Author Topic: Eject helmet removal system  (Read 5597 times)

Offline jimmy six

Re: Eject helmet removal system
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2009, 02:28:55 PM »
Bob, sorry to burst your bubble but I haven't been to a meeting in over a year.

Mag, the page you directed us to comes up unavailable on my comp.... This product looks like a good thing and like said before, not cost prohibitive. Hope we can get a video of it........JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2009, 02:58:59 PM »
SSS, According to this article, http://www.larrymason.net/hats_off.html  John Deagan designed the original system after a motorcycle accident and it looks like Bell Helmets have experience with the bag installations.  

JD, Cut and past the link to your browser. For some reason when I type the link  the last part of the link won’t attach properly.    The seats are not that expensive and are quite reasonable and cheaper than most NASCAR seats.  Its more of a seat insert that comes out with the driver.  One of my friends has a ALMS car and he uses one and swears by it. When I first saw it I thought it would be odd, but when I sat in it it felt just like the old seat he had. The big thing is training the safety crews for the proper extraction method.  Tony

Had to correct it as I listed the wrong person invented it originally.  Tony

« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 04:25:35 PM by maguromic »
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

McRat

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2009, 06:21:58 PM »
It doesn't have to be a severe accident. The EMT doesn't want you to remove the helmet. They want to be in control of the situation and remove it themselves.
If you are in a situation where you are not breathing the helmet has to come off so they can get to your face. The pressure from the air bag would be on your skull, not your neck. There would be neck movement to get the helmet off even if there isn't any pressure, but by that time the EMT has done a triage and determined the helmet needs to go even if some risk is involved.The plastic lift strap is no different then just yanking the helmet off. You put a lot of pressure on your neck when you, or anyone else pulls a helmet off.If other sactioning bodies are mandating it, then we should too.
The system has both an EMT kit that does not require individual helmet install, as well as the individual racer unit that is to be pre-installed under the liner on helmets with removable liners.  No removal liner?  Contact them.  On the individual kit, you are to pull open the liner and check the device installation prior to every use of the helmet.  You should carry a spare, since if it did dislodge, the adhesive might not stick a second time.  It is dated, and should be replaced every 2 years.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2009, 10:02:23 PM »
  Rat, just to clarify, EACH individual must buy and install the bladder, the pump assembly would either be carried by the EMT, OR you could have your own hanging from the window net.
  Any sane person could use this system without instructions if they are smart enough to unbuckle the chin strap first.  Hopefully our safety folks and any of Wendovers finest can understand a simple bulb air pump....................  somebody please bring this up at your club meeting or the next SCTA meeting.
  I am in no way trying to make this manditory, but having C5,6 and 7 already fused, I will have one you can bet your bippy................................  Bob
Bob Drury

McRat

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2009, 10:16:14 PM »
There are three models it seems:

The EMT kit comes with a really long tongue depressor, used to insert the bladder for those who do not have it pre-installed (or malfunctions, the tube is not fire-resistant).  It can also activate the helmet mount units.

The racer installed unit, which requires the EMT to have the inflator anyways.

Factory installed units, like Bell, that are special-ordered when you buy your helmet. 

Offline salt27

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2009, 11:18:52 AM »
Suppling the Ambulances with the "EMT/first responder" units, would cover all bases.
If your helmet had a bladder they would have a pump and if it didn't they could insert a bladder.