Author Topic: Wendover News  (Read 5043 times)

Offline landsendlynda

Wendover News
« on: November 12, 2009, 07:11:06 PM »

Mike Crawford was elected Mayor of Wendover this month!!!!  I know, isn't racing, but he's an important part of our salt family!!

Lynda

Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Wendover News
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 07:15:25 PM »
That's good news!!!

Pete

Offline mkilger

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 07:31:05 PM »
Thats cool Mike's a real nice guy, good luck to him.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 08:08:58 PM »
The inside story:  Mike was on the city commission for the past few years, and is the guy responsible for the annual volunteer workers party (put on by SCTA) being morphed into a community picnic hosted by Wendover and the SCTA.  It's held now at the city's recreation center/meeting hall a couple of blocks south of Wendover Avenue, on Thursday of SpeedWeek.  It's only two years old -- but there's a good turnout and it's fun.

Mike is pretty active in the community, too.  In case you don't know - he owns the Car Quest shop at the end of town - and opens early/stays open late during race events.  He also builds his own customized Corvettes -- and is the driving force behind the annual car show/Vette drive-in at the Wendover Field Air show (usually right after World of Speed).  For the sake of further disclosure, his sister, Kerri, is one of the ladies that runs the West Wendover Welcome Center.  She makes sure the Center is stocked with race stuff -- photos, books, information for tourists on what's happening locally in the LSR venue.  She usually sets up a booth near the Red Flame to offer spectators some information about Wendover -- and to gather more information about us folks for the Center.  She's also tall, though not as tall as Mike.

So -- Hizzoner, the Mayor.  Mike told us how he and another guy had been on the commission for quite a while and the mayor's job was to become available.  He told the other guy that he (Mike) didn't want to be mayor, so the other guy was going to run for it.  Then he dropped out -- and Mike ended up being the likely candidate.  He didn't want the job as much as was willing to accept it when thrust upon him.

Still -- it can't hurt land speed racing to have someone that's pretty interested in our avocation - as mayor of one of the twin towns that's right be our venue.  No, I don't think he can do anything about motel rates -- but you're welcome to get in touch and ask.  I don't have his number right handy -- but you can go to the Car Quest site and find it.

Congratulations to Mike Crawford, the new mayor of Wendover, Utah.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 08:14:51 PM »
Thanks for the description Slim.  We have talked with Mike many times at his shop, really nice guy and he's got a nice hot rod to boot. :cheers:

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 09:14:44 PM »
   They've got a treasure, now maybe they've got someone who'll stand on the soapbox and promote it.
Doug
SaltCat Racing :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 09:38:09 AM »
congrats,mike.

franey
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline Tom Liberatore

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 01:30:47 PM »
I hope he brings Big Red to city hall! :-D
Pepperoni Bros.- XF/VOT

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 03:37:56 PM »
Mike's one good dude.  As was mentioned, they've got a winner (and so do we, I hope.)  I should see him when I cover the Autorama in March.  He told me that the Corvette club of Utah wuz gonna try to put on an extra special display...if for no other reason than to snatch the Best Club Display award from the Stags car club that's owned it for quite a while.  I'm lookin forward to that shoot.

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2009, 12:51:10 AM »
Awesome news!!!!!