Author Topic: Protecting vehicle from salt?  (Read 7976 times)

Offline Nexxussian

Re: Protecting vehicle from salt?
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2010, 05:10:37 PM »
George, I've used corrsion X in aircraft.

Even immersed in salt water they don't get anywhere close to the salt exposure I see at speedweek.

I would only use the Corrosion X on the outside of the brakes, if they are drums.

Corrosion X has several products, but the ones I am farmiliar with, that are used in aviation (and claim to be used by the military) are applied in an oil solution (silicone oil IIRC).

I don't see the benefit of oiling brakes.

Perhaps you have a different product of theirs?

FWIW we used to run a road race (street circut) here in February.

They used to use salt (Sodium Chloride) to keep the track (pavement) ice free.

Way more than they ever used on the roads normally.

Salt buildup on the cars after that weekend looked about the same as what we got on everything in '09 at Bonneville.

It's where we learned about using sprinklers.
Just happy to be here. :-D

Erik

Online racergeo

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2010, 06:22:57 PM »
 To clarify, I was referring to the calipers, backing plates, adjusters and drums inside and out but not the shoes or braking surface. I had to replace all of that last year at a cost of $600. I have learned my lesson. :roll:

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2010, 02:39:19 AM »
   To de-salt the trailer, we take it to the river and back it down the boat ramp, and let the water run over the deck for a half hour.
   Doug

I find renting works
G

Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline metalracing

• New folks
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2010, 11:04:26 AM »
Some of the guys with the acme speed shop where using pam and it seemed to work pretty good.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2010, 11:48:51 AM »
Hope the windows were rolled up in that pickup.  But then how do you get in?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2010, 01:18:58 AM »
I do the knock it off with the hose & then the sprinkler thing but as soon as we have rain, I am out driving the pants off the truck & trailer. Coming home this year I ran into rain north of Salt Lake on I-15 so I did a few laps on that section of freeway, it did a bitchin job.
  Sid.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2010, 01:34:31 PM »
I put the truck on a lift at the service station and sprayed Salt-X thoroughly - before leaving for Speedweek.  We ran in rain each of the three days getting to Bonneville, so I assume a bunch, if not all, of the Salt-X got washed off.  It's water soluble -- so the rain could do it.

So when we got home I looked and there wasn't much salt.  I didn't spray under the truck.  We got done with the long traveling in mid-October and drove the truck around Marquette County during the next month, hitting rain, slush, mud puddles, and so on.  Last week I crawled under the truck to do an oil change -- and sure enough the FRONT of exposed surfaces were pretty clean of salt.  But the back, and up on the top of things like the transfer case, were still coated. 

Ergo:  Driving in the rain and sloop is not enough to get all of the salt.  I'll be taking the truck back to that lift next week to do a proper cleaning of it.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2010, 10:09:01 PM »
Brake caliper parts, suspension goodies, etc. can be a problem.  Super Lube waterproof synthetic grease by Synco Chemical Corp, 24 DaVinci Drive, Bohemia New York, 11716 (www.super-lube.com) works good for us.  Once every few years I take everything apart, grease the parts, smear a very thin coat of grease over everything except the discs and pads, and put it all back together.  There have been no brake problems after I started to do this.  I drive slow on the salt and do not get much on the tow car or trailer.  I do not know if this will work for someone who gets more salt on their truck.