Author Topic: Going to DLRA Australian meet - others interested?  (Read 2790 times)

Offline ack

Going to DLRA Australian meet - others interested?
« on: September 18, 2005, 05:01:06 PM »
We are currently making plans to attend the DLRA meet at Lake Gairdner March  6 -10, 2006. It is reported to be the best salt in the world 20miles wide and 100 miles long "white concrete" we plan to utilize a 15 mile course.  We are currently making arrangements with Motorcycle Australia and Charlie Hennekam of the FIM to sanction it as a international event.  Charlie told me he is sure the side car that set a FIM record in New Zealand and others in that region of the world will attend. Rod and Carol Hadfield of the DLRA are very  supportive of our plans.  Dennis Manning and Dick Williams have both run there and are helping with the planning.  A number of motorcycle and car owners have indicated they would also like to attend.  Following is a general list of steps required to get to Australia:

1.  Load your vehicles into a 20 or 40 foot shipping container.  Dick Williams was able to get the Al Teague and Ken Walkey liner, the roadster of Chuck Salman and John Goodman?s lakester into one 40 foot container along with a lot of other equipment.  A 40 foot HC container would allow for 20 motorcycles and equipment to each fit within a 7?8? x 4? x 4? crate or 10 in a 20? container.

2.  A carnet must be completed. This is a document which lists all items contained within the container.  It allows one to import goods into another country temporarily without paying import duties or tax as long as the good are exported at the end of your visit.  There are a number of customs agents who can provide this service.

3.  It is possible to have the container delivered right to the salt . However Rod Hadfield has told me the company that provided this service has recently tripled the price.  He tells me the most economical way now is to have the container delivered to Adelaide or Melbourne and rent a truck or van to drive to Lake Gairdner about 385 miles from Adelaide.  This will also allow clearing customs and picking up supplies needed for the trip.  There are many truck and car rental companies in Adelaide.  We plan to rent motor homes to take to the salt however you may camp and limited very reasonable accommodations are available at Mt Ives 20 kilometers from the lake where breakfast, lunch and dinner are also available.

4.  Rod Hadfield has told me that if any one needs crew members that many DLRA members would be glad to help.  We will be bringing many tools a generator an air compressor and other support equipment and will make these available.  I will have my satellite phone for emergency communications and possibility an aircraft available.

5.  Round trip airfare to Adelaide from LA or SF is about $1,300.00 or you can go first class for $11,900.00 (better save your frequent flyer miles).  The current exchange rate is $1US  = $1.3 Australian.

6.  Return consists of loading the container in Adelaide and clearing customs for the trip home.

Top Oil, our sponsor , ships about 20 40? containers a week from LA to Indonesia and can get some very good rates.  We will be using one 40 foot container to transport our streamliner and equipment.  If there is serious interest in others attending we would be willing to assist with the loading of the containers at our facility in San Jose CA and offer whatever discounted container rate we can secure through Top Oil.  If enough people are going we may be able to a obtain discounted group airfare.

At this time it would be my guess, assuming that there would be a full container, the cost to take a motorcycle and two people including truck rental, accommodations and other costs would probably be
4-6K.

If you are seriously  interested please contact me and I will follow up with more definite details as to cost and procedures as I learn more of them.

Mike Akatiff

MikeA@ackavionics.com

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 05:42:34 PM »
Mike, remember to save room for the open bike... :wink:

landracing

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 07:41:38 PM »
Mike,

Thanks for all the time you are putting into this. I want to go with or without the bikes.

I am currently looking into internet solutions in the extreme outback.

Jon

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2005, 08:32:30 PM »
I am interested.Please keep me in the loop.
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

landracing

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2005, 01:06:50 AM »
I think there will be many interested. And like Mike says we will see who the real people are soon. Mike can you help us here and tell us when we need to have our bikes crated and too you in CA.?? This might help teams decide if they can get stuff together in time. If I remember it was mid January??

A second note I have been researching Internet solutions while the Americans are there.  Any solution provided in Australia is very very spendy. Looking at charges in 30 sec increments. Looks as if I may have found something stateside that will work in the outback, rented equipment. And charges are not as bad, Will phone tomorrow to find what is what. It will be satellite based service.

Directway is a US provided service only, that was my first thought.

Jon

Offline ack

Departure dates Australia
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2005, 02:22:41 PM »
Quote from: landracing
I think there will be many interested. And like Mike says we will see who the real people are soon. Mike can you help us here and tell us when we need to have our bikes crated and too you in CA.?? This might help teams decide if they can get stuff together in time. If I remember it was mid January??

A second note I have been researching Internet solutions while the Americans are there.  Any solution provided in Australia is very very spendy. Looking at charges in 30 sec increments. Looks as if I may have found something stateside that will work in the outback, rented equipment. And charges are not as bad, Will phone tomorrow to find what is what. It will be satellite based service.

Directway is a US provided service only, that was my first thought.

Jon

It looks like the containers should be ready for shipment by January 20th to allow for transit time.  We should plan to be in Australia by March 2nd to clear customs, rent vehicles, load them and make the trip to the salt. My sat phone is voice only but we may be able to rent one with data capibility.  

Please Note:

Those interested in going please send an email directly to me as I have trouble getting the PM messaging to work. I will keep the replys in a seperate group and keep every one updated. MikeA@ackavionics.com