Author Topic: Protecting vehicle from salt?  (Read 7977 times)

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
Protecting vehicle from salt?
« on: September 11, 2005, 11:57:42 AM »
Weeks after coming back from Speed Week my vehicle is still dripping salt, even after hosing it off there at the KOA, and then pressure washing after coming home.

Is there anything that will prevent salt from sticking to the metal? A web search turned up "Salt Away." Does that work?

Thanks
Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
protecting
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 02:53:24 PM »
Don
I use SALT-X  www.salt-x.com It's a great product. I have used it for 3 years and found it to be better then salt away.  It can be shipped UPS. It takes abot 2 oz per gal water. I use a hudson spreyer to apply.
Glen
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 09:59:20 PM »
Rinse for two to three hours and when you think you are done repeat twice.. :lol:

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
protecting vehicles from salt
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 10:14:59 PM »
I put a sprinkler under the rigs and move them every 6-8 hours. So far so good.
rht

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2005, 11:17:48 PM »
John,
I know you have heard it a thousand times by now, but congratulations! Your 260 mph top speed is not only a great technical achievement, but also a great human feat.

And a great goal for us backyard builders yipping at your heals. See you at World Finals!

Don Pearsall
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 01:10:42 AM »
Quote from: DonPearsall
John,
I know you have heard it a thousand times by now, but congratulations! Your 260 mph top speed is not only a great technical achievement, but also a great human feat.

And a great goal for us backyard builders yipping at your heals. See you at World Finals!

Don Pearsall

Don thank you, it was a great week.

Thanks again and see you at the finals??

J

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2005, 02:54:28 PM »
After 30 years of all kind of salt conditions I would advise one NOT to use a pressure washer. Flowing large amouns of water is the best.  Pressure washers drive salt into places you can't clean.
I too use a "cheap" lawn sprinker under the vehicle  for a few hours moving as needed. Truck spare tires need extra care.

If you use vour vehicle to push off a race car, especially one with open wheels. Make covers over your head lights. Mine attach under the hood and hang over the lights/grille leaving about 18" in the center.

Great run John! ! ! !
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2005, 10:14:45 PM »
Quote from: jimmy six
After 30 years of all kind of salt conditions I would advise one NOT to use a pressure washer. Flowing large amouns of water is the best.  Pressure washers drive salt into places you can't clean.
I too use a "cheap" lawn sprinker under the vehicle  for a few hours moving as needed. Truck spare tires need extra care.

If you use vour vehicle to push off a race car, especially one with open wheels. Make covers over your head lights. Mine attach under the hood and hang over the lights/grille leaving about 18" in the center.

Great run John! ! ! !

Good point about the pressure washer, as I said, when you think you are done with the sprinkler repeat twice..

Offline mstrdinan

Re: Protecting vehicle from salt?
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 11:39:33 AM »
any new technology in 4 years??
     the time to think of this small problem i think is now   

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2010, 01:30:40 PM »
You could use the Hotnuts method and trade in your push vehicle ever 4 years.
Best method for removing salt I have found.

I call it the "clean slate method", and it works every time and is guaranteed to remove 100% of the salt.

~JH

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2010, 06:54:16 PM »
   To de-salt the trailer, we take it to the river and back it down the boat ramp, and let the water run over the deck for a half hour. Then pack the wheel bearings before we put it away. Don't know if the same would work for the truck and the race car.  :-D :-o :cheers: :cheers: We use Salt -Away on everything else. There is no easy/fool-proof way that we have found other than time and lots of water.
Good luck.
   Doug
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 11:11:02 PM »
We save money by using a lot of cold running water until it look like the salt is gone.  Then we use a dose of Salt Away to make sure the salt is off.

Offline deucemac

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2010, 11:23:56 PM »
The VERY best way to protect your vehicle from salt damage is to talk a friend into driving HIS car!

Offline Nexxussian

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 12:20:53 AM »
We tried Salt Away in 2009 (didn't make it with the car for 2010) on the tow vehicle, push vehicle and the race car.

It's blatant where we missed with the salt away.

I would be interested in the Salt X, not because I'm dissatisfied with the Salt Away, more of a "pepsi Challenge" kind of thing.

I have to agree about the pressure washer, I still use them, as I have to get the big gobs off but a final cleaning with water from a hose (sprinklers are darned handy) for a while work well.
Just happy to be here. :-D

Erik

Offline racergeo

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2010, 07:35:29 PM »
 I have a new trailer and a tow vehicle that as of now has no rust. I just bought a gallon of a product called CorrosionX. They claim the Navy uses it on there planes that operate near salt water. They claim it prevents electrolysis between dissimilar metals and can revive equipment after salt water immersion. I am going to spray the under carriage on my truck and trailer as well as the brakes. I am going to use it liberally on my race cars. Go to Corrosionx.com  George