Author Topic: Speedweek '05 Images  (Read 3520 times)

Offline Jondolar

• New folks
    • http://www.landspeed.com
Speedweek '05 Images
« on: August 24, 2005, 02:24:06 AM »
Ladies & Gentlemen:

As a new member of this forum, I'd like to invite you to my site where I've recently placed several pictures from the recent Speedweek. Sorry to hear that the salt conditions were rough and that we lost a driver this year. In fact, I understand that the car involved is part of the gallery collection, taken only four minutes before it happened. :(

http://www.landspeed.com

Hope you enjoy it.
Jondolar
NAE Webslave & C.I.O.
"Challenges can be stumbling blocks, or stepping stones. It's just a matter of how you view them." Unknown

Clay Taylor

Speedweek '05 Images
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 10:04:58 PM »
Hey Jon -

Sorry I missed seeing you at the Salt.   I lurked down at the 4-mile mark most of the day on Monday, and by the time I wandered down into the pits, I couldn't find Ed & Cam's lakester.

I did get a few good photos of it in action, so I'll send you some copies for the NAE site.   I hope to see youguys at Edwards AFB this fall.

Clay

Offline Leon

• http://www.ridgenet.net/~biesiade/
Speedweek '05 Images
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 01:51:32 AM »
Quote from: Clay Taylor
Hey Jon -
I hope to see youguys at Edwards AFB this fall.

Are they opening up the base this year?

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Speedweek '05 Images
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 12:20:35 AM »
Quote from: Leon
Quote from: Clay Taylor
Hey Jon -
I hope to see youguys at Edwards AFB this fall.

Are they opening up the base this year?

I have not heard that, I would love that if they did..

J

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Edwarfds AFB
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005, 12:55:56 AM »
The conditions for use have not changed and it is available.
The 17k ft concrete has a certified mile and kilo in the middle. Vehicles set up for Maxton that can last a mile at speed and do it twice can do pretty well.
 The dirt runway has been damaged by the warer table going down in part due to the surroundng development as you also see at El Mirage. If you fill the cracks, a thrust vehicle might due a lot better in the dirt because it depends on a soft surface for steering.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Re: Edwarfds AFB
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2005, 01:04:22 AM »
Quote from: JackD
The conditions for use have not changed and it is available.
The 17k ft concrete has a certified mile and kilo in the middle. Vehicles set up for Maxton that can last a mile at speed and do it twice can do pretty well.
 The dirt runway has been damaged by the warer table going down in part due to the surroundng development as you also see at El Mirage. If you fill the cracks, a thrust vehicle might due a lot better in the dirt because it depends on a soft surface for steering.

So Jack, what would it take to start have a once yearly meeting there?

J

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Edwards
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2005, 01:33:18 AM »
The mission at Ed is quite apart from the military and they host a number of private contractors.
As far as the concrete is concerned it is the best groomed manmade surface around. The window of time for exclusive use would be very limited and you would need to be setup to clear right away. The last time we ran there some unscheduled cross country reserves came in and we cleared in about 2 min.
We sat on a taxiway and they took out picture as they drove by. Anything that would do well at Maxton should do ok at the concrete of Ed.
When we did a test at the Honda joint next door, the Ed guy suggested we might even use the paint booth for an indoor pit next time.
The dirt will be very much like El Mirage and I have seen as much as 14 miles prepared for HI Speed running.
SCTA would be a good place to start to set up a meet.
The Jet Car may wish to run alone.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"