Author Topic: Eject helmet removal system  (Read 5595 times)

Offline Bob Drury

Eject helmet removal system
« on: November 30, 2009, 06:26:20 PM »
  The N.H.R.A. has just mandated the use of a EJECT helmet removal system in all PRO classes in 2010.
  The system is a air inflate bladder that goes in the top of the helmet, and when inflated gently raises the helmet off of the users head.
  The bladder is only sixty bucks, and the pump is around one twenty.
  If the safety truck or ambulance had a pump assembly, all you would need is the bladder, or hang one off your window net.
  Go online to EJECT helmet removal system and check it out.
                                                                                         Bob

Bob Drury

Offline willieworld

Re: Eject helmet removal system
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 07:09:08 PM »
at my age i need a pair of those to get my shoes off     willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 08:06:32 PM »
Concerning the Eject Helmet system.  When I was in my teens, 20's and 30's racing bikes, I would have not wanted any object on top of my head under my Helmet.

In 1992 I had a major bike wreck and broke 13 bones in the wreck. They scooped my up on the back board and transported me to the Hospital with my Helmet on (taped to the back board).  If you have ever had some one else try to take your rather snug fitting Helmet off your head,, it is rather painful.  Your average ER Doctor has no clue how to remove a Helmet.  Since my left arm was broke, my right arm was full of tubes, I could not help,, as I felt my ears being ripped off my head,, I was screaming instructions to them,,then they stopped and I heard the other Dr. tell some nurse to go to the cast room and get the "SAW" now I about crapped my bloody pants...I did not want a circular saw near my head, not to mention them ruining my expensive custom painted Shoei Helmet.

Finally they listened to me and got the helmet removed without ripping my ears off,,,,

after going through that,,, I would gladly wear an Eject system if I raced a Bike,,, not sure how appropriate it would be in a car.. the Eject system also comes in an EMT/Rescue version that would work too and not have to be worn under our helmet. Just issued to the Rescue or EMT crew (just in case)

Just my thoughts (from first hand crash experience)

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 08:36:56 PM »
I like the idea and would vote for it. It's very difficult to remove a helmet after a crash and we always worry about neck injuries. The EMT's at the lakes and salt are well aware of the importance in removal and the need to get oxygen and check for other injuries. This would make it faster and much easier for all.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 08:46:44 PM »
Its a very good system and I have incorporated that as part of my safety strategy.  Its been around for about 5 years in open wheel racing.  The open wheel guys also have a removable safety seat made by Lear that comes out of the car with the driver and acts as a brace so the spine wont get damaged from moving the driver after an accident.  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 09:01:28 PM »
Info here:
http://www.shockdoctor.com/products/eject-helmet-removal-system.aspx

$59 is very cheap insurance, but useless unless the emergency responders have the equipment and are trained to use it. Shock Doctor has an online training for EMT's.

Somebody should bring this up at an SCTA board meeting. ECTA and everybody else too.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Blue

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 02:24:49 AM »
Its a very good system and I have incorporated that as part of my safety strategy.  Its been around for about 5 years in open wheel racing.  The open wheel guys also have a removable safety seat made by Lear that comes out of the car with the driver and acts as a brace so the spine wont get damaged from moving the driver after an accident.  Tony
These are two very interesting issues I really hadn't thought of since my last track-induced ambulance ride.  I would vote for the seat/back/headrest as a removable unit keeping me completely imobilized, helmet and all.  The trick here is that the safety crew/EMT's have to strap me to it, then cut the harness loose.  Rules making the seat pan a floater with only the harness holding it in would help.  They would cut the harness and be welcome to it.  Any harness that has survived an accident requiring EMT's to pull me out goes in the trash anyway.  Ditto for the helmet, custom paint be damned.  It's MY neck.

The inflatable pillow on top of my head sounds interesting IF I duct tape my earlobes and don't have the compressor on board.  If someone has to plug in a separate air source to activate this and this is somehow safetied from inflating when my chin strap is still secure, OK.  If it is on-board or anyone in a rush can pneumatically tighten my chin strap... AAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully the safety crews that inflate these things are conciencious about getting that strap undone first.  I'd hate to see the pillow inflated and then the strap released.  Flying helmets can endanger those EMT's.

Never mind my earlobes.

