Author Topic: Are Air Vents OK on an Altered Coupe?  (Read 3076 times)

JohnR

Are Air Vents OK on an Altered Coupe?
« on: August 27, 2005, 11:57:36 AM »
The rulebook specifically disallows them under the description of the Gas Coupe class but makes no mention of them at all for the Altered Coupe class. I don't want to ASSume anything.

Anybody know?

Dan, you out there?

Thanks,
John

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005, 10:27:23 AM »
Air vents are allowed in Fuel/Gas Altered Coupes. It came from competitors removing the tail light fixtures of 53 type Studebakers and the area left was known as an air vent. Certain louvers also fall into this definition.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005, 02:19:50 PM »
is there a limit to how big the air vent can be?

The rulebook says it can't remove a body feature, like the crown of a fender, so working within the spirit, (for example only of course), would a 30" wide by 18" high cutout be an air vent? assuming it was below the rear wing on the rear of the car body? what about a 48" x 24" cutout?. I am assuming there is a reasonable limit on how big is too big but is there a working definition used when teching a car?

What if I cut out the blackened area like is shown in this picture:

http://www.savepic.com/freepicturehosting/is.php?i=402435&img=air_vent.jpg

Be easy on me, I don't have a 53 stude so I working with what I got!

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 07:15:48 PM »
Quote from: John Romero

Be easy on me, I don't have a 53 stude so I working with what I got!

But you do have 2 back taillights, like the stude  :D .

c ya, Sum

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2005, 10:49:28 AM »
Sum: It looks like John wants to relieve the air from the bottom of the car with his rendition of the air vents in the bumper area. The tail light removal of a Studie relieved the "fender well" area.  

Removal of a Honda tail light would just open up the trunk. However John could consider "air ducts" which are also legal for the class, using the tail light opening for the exit of the duct.

IMO, John is looking for a way to eliminate the "air grabbing" rear bumber the Honda Civic is saddled with from the factory. Since I own the same model he is using I know what is under the car. A "belly pan" designed correctly would be his best bet but unfortunately is not allowed in the class he is now running in. If he did choose to run in Comp Coupe and build that belly pan he is already 50 MPH over that record too. I'm sure John has looked at all this and is planning what's best for their car and the records.

Personally I appauld what he and Sean have done in this H class The use of the modern engines and innovation is fun to watch.  They also do not want to be thrown out of impounds or be protested and loose the protest. Once again they are to bee applauded for this...Good Luck.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro