Author Topic: Motor sealing before event  (Read 12358 times)

landracing

Motor sealing before event
« on: September 12, 2005, 02:11:56 PM »
Can we get our motor sealed before coming to Bonneville? Or are entrants allowed to do this instead of tearing down at the event???? If so who do we contact to do this and how do you find someone un-biased to do the measuring and sealing?

Jon

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 02:50:25 PM »
How about if your motor is still sealed from last meet?
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

dwarner

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 03:22:20 PM »
Email Russ O'Daley or Tom Evans, they can give you the deal on the motorcycle side.

Russ: lsrmctech@adelphia.com
Tom: mrrodan@budweiser.com

Warner

landracing

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 04:22:49 PM »
Dan,

Actually what do the car guys do, I think the MSA crew would like to have it done on their car before they come out for World Finals if it all comes together????

Jon

equimania

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 05:24:11 PM »
Quote from: firemanjim
How about if your motor is still sealed
from last meet?

I asked this very question at Speed Week, and was told no,
with a long explanation.  The short of it was they used to do
it but quit because they felt it was not really secure.  Now it
is on an event-by-event basis.

Mark

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Tell me again
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 10:43:00 PM »
!. Why are bikes different than cars ?
2. When did they seal a motor prior to an event ?

With the methods available, you should not have to disassemble a motor past stopping the valve action.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005, 11:43:05 AM »
Mr. Dolan said: "With the methods available, you should not have to disassemble a motor past stopping the valve action."

Hey Dan, Jack wants a job!
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 11:44:20 AM »
!. Why are bikes different than cars ?

Two less wheels?
Michael LeFevers

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Wrong
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2005, 12:18:46 PM »
Actually it is 1 less wheel.
Having acquired 41 AMA, SCTA, FIA,FIM records over the years, I am quite familir with the methods available.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

landracing

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2005, 01:58:26 PM »
Thats fine Jack, use all your methods, I want to know about the method of sealing the motor before an event, so I can have more salt time, I dont have to dissassemble in nasty conditions, or risk rain out and not get done. etc etc the list could be endless on why to do it before going to an event.

I want to know if a car can get sealed if so what is procedure, and if a bike can do it what is procedure.

I have an email in to Tom Evan and Russ ODaley waiting for a response for the bike side. Dan can you tell me more for the car side and what needs to be done.

Jon

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Compare it other motorsports.
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2005, 02:16:09 PM »
With 400+ entries from all over the world, how do you propose it be handled so that it is the same for everyone ?

landracing

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2005, 03:56:32 PM »
Ok by that then is motor sealing before the event in use already ?????

Jon

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
I kinda don't think so.
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2005, 05:18:34 PM »
It sounds like no, looks like no, but it is still waiting for a better idea i'll bet.
It will be interesting to watch.  8)

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2005, 12:20:00 AM »
Jack said "Having acquired 41 AMA, SCTA, FIA,FIM records over the years, I am quite familir with the methods available."

Does this mean that engines I've built that have won or set records in SCTA, NHRA, ARCA, SCCA, IMSA, FIA, ASA, APBA, or NASCAR, (sense were name dropping) I don't know the methods? Jack, your not the only one here on the board who has set records or won races, some of us might have even gotten 9 folks into the into the 200 MPH club, 3 into the 300 MPH chapter, oh yea, and 2 more into the dirty 2, won races in IMSA, SCCA, ASA, etc. (and even qualified 5 cars at Indy in '87, Buicks don't ya know) but thats not a record or a win, might have set a front straightaway speed record at the time (239 mph) LOL. I guess thats why we go to the salt, to see what "you" can do.
Now as for the sealing of engines, what is the problem your having? Is the engine you ran 10 years ago or more still sealed and your wondering if you can pull it out of the north 40 and set more records? Do you just want to whistle every engine and no direct mesurement? Do you not care what size the engine is because your faster than the next 3 classes above you? If it's not the same for everyone does that mean it's not fair? Can you answer the question? I'm I wasting my time when the answer will be a riddle?
Michael LeFevers

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Actually
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2005, 01:07:41 AM »
I never raced ASA or ARCA and you are barking up the wrong tree with a pack influence.
You are confusing your sence of history with the problem that some have by having to verify and seal  an engine after a record performance.
They (SCTA) have long standing procedures in place by the rules that have not been faced with a better idea. When you have one you are free to submit it. I know I did.. Exceptions for favorites are not the rule but some believe it is in practice. That is what gives rise to the question.
You can't get there from here.