Author Topic: My first "Bonneville Story"  (Read 4387 times)

Offline Papi

My first "Bonneville Story"
« on: October 13, 2009, 08:51:10 PM »
In this previous thread on another forum, HERE, I talked about my journey after nearly 40 years into Land Speed Racing.

El Mirage was our first Rookie event (September 2009) in the SCTA (Southern California Timing Association) and where I broke my LSR Cherry per se. After we competed there and "Licensed Up", we were invited to come to the World Finals at Bonneville on October 7-11.  Since I had not planned on going to Bonneville until SpeedWeek 2010, I thought this would be a good way for us to run on the Salt in a competitive environment and learn the ropes of the Bonneville Nationals.

In between the time of the El Mirage event and World Finals, we were "voted in" by the members of the San Diego Roadster Club (you have to be in a club as a member to be a part of the SCTA).

I was excited and apprehensive about going to Bonneville. First of all, this is the last Bonneville event of the year, and the World Finals attracts generally the best of the best to close out the year with record runs. I knew there was no way in hell we would set any records, but I felt the chance to run there with the cream of the crop was an opportunity that could not be missed.

We frantically worked on the bike, got more parts, did dyno work and tuning. Two days before we left, we were buttoning up the last minute details and loading up for Utah. It was a non-stop team effort that got us out the door. Everyone involved worked hard and meticulously.

Then, a major snag hit us; the Weather.  It was unsure as of 4 days before the event if the rain would hit the Salt and shut down the event. In the LSR Circle, dozens of us were running the predicatability charts on the NOAA Weather Models and placing odds on success of the event actually beginning. Then, on Saturday before the event only 3 days away, it rained in Wendover Utah and some rain hit the Salt.
Now at this time, SCTA-BNI and scores of volunteers were on the ground at Bonneville studying the Salt and also predicting the outcome of whether the World Finals would occur. All this time, we are still readying the Bike, packing and loading up the Rig to leave.

Since inspection was scheduled to begin on Tuesday October 6th, we had to get out of dodge no later than Monday at 7AM if we were gonna make it on time. It's not like it would be an easy road trip either. We were loaded to the gills with the Toy Hauler, 150 Gallons of fresh water on board, 100 gallons of Fuel of all types, 2 generators, spare parts, food, this and that. It was a Heavy Load. Plus, we have 8 legs to take care of on the trip up. That means stopping every 3 hours for potty time, food, water and play time. I anticipated if we ran straight through, with all the stops at an average of 65MPH we would be there in 14-16 hours conservatly.

By Sunday night, there was a good report from SCTA that only a mild amount of water hit the Salt, and they would announce Monday AM if the event was On, Postponed or Off. Still preparing as if we are leaving, I left a message at the SCTA Office for a call back Monday AM as to what was happening before we left. Thankfully, we delayed leaving at 7AM and waited for the call. When the office did call, they had good news and bad news. They said the Event was ON, but delayed by 1 day while they dragged the Salt to make sure the course was fit. That was good enough for me, so we headed out for Utah just after lunch on Monday and took our sweet time getting there.

We pushed through to Winnemucca Nevada on the first leg, and crashed at some truck stop and slept in the trailer for a few hours. MrsPapi had some red blinking neon light flashing on her during the night at the truck stop, so she was less than happy on Tuesday AM when we set out for Wendover. The drive through the Nevada High Desert is very tranquil. I love being up there, as the high desert reminds me of frontier days gone by and the trek "Out West". There is just something about it up there that really makes me feel very peaceful.

As we got closer to Eastern Nevada, the scenery began to change with snow covered grounds and mountains. Again, that simple beauty of the high desert was all around us. Simply magnificent.

On the decent into Wendover, it looks like every other industrial mining town in many ways. Western Utah also has it's simple beauty with stunning rock formations rising from the desert floor. At a certain altitude, we could begin seeing the Salt.
Shortly thereafter, the signs of life appeared and we had arrived at our destination.

