Author Topic: Stroud "deployment Bags"  (Read 7671 times)

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
Stroud "deployment Bags"
« on: October 17, 2009, 09:33:51 PM »
We totally trashed our "D" bags at B'ville at the World Finals. First time at Bonneville for us and first time we ever used the chutes. Is this common. Should we carry extra bags in the truck?

5735 BGL

Rob Freyvogel
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Speed Limit 1000

Re: Stroud "deployment Bags"
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 12:43:47 AM »
The bag on the 1411 F/GS also was trashed. Our first year with the car so we did not know if it was normal either. Maybe a Kevlar bag would be better or how the chute was packed could have led to the problem.
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline saltyracer

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 01:02:45 AM »
What type of bags do you have square 8x8 mounted on car? how did you pack the chute fold it up or stuff it
your running lakster?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 01:04:27 AM by saltyracer »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 01:32:29 AM »
yes you are going to WEAR out the bags---I use them untill they are destroyed------caution---- if you continue to use them--  I know from experience you want to tape them with masking tape to not let the torn bag  catch air---the bag "can"or rather WILL then catch air and may give you an INTRESTING deployment---all and all-- love my Stroud's---too see a proper deployment--- you tube  -- car 2211
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 10:22:52 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Blue

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 01:43:04 AM »
D-bags are the single most comsumable part of the chute system.  Plan on trashing them and carrying spares.

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 10:18:40 AM »
The bag is about 4 inches in dia. and 18 inches long and goes into a tube. We will get new ones and carry spares. :|
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline JamesLaMere

• WoS'07
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 01:08:39 PM »
Skip had to replace one Stroud bag at WF after two runs with it.

James LaMere
crew volunteer
Skip Hedrich's 992 'liner
B/GS record 331.187 WoS '09
B/FS qualifier 344.172 WF '09

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 02:25:28 PM »
Someone will need to explain why you use a "bag" system if you need to replace the bags from wear on the salt dirt, blacktop, etc: The salt hits/drags on the chute the same amount or less and it doesn't wear out or at least mine doesn't. I have a tripform chute I bought new 26 years ago it's just like new. I had it inspect and had very minor repairs made 3 years ago before Chute Metal went out of business. It has no bag and can be folded and placed in the pack behind our roll bar in less than 5 minutes. It has never failed to come out

I helped a competitor fold a new Shroud into its bag and then into the pack and found it to be a lot more work than one without the bag. I personally liked the chute but would have left the bag in the box and packed it normal. I have a routine with mine and maybe thats the problem.

Sounds like the manufacturer has a way of getting extra $$'s for bags that maybe for the convenience of putting it in the pack...................JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 02:45:29 PM »
The bag gets worn because it is dragging on the ground even at slow speed when the chute is still in the air. Some people coast a long way after they pull off the course and the bag is dragging all that time. Get off the course as soon as safe, slow down and stop! Look at some of the videos out the back of the car and you will see the chute stays blossomed until you almost stop.
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 04:24:21 PM »
JD,  the THEORY is that it keeps the chute from opening before the shrouds are extended---less shock load on shroud lines---when my bak CAUGHT air I had a very hard deployment-- and was jerked slightly sideways and up  from it being off and up.---as best as Bob and I can determine
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 04:40:31 PM »
  If you bought your chute FROM Stroud, you will recieve a mailer over the winter which is a two for one sale on the bags (at least last year) ..... I carry two spares.............  my chutes open up really smooth, although getting the attachment point at the right height may be the partial or total reason..........
  p.s.  A few years back I tore a chute panel on my push bar wheel bracket, so I like the Stroud setup.
Bob Drury

Offline John Burk

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2009, 05:07:06 PM »
JT
On streamliners the long tether lines on the high speed chute get a heck of a snap when the slack goes out if the canopy is already partially blossomed . With Stroud bags that can't happen .

Offline Harold Bettes

• Firebase High Country
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2009, 05:25:05 PM »
Howdy All, :-D

The "deployment bag" on the Stroud chute is much like a "sleeve" for personnel chutes and it specifically decreases the opening shock because it allows the main canopy to gradually inflate. :-o Bob Stroud is an engineer and an old sky soldier to boot and he appreciates the softer opening methodology! :roll:

Sometime when the time is just right I will tell some stories about Bob and his time in the special forces... :lol: Most parachute riggers have heard of Bob Stroud in one capacity or another!!! 8-)

This techno-infomercial is now concluded. :wink:

Regards to All, :cheers:
HB2 :-)

If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

As iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2009, 05:28:50 PM »
The purpose of the sleeve is to get the chute and lines fully extended before the canopy blossums. This takes the jerk out. Similar to personnel parachutes.

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2009, 07:08:44 PM »
Sounds like "taking the jerk" out is a good idea.

Charles

P.S.  I am also going to use a Stroud Chute for the Stude
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com