Author Topic: Rotary Motor "Correction factor":  (Read 18787 times)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
NO WORRIES
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2005, 01:59:09 PM »
I was teasng.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

equimania

Rotary Motor "Correction factor":
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2005, 02:08:34 PM »
Quote from: 1212FBGS
so mark........ Would you go down to your local bike shop or send a press release to a magazine and say "I'm proud to announce I set a 1000cc world record at 100mph"????

I was going to gracefully bow out of this debate but since you asked me the direct question, I'll give you an answer.  No, I would say no such thing.  

First, because I am not especially a boastful person, and besides it's not a record I am particularly proud of -- not ashamed of either, we just ran it within the rules, and now hold a place in the ECTA record books until someone knocks us out.

Second, I did not set that record.  Nancy Wennerberg did.  You'll notice that of the 10 records that bike has, 8 different riders hold them.  Some as infamous as some guy named Jon Amo.  I could have done them all, but it was a lot of fun putting different riders on the bike and seeing them have fun and get some seat time.

Third, as Keith points out, it's not a world record, and I would not call it such; it's an ECTA record.  Heck, I don't call my Bonneville record a "world record" either; it is just a Bonneville record. (Ouch.)

Finally Nancy's 1000cc record is 107+.  Don't diminish it to 100 just because you don't like my point of view.  :lol:

Now one for you.  Would you put out a press release that says, "I hold the record as the fastest [car][bike] in thus-and-such class under x-litres (but only because the rules protect me from guys with smaller motors who would obliterate my record)?"  Because, in my view, in light of the rules that's what SCTA records stand for. :P

Mark

JohnR

« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2005, 02:29:58 PM »
hey guys, I'm thinking about building a car for Bonneville, Does anybody know if there is some sort of equivalency factor for rotary engines? If so, does anybody know what it is or where I can find out more about it?

Thanks in advance! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

equimania

« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2005, 02:32:59 PM »
Quote from: John Romero
. . . does anybody know what it is or where I can find out more about it?

Not here, obviously.  :lol:  :lol:

Mark

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
That should do it.
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2005, 02:42:23 PM »
Arntcha glad Ya asked.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2005, 05:37:59 PM »
I'd like to comment on the Question of Engine Measurment and the amount of volunters. The SCTA 4 wheel types have 2 who normally do this with a P & G pump, Center spark plug engine tools, or direct by dial indicators.
The tooling does cost, but I believe there would be at least 2 in the ECTA who could easily do this and would if asked. Same for the M/C's only a few do it.  

Just cause you have more people does not mean you have more volunteers.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2005, 07:07:59 PM »
boy this is fun, I like bee's

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2005, 07:09:21 PM »
Jack are ya going to the meating tonight
Kent

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Just for the Record
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2005, 07:17:32 PM »
History Lesson #9-01-05
It was the biker bunch that came up with all the tools to measure a motor and save pulling a head.
Elmo was the second one to use it for a car.

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2005, 07:57:36 PM »
Little liner don?t worry bout me, heck the old FBGS was 211. I put over 30 on it, Yeh I think its a little low now it wasn't a couple of years ago. That?s why I went back this year to bump it up. Ran a 216 with a back door of 225 in a forth gear course check out. Ran bout the same as Rick. Didn?t get a chance to get it back off the trailer. I'm confidant I?ll go over 300 if the corse is good. Kinda cool that Rick?s middle of the displacement car in class is the fastest BG liner

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Yup
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2005, 08:23:40 PM »
Wouldn't miss it (well tonight anyway).

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2005, 08:51:30 PM »
Boy it can sure hurt bitting one's tounge. :-#
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2005, 11:36:47 PM »
Quote from: jimmy six
I'd like to comment on the Question of Engine Measurment and the amount of volunters. The SCTA 4 wheel types have 2 who normally do this with a P & G pump, Center spark plug engine tools, or direct by dial indicators.
The tooling does cost, but I believe there would be at least 2 in the ECTA who could easily do this and would if asked. Same for the M/C's only a few do it.  
Just cause you have more people does not mean you have more volunteers.

Due to ECTA's proficiency of getting vehicles down the track, it would take alot more then two people to keep up with the record runs in the 1.5 days we are there. This thread has been totally off the original subject, but since this was mentioned... it makes me wonder if the SCTA was doing this in it's first ten years of existence?
Those that haven't been there would be suprised at just how few people actually make the weekends at Maxton happen.
Todd

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Just for the record
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2005, 02:08:15 AM »
In the early days of SCTA you were put into a class by virtue of how fast you ran. If you ran too fast for the others in your class, you were bumped up so it was fair.
 Nobody measured NUTHIN.
ECTA actually started 30+ years ahead of the point that SCTA started and they are happy with the way it is evolving.
Comparing the 2 will do no more than generate a smile from those that can tell the difference.

Offline hawkwind

Re: Just for the record
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2005, 06:09:06 AM »
Quote from: JackD
In the early days of SCTA you were put into a class by virtue of how fast you ran. If you ran too fast for the others in your class, you were bumped up so it was fair.
 Nobody measured NUTHIN.
ECTA actually started 30+ years ahead of the point that SCTA started and they are happy with the way it is evolving.
Comparing the 2 will do no more than generate a smile from those that can tell the difference.

Amen
slower than most