Author Topic: Push Vehicles?  (Read 10580 times)

Offline JoshH

Push Vehicles?
« on: November 20, 2009, 05:28:26 PM »
Hi Guys,

I've been searching around for information on push vehicles. Most the threads I've found have more to do with nice looking push vehicles then what you can actually use... And the rule book doesn’t seem to define this, unless I'm missing something. So my question is - can just about anything be used as a push vehicle? Big F350's work great for production cars but the same rig pushing something really small could be dangerous. I remember seeing a video of the Turbinator being pushed with a quad but I don't think this was an SCTA sanctioned event.

Josh
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 05:30:16 PM by JoshH »

Offline jimmy six

Re: Push Vehicles?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 05:52:02 PM »
Most guys use their tow vehicles for a pushing...Unless your "bucks up" it saves bringing something else. Other use friends or partners who drive up separately. If you look at a lot of trucks the pushbar may be out front by 2 or more feet. This makes it easier to push off smaller vehicles. Most pickups can be equiped with a slide in trailer reciever behind the license plate (look in JC Whitney)  Good luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline JoshH

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 11:15:53 AM »
Understood. I'm just wondering if something less traditional like a quad can be used for this purpose?

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 11:26:54 AM »
Yes
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline willieworld

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 12:17:35 PM »
whatever push vehicle you use is your choice   just remember it will need a cb radio and a fire extinguisher     no hand held radios                               willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline JoshH

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 01:22:54 PM »
Thanks guys. Willie good point. If the push vehicle is different than recovery vehicle does the CB radio and fire extinguisher rule still apply? A fire extinguisher isn't a problem just not sure how well the CB would work without some sort of in helmet system. In the case of a quad does SCTA want to see safety equipment other than a helmet?

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 01:27:41 PM »
Contact the SCTA tech committee at www.scta-bni.org, on the web page click on rules and regs. Submit your question there. This way the answer is official.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline RichFox

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 04:49:45 PM »
If I was using a quad for a push truck I would still have a fire extingisher and CB. The reasons for having them remain the same no matter what your driving. I will bet the SCTA feels the same as I.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 05:18:41 PM »
I wonder -- if the push vehicle per se must be radio- and fire extinguisher-equipped.  Most of the time the push and the support vehicle are one in the same -- but something such as a quad-wheeler that stays at the start line (or returns to the pit but doesn't go fetch the race vehicle) might be allowed to NOT have the radio and f/e.  Check with SCTA and let us know, hey?

That said -- both of those devices are relatively inexpensive and darned handy to have available no matter what vehicle they're in.  We've got fire extinguisher and CB in the support truck - and fire extinguisher in the pit trailer -- and planning to add a CB there this winter, too.  And a first aid kit in the truck -- well-labeled and always easy to find (not buried under rubble or the plastic sheeting).  Putting First Aid in the trailer, too.

Safe is cheap.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 05:29:32 PM »
All support, push or recovery vehicles require the CB and Fire ext. There are a few that have used quads and we can never talk to them.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009, 06:10:03 PM »
Okay, I see Sec. 3Q -- all push/recovery/support vehicles are required to have a minimum of one 4 lb. portable fire extinguisher.

Still looking for the rule about the CB radio.  I'm not debating the value or the reasons for the requirement -- just trying to learn the rulebook all the better.   Anybody happen to know the section?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009, 07:07:37 PM »
page 12 ,  1-L participant conduct :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2009, 07:32:03 PM »
Thanks, Glen.  I see it now and won't hesitate to offer the page and section to the next person that asks.

50F and sunny today in Skandia -- good late fall day for doing those chores I've been putting off since we got home from racing.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2009, 07:36:11 PM »
The weather is in the low 40's at night and mid 50's day time here, nice in the sun. A hug for Nancy. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline JoshH

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2009, 09:37:51 PM »
Thanks guys, that's what I was after. I'll still get clarification from SCTA just to be sure.