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 09:00:54 AM »
I too, Have been peeled off the pavement about 30 yards from where the bike landed, and anything that would aid in helmet removal sounds like a good idea. Looks cheap enough too. J.B.
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 09:57:54 AM »
Anyone know how far it rises the helmet?  1 "-2"- 3"........Coming by glasses and ear lobes should not be a problem when wearing a sock (not sure about M/C's here). I roll mine forward to take it off. Maybe I'll need 2. one on top and one on the back. :-D......JB
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 11:18:11 AM »
Taking the strap off first would be in the training I would think.

If they need to use it to take off the helmet then your earlobes are the least of your problems.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 12:15:53 PM »
  If you go to the website, they have a video showing the system in use.  They also offer the EMT training online.  I am going to buy the bladder, and use the wait/see if the SCTA/BNI buys a pump.
  If not, I will buy one for them if they assure me that their safety personel do the training before Speedweek.
 J.D., if you would be kind enough to bring this to their attention, I will pay for it.                   
                                                        Thanks, Bob
Bob Drury

McRat

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 12:37:53 PM »
Note to self - Make sure I'm not wearing earrings when racing.  :|

I have no clue (always been conscious for the ambulance ride, and they cut strap and remove helmet before putting me on the board, IIRC), but I'm wondering if an accident so severe that you cannot remove your helmet would be aggravated much by somebody lifting straight up on a helmet.  Cut strap, slide fingers into pad, spread and lift? They are going to have to move your head to extract you anyhow.

If you laying on the ground when they inflate the bag, it's going to compress your neck.  In any case, my biggest desire is not to left in a crushed car that could burst into flames any second for any longer than absolutely necessary.  Get me out, then to a hospital ASAP.  Strap my naked head to the board; you have my permission to cut the strap, pull my helmet off by hand, saw it into little pieces if you want, I won't be reusing it.   

Seems you could make something with a simple thin plastic or fabric strap that would do the same job, simpler, and not require special tools or training.  Two stickers, PULL TO LIFT on either side would be the training (print in 5 languages and braille to keep lawyers happy):

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 12:55:28 PM »
This is the link to the FIA “Recommended Specifications For Extractable Seats In Single Seater and Sports Cars”.  It’s an older bulletin from 2005, and if you contact them you can get the new one.  They also have a video for the asking on this subject. Tony

http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.nsf/6C463CA50B138F98C1257315004176E3/$FILE/1_Extractable_Seat_guide_a.pdf
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2009, 01:55:03 PM »
I'm intrigued by the idea of the inflatable bladder between the top of my head and the inside top of the helmet.  I can see that if I'm injured it would be easier on my neck/spinne to have the bladder inflate, helping move the helmet up without ptting any pressureon the neck/spine.  Instead it'd be pushing on the top of my skull -- which, assuming the helmet has done its' job and the skull is intact -- would mean less incidental damage to me during the removal of the helmet. 

I'd like further information on the bladders-- because it's about time for Nancy and me to get new helmets.  If the bladder takes up some measurable amount of room -- I'd buy the new helmets sized to fit both the bladder and my head.  Now - wouldn't it be nice if some helmet manufacturer offers the bladder, preinstalled and fitted, as an option on his helmets?  Arai and Shoei - are you listening?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2009, 02:27:11 PM »
I'm wondering if an accident so severe that you cannot remove your helmet would be aggravated much by somebody lifting straight up on a helmet.  Cut strap, slide fingers into pad, spread and lift? They are going to have to move your head to extract you anyhow.

If you laying on the ground when they inflate the bag, it's going to compress your neck.  In any case, my biggest desire is not to left in a crushed car that could burst into flames any second for any longer than absolutely necessary.  Get me out, then to a hospital ASAP.  Strap my naked head to the board; you have my permission to cut the strap, pull my helmet off by hand, saw it into little pieces if you want, I won't be reusing it.   

Seems you could make something with a simple thin plastic or fabric strap that would do the same job, simpler, and not require special tools or training.  Two stickers, PULL TO LIFT on either side would be the training (print in 5 languages and braille to keep lawyers happy):

It doesn't have to be a severe accident. The EMT doesn't want you to remove the helmet. They want to be in control of the situation and remove it themselves.

If you are in a situation where you are not breathing the helmet has to come off so they can get to your face. The pressure from the air bag would be on your skull, not your neck. There would be neck movement to get the helmet off even if there isn't any pressure, but by that time the EMT has done a triage and determined the helmet needs to go even if some risk is involved.

The plastic lift strap is no different then just yanking the helmet off. You put a lot of pressure on your neck when you, or anyone else pulls a helmet off.

If other sactioning bodies are mandating it, then we should too.