Author Topic: Slot Car LSR  (Read 7314 times)

nomad2race

Slot Car LSR
« on: September 04, 2005, 03:27:48 PM »
Hello,

I'm researching an effort to do a 1/24 Scale Slot Car LSR event.  I'd really like some feedback and guidence from experienced LSR guys.

A sumary of our thoughts on how to proceed so far:

1. Secure the cooperation, guidance and blessing of SCTA or other LSR group.

2.  Build a 1/24 scale track at Bonneville or one of the other official LSR event.  

3. Insure that our track, cars and equipment have the blessing of organizers and results will be included in official LSR records.

4.  Distribute a clear set of rules and classes for slot car entries. We?re planning a large number of classes based on scale appearing body types.  It would be great to see nice models of some of the wonderful cars that have run LSR. Also, I see an unlimited single gear and unlimited multi-gear classes. We?d like to accommodate almost anything that might show up, but will permit only wheel driven electric cars.  All cars will draw power from the track only.

5.  Event promotion will begin long in advance, for maximum participation.  We will build a quality website, do extensive mailing and personally contact potential entries like auto manufacturers, universities, slot car manufacturers, real LSR guys, engineering firms, slot car and model builders.  

6.  We will pitch the project to a film production company as a cable TV (Speed Channel?) special. If a film deal is in hand it will be much easier to pull in some serious sponsorship.

7.  The track be temporary, and made of aluminum rectangular tube separated by 1/8? plastic insulators.  We have not yet determined final track length or where the traps will be placed, but we are thinking a minimum length of 660 feet, 3 scale miles.  If possible, we'd like to do twice that length.

8. Event will be a ?Proxy? event.  This means that entrant may attend, but may not touch their cars after delivery to event.  There will be NO testing of cars prior to run.  This is to allow entrants who ship their cars form all over the world to compete on an even footing.    All cars will be unpackaged, photographed and run and repackaged by our crew.

9.  1/24 scale drag cars reach 130 actual MPH in a scale ? mile.  We estimate that theoretical top speed on a very long track will be about 440 actual MPH.    

Questions I hope someone on this site can halp us with are:

A.  How long can our track be?  

B.  Where must the speed traps be placed?  DO we need to time for a flying scale mile, or can the traps be shorter to allow a longer accelleration area?

C.  Recommended venue?

D.  Who is our best contact to coordinate/include our event with official LSR?

E.   What is required of offical timeing equipment.  Can we supply our own, or must we use official equipment and timing staff?

F.  Must we run in both directions and average results to be official?

G.  There is some controversy among us about the "proxy" aspect.  There are those who want a pit area and on site car testing.  There are also those who want a more public venue, lieka shopping mall parking lot, or an indoor site like a hanger. Any thoughts on this?

H.  Has anything like this been done before?

I.  What am I missing?

I appreciate your time and anticipate your responses!

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Oh Well
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2005, 05:00:31 PM »
The WEB site seems real enoughh.
Sure I bit. I sent a PM with some information.
We shall see.
And if it works, it can be fun to watch.
Did i ever tell you about the Belt Sander races and the National events ?
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

nomad2race

Here I am
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2005, 05:42:30 PM »
Hey, I'm serious.

Call me any time at 760-492-4619 or visit me at 2590 Pioneer Avenue Suite A,. Vista, CA.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Take a look
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2005, 07:09:53 PM »
Look at his profile and follow his progress.
Slot cars are not for sissy's anymore than any of the other stuff you do.
ENJOY
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline aircap

Slot Car LSR
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2005, 10:46:26 PM »
Hey - the Slot Car Drag Nationals have been held here in Wichita before, and believe me - it's a big deal! This LSR idea sounds like fun to me. Go for it!
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

dwarner

Slot Car LSR
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2005, 01:01:25 AM »
Jack D,

I didn'rt see a website in the original post. Please provide.

Nomad,

Any other web places we can go to? I haven't done slot cars in 40 years. I do want to do a drop from the ceiling Scalextric type of deal in my garage. My dad had the idea way back to do a race track like a HO train system. Up and down hills, full detail on the sidelines, etc.

Dan Warner

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Dan is just a kid and needs help
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2005, 01:10:32 AM »
It has been 50 years for me . I always wondered why the old time racers I knew as a kid were so interested. Now I realize they were kids too.
When John Vesco said to put STP on the tires, I about choked. When I dusted the big kids, they choked.
Look on his profile for the website kid.

dwarner

Slot Car LSR
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2005, 01:27:14 AM »
OK - I got it.

That's the kinda thing I'm thing abot doing. Isn't Vista near you Jack?

dwarner

Slot Car LSR
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2005, 01:29:04 AM »
Another question.

Why are we on the Internet at 10:30 on a Saturday night? I'm watching U S Nationals qualifying, what's you excuse?

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Well
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2005, 01:40:52 AM »
Since I quit my day job, time is less inmportant than ever.
Vista is slightly north and east of Lattin.
Darrien's car with the chick got dusted in the 1st round by an elder that has been racing longer than she has been around.
I have entries in 3 locations this weekend and decided to treat them all the same. I stayed home and decided to treat all of them LOL

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
Slot Car LSR
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2005, 03:14:08 PM »
hey nomad my shop is about 3 blocks away from you! 2530 fortune way. ya ought ta come over and check out my liners and other junk!
kent

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
At first
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2005, 05:57:54 PM »
I thought it was a Kent joke at first.

nomad2race

Progress
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2005, 12:38:10 AM »
Hey Jack, Kent & all...

I will get by Kent's place very soon.

I can supply cars, track and parts for those home raceways you've been dreaming of.

I have answered most of my questions above except I've got allot of work to do onthe rules and classes. I've ordered an SCTA rulebook to study.  Our first dilemma is how many classes to allow. My European contact has suggested more than 80, but we know we don't want so many.  Do we include classes for the various road and drag classes?  What is the right balance to get enough entries without too many classes?  All things I've got to work out.

There has never yet been a slot car LSR track anything like I propose.  I hope to create an exciting challenge to the slot car world and draw some attention from the rest of the world.

My website is www.nomadslotracing.com I have produced a successful vintage race event called Dino Derby.  There's nothing yet on the LSR project, but there will be soon!

I've been racing slot cars for 40 years and have a collection of 200 mostly handmade cars spanning more than 50 years.  Almost all of them are race ready and many have won a race within the past 5 years.

I've always interested in helping an old racer, or a new one.

Offline aircap

Slot Car LSR
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2005, 06:24:05 PM »
I was just doing a little rough math, and it seems a 1/24th scale Bonneville short course would be right around 1100 feet. This LSR Slotcar event could be run on a dragstrip, couldn't it? Just wondering.....
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

nomad2race

Dragstrip SLR
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2005, 03:19:32 AM »
Yes, a dragstrip would be about right.  Also it might be fun to stage a demonstation challenge against a full scale car...  We think it is possible that we might be faster than a fullscale in the quarter mile....

Any venue suggestions I can check out?