill and people did not do it very often.  They called it brazing. 

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2009, 12:26:50 PM »
The brazing vs. TIG welding debate for CM tubing has been going on forever. Each method has its strengths and weaknesses. British motor cycles and tube framed race cars have been brazed for years and with great success. The Rickman and Cheney motorcycle framse are famous for great design, looks and ruggedness. Both brazing and TIG have a couple of things in common, 1.Joint preperation, it has to be clean and it has to be a tight fit. 2. Welder/brazer skill. If you are not good at either I woujld not want to trust my life on your weld. The Brits like brazing we like TIG, they drink tea we drink coffee no big deal certainly nothing to get our shorts in a wad about.

I built a desert racer and a motocrosser back in the early 70s based upon the head stock, back bone and down tube of a Husky frame, both used Husky 400 engines, I raced and rode both for several years and never had a chassis fail and I gas welded both of them using 4130 tubing. It is all how it is designed and the skill of the fabricator.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline bak189

« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2009, 12:53:07 PM »
Well said, Rex...

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2009, 03:50:09 PM »
Rex,

wasn't 4130 tubing derived from the aircraft industry and gas welding? Something that most folks don't think about.
I repaired many kart chassis that had been welded/fixed, mainly because the tempering after welding was incorrect.

John
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline willieworld

« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2010, 05:37:16 PM »
got some tube today  it is  1 1/2 X .120 wall  erw---sonic checked it and its .118 wall that is almost unheard of  ---only in america---------------------------willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta