Author Topic: I'm a grandpa  (Read 8041 times)

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
I'm a grandpa
« on: November 24, 2009, 01:13:43 PM »
My lovely daughter-in-law, Desiree, wife of my younger son, Anthony (he used to be Tony until he became an opera singer...I just tell him that when he uses that form of his name, his initials are ATB...or...Another Tax Break...which I knew when my first wife insisted on so naming him) gave birth to a daughter, Josephine, at 12:02 this morning, about the time I was being violently ill with the stomach flu.  I feel a lot better today.

The birth was totally natural and without complications.  Being typical males, Anthony forgot to tell me the length, weight, eye color, etc...and I forgot to ask him.  I just told him that it seems like all our prayers for an uneventful (well, other than the birth of a child) birth were answered.  (Many prayers were said for them during the aforementioned stomach flu attack.)

Her name: Josephine.  That was my mother's name, as well as HER mother's name.  They both refused to be called "Josie" and my mother went by her middle name, Mildred...and she wouldn't let anyone call her Millie.  So, being one who finds tradition very important in a family, I demanded the right to call the grand-moppet Josie.  Makes sense to me and that was greeted with a positive response.  About time I got some respect.  I tell ya, I just don't get no respect....oops...wrong script.

Here's the blog that Desiree runs:
http://dandabuck.blogspot.com/  She's posted tons of photos of Tony (I'll call what I want, too, dammit!) and very few of herself, although there's a shot of her at 23 weeks into the pregnancy.  I've attached a photo from 2 weeks ago when she and Tony and my elder son Colin came to help me clean house.  I'd kinda let things go during car season and they were kind enough to help me out.

Desiree and I had a bit of a discussion about what she could do and what she couldn't and she finally convinced me that it'd be ok for her to do what she'd been doing in her own home.  Ok.  I let her do the dishes (as if I was given any choice.  I just don't get no...)

While I feel infinitely better than I have over the past 18 hours, I'm gonna refrain from rushing to the hospital or being on their doorstep when they bring Josie home.  I sure don't wanna spread any illnesses, especially to an infant.  So photos will have to wait for a while.  I'm just full of gratitude that all is well in several Buck households.

That's plenty for now.

Offline bbarn

Re: I'm a grandpa
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 01:33:22 PM »
Congratulations GRANDPA! Now get busy spoiling that kid, that's what grandparents are for! And don't be afraid to teach her how to hot-rod her stroller, tricycle, bicycle, roller-skates, Barbie Corvette or anything else she wants. She may be the next generation builder/racer!!!
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline Freud

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 01:34:53 PM »
Being a Grandfather doesn't seem to have improved you in any way.

Josies Grandmother would probably agree.

Your illness sounds so severe that you should likely hibernate for at least several months.

FREUD
Since '63

McRat

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 01:37:43 PM »
Congrats!  :cheers:

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 01:39:46 PM »
Awesome news.

:cheers: :cheers:

J

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 01:41:36 PM »
Congrats Grandpa, now a salt fix will take care of the flu and another memory chip for the camera for all the baby pic's. Get well soon. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 01:45:34 PM »
Congratulations!!!  You know if you men would think of the baby as a build, you'd remember to ask things like...How long is that chassis?  How much is she gonna weigh when we get her built?  What color we gonna paint the front?  What color are the flames gonna be?  This is gonna be a great build!!  She's gonna go FAST when she's completed!!

Hope you get over that flu thing soon!   :|

Anyway, congratulations again!   :cheers:

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 01:48:49 PM »
Congratulations!

Many happy returns!   :mrgreen:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 01:52:55 PM »
Congratulations Ray. Great name, my mother and grandmother were Josephine's.

When does she get her first camera??

Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 02:26:08 PM »
Congrats, too, from the other side of the pond.....to Granddaddy Ray.  :cheers:

I try to image this picture.....Ray with his bass guitar playing his grand daughter a good night song...
......Smoke on Water.....broooumm broooummm brooummmmm.....  :-D

And for the camera.....I'm sure we will find one......made in Taiwan.....yellow....can swim....and make quick quick when you press the thricker......  :wink:
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 02:53:17 PM »
Grand Kids are so cool. I treat mine like rent a cars. Take em, screw em up, and then give em back.
You want ice cream for breakfast?  SURE Stay up as late as you want.  Its great.
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 03:02:16 PM »
Thanks to all who've offered congratulations...although my part in it was a LONG time ago.  :)

Josie's mom has my old Canon Rebel XT.  I think mom will do fine with it (one reason I gave it to her) and just might teach the grand-moppet how to use it...but not this week.  :)

Freud, yer right.  Didn't improve me a bit.  But what do you expect from some one who was dropped on his noggin by suburban coyotes and left for dead, only to be raised by sewer rats?  Yeah, hibernation sounds very appealing.

Lynda ya make a very good point.  I can quote ya all sorts of car statistics, but can't remember how much Tony weighed when he was born.  Duh.  TMS (Typical Male Syndrome.)

I think a flamed and pinstriped stroller sounds like a good place to start.  I'll see if I can do something about this when I go to the Rat Fink Reunion this year.  I spose I better start looking for some little motors to hop up for the Barbie Corvette.  I like the idea.  Oh, h*ll!  I know what I can do!  I'll do the same thing that was done to me in the first coupla weeks of my life.  I can put a model of a race car in her crib...about the same size as the kid.  When I was a coupla weeks old, I awoke to find a then-current Indy roadster in my crib.  It's been downhill ever since then.  I better go shopping...online.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 03:43:29 PM »
Nancy and I send our best, Ray -- especially considering that you took the time while sick and anticipating the birth -- to drop us a note about our mundane request for help with the new printer.

Best wishes to Mom and Dad and Josie and even you, old fella.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Crosley

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 04:31:14 PM »
Congrats  on the  arrival of the grand child.

We are in Texas visiting our son and his family of  4  kids... these kids wear me out

It is good to see an old school name like Josephine. 

Folks call me Tony  since my mom named me that.   :-D

Tony in AZ...

"If you find yourself in a ditch.... let up on the throttle"

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2009, 05:18:12 PM »
You think having a grandchild makes you old?  My daughter called a few minutes ago to announce the my grandson -- is out taking his driver's license test.  Whoo-boy!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com