Author Topic: Rain at elmo??  (Read 447374 times)

Offline Stan Back

Re: Rain at elmo??
« Reply #540 on: May 19, 2015, 07:05:38 PM »
The good thing (in a way) is that the call was made early enuf (and transmitted immediately) that most of us weren't at the gate waiting to go in.  Kudos to Bill Lattin for staying on top of the situation -- a situation he could not control.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #541 on: May 19, 2015, 07:40:56 PM »

I understand you and others from out of state have NEVER been to the dry lakes so your question is valid. I'm am answering it for you.

Thanks, Michael.

I have actually been there, and while it's been better than 20 years, I'm not familiar enough with the topography to know how it looks during different weather events.

I think I'm just bellyaching about a lost event on the calendar.  Seems a lot of us have been beat up by the weather the last few years.

I know Wayno had a bit of a haul to get there, and seeing as he and Gus were so gracious in helping me out last August-September in Utah, I'm disappointed that they - and all the other competitors - missed a chance.

Yeah - it goes with the game, and to your point, if it DID start raining during the event, and they weren't able to get out on a timely basis, that would be a real mess.

Next month . . .  :cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline azgearhed

• 1979 Z-28 AA/CBGC & AA/CGC & AA/CBGALT
« Reply #542 on: May 19, 2015, 09:00:17 PM »
While there have been some valid ideas posted, I think it is time to let our various gvmt representatives know what our position is on this. Just talking with other racers won't change BLM actions. The BLM is slowly transforming from a public lands caretaker role to one of controller of the public lands. If we all want to insure the future of this activity of turning time and money into speed we better be proactive in letting everyone know who might carry some influence with BLM policies. Politics is not as much fun as working on a racecar but politics might be necessary to keep racing. Refer to Sparkys references for government representatives to contact. 
BC Racing 1979 Z-28
AA/CBGC Record 251.802 Speed Week 2012
AA/CBGALT Record 255.382 Speed Week 2013
AA/CBGC Record 226.104 El Mirage Sept 2015
AA/CBFALT Record 227.954 El Mirage June 2016
AA/CBGC Record 267.878 Speed Week 2018
AA/CBGALT Record 236.458 El Mirage Nov 2016
It's a lot of work to have fun...

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #543 on: May 20, 2015, 01:52:33 AM »
Its been already said that to open the lakebed for the SCTA meant the BLM would have to open it to everyone.  What would have happened if some dingbat on a quad or a truck or a bike decided the cone off mud would be ideal for a bit of fun?   Who would the BLM look at first?  The SCTA.  Losing one meet is an annoyance at best.  Losing the lakebed would be a tragedy.  Ever since the incident in Johnson Valley the BLM have been on the edge.  It may be public and and we may be the public.  But the BLM have the field and the ball.  June will be here before you know.  Kick back with a beer,  look at your bike or car and imagine how fast you will go.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Speed Limit 1000

John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #545 on: May 20, 2015, 09:21:44 AM »
I guess they sell salt to pay the lawyers and the bills...  :|
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #546 on: May 20, 2015, 10:18:59 AM »
There are hearings being held all over the west

"Help Shape the future of Outdoor Recreation" 

Has anyone from SCTA USFRA  BNI been at any of these?  I sure hope so  ---if not Edwards is just over the HILL!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #547 on: May 20, 2015, 11:44:29 AM »
Its been already said that to open the lakebed for the SCTA meant the BLM would have to open it to everyone.  What would have happened if some dingbat on a quad or a truck or a bike decided the cone off mud would be ideal for a bit of fun?   Who would the BLM look at first?  The SCTA.  Losing one meet is an annoyance at best.  Losing the lakebed would be a tragedy.  Ever since the incident in Johnson Valley the BLM have been on the edge.  It may be public and and we may be the public.  But the BLM have the field and the ball.  June will be here before you know.  Kick back with a beer,  look at your bike or car and imagine how fast you will go.

I don't think anyone ever suggested that they only open it for "us".  Who is "us" anyways?  I  know we're racers and we'd be too busy racing to go screw off in the mud.  But there are a lot of a-hole spectators that come to our events to "have fun" (aka get blitzed, race around the lake bed at 2 am on the loudest dirt bike in the world, ride through mud holes, etc).  IMO those idiots aren't "us".  So yeah, open it up to everyone.  The BLM can't reasonably blame the SCTA should some a-hole decide to go mudding.  They can only blame who ever does it themselves.  If the BLM would do their f'ing job and post someone to monitor the mud hole then it wouldn't be a problem.  But instead they want to be up our ass about wrist bands and how many feet exactly is the staging area.  The SCTA puts on the absolute SAFEST event on BLM land in the whole country.  They're hassling us just to hassle us. 

If they keep closing the lake bed because 1% of it is wet and muddy, then we are effectively losing it.  There has to be some middle ground here otherwise we might wind up back at Rosamond or Harper.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #548 on: May 20, 2015, 02:54:47 PM »
Do we have any racers in AZ, CA or ??? who are registered as a Democrat or Independent? 

We have two members here in AZ who are on this  committee who oversee the BLM?

I would like to furnish for someone with Talking Points, names and phone numbers.  Between the two states we have 5 of the 14 members.  I we want to keep racing this is something we HAVE to do

Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #549 on: May 21, 2015, 12:31:13 AM »
Do we have any racers in AZ, CA or ??? who are registered as a Democrat or Independent? 

Hey Bill, I think everyone from CA is a democrat  :roll: it may be one of the requirements to live there  :-D
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #550 on: May 21, 2015, 01:03:37 AM »
I have no problem getting in touch with anyone to keep our venues open but the name of this subject is "Rain at Elmo" and it's where we all come to see the weather or a report so how about moving this to it's own subject...Thanks
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #551 on: May 21, 2015, 01:24:13 AM »
Nathan,  My apologies.  The talk of opening the lake bed for the SCTA and doing that meant the lake bed would have to be open to every one else was on another forum.  CRS, the sun was in my eyes, the dog bit me.........................................................
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #552 on: May 21, 2015, 11:21:59 AM »
"Hey Bill, I think everyone from CA is a democrat  it may be one of the requirements to live there"

I feel insulted, you might get away with calling my mother names but don't call me a democrat......them fightn' words
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 11:23:46 AM by thundersalt »
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #553 on: May 21, 2015, 11:25:02 AM »

If they keep closing the lake bed because 1% of it is wet and muddy, then we are effectively losing it.  There has to be some middle ground here otherwise we might wind up back at Rosamond or Harper.

Nathan,

Who controls these two areas? Rosamond and Harper?

J
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #554 on: May 21, 2015, 11:29:15 AM »
JD suggested we take this to another thread---try "Saving dry lakes racing" under  B'ville general chat