Upon getting to the entrance, we were greeted by SCTA-BNI staff that informed us that setting up our Pit area was OK, but no camping on the Salt. We were to set up what we had, then return Wednesday AM for registration and tech inspection. As we rolled out onto the Salt, MrsPapi was amazed by the area of shear salt across the expanse.

We found a nice Pit spot about 3 miles from the starting line, and 1/4 mile from the SCTA-BNI booths. As we pulled up, I was greeted by an old salty "JD" who is also in the same club as us. He was there with his son who is close to my age, and we chatted up about the days to come. JD is really a wonderful guy, and he has many "Bonneville Stories" as they are called.

MrsPapi was setting up and I was breaking out tables and chairs for our Pit Area.
We pulled out the bike, made some room inside the trailer and set up shop. As the clock approached 6PM, we started getting ready to haul out of the Pit and go find a camping spot. I got on the bike to ride her up the ramp to back of the trailer. As I rode her up, the gaurd in front of the drain plug on the bottom of the oil pan and drain plug caught the center hinge of the ramp on the trailer and shoved them inside the base of the pan with a CRACK sound.

It was by far, a heart dropping moment. I looked at MrsPapi and said I hope that was wasn't my oil pan, and she looked down by my feet, and said, "I think it was" as 1 gallon of Motul 5100 drained in a nice big puddle between my feet in the trailer.  That "Oh Subaru" moment was one of the worst feelings I have ever had in my life. Here we are at Bonneville, 1 day before inspection, all the weeks of preperation and money to get there, and I have a bustificated bike with a hole in the oil pan the size of a fifty cent piece. I was pissed, I was tired, I was anguished. There was no single way to describe at that moment how I really felt, except one; failure.

We frantically dropped towels under the bike to soak up the oil. The sweet smell of Esther in the oil filled the rig as we mopped it up with bath towels.  Just then, many others swarmed in to begin solution fixing.  Now I want to stop here for a moment to discuss this phenomena that is uniquely motor sports related, but especially in Land Speed Racing.

This "solution fixing" phenomena happens when another racer is stranded and something needs fixing and a solution to the problem. No where else will you find a greater bunch of folks that rally around you to come up with a solution and fix your problem ASAP. It is truly an amazing event when it does happen, and I have been blessed with this twice now, both at SCTA events. It is as if some of these old roadsters guys have seen it all, and there is nothing that can't be "solution fixed" with the right recipe of knowledge and resources.

Now, back to the oil gusher under my bike. She bled out in about 30 seconds all the oil she was carrying. It was a real mess. JD and his son were the first on the scene acting as if it was no big deal. Me, on the other hand, was ready to commit Hara-kiri with a pipe wrench to my head. I was so amped up and disgusted by what just happened, I couldn't even speak. For a moment, I was catatonic.  I looked at MrsPapi and said "Pack it up, we are going home".  Now remember, we had just arrived. In less than a couple hours, the dream was over.

JD was not so pessimistic. He looked at me with his wisdom filled eyes and said, "Look, this is Bonneville. Magical things happen at Bonneville like no where else in the world. You are gonna get it fixed and race. Don't worry, you will race and we will find someone here to help you fix it."  For a moment I thought there was someone actually crazier than I. Where in the hell am I gonna find an Oil Pan for a ZX14 in the middle of BFE Utah?

Just then, more hands arrived on scene, and JD with his wisdom and slight smile said, "Don't worry, your gonna race".  In the meantime I have no idea what to do.

Mr. Lee Kennedy who is on the SCTA-BNI Board rolled up in his truck. He to was very consoling but was already on the phone looking for an Oil Pan at a local Kawasaki Dealer.  We also were on the phone, and talked with a nice kid named Brian at a dealer near SLC Utah. He said he didn't have a pan in stock, but could have it to us in a day. We went ahead and ordered it, as even if we were delayed one day, we could still race Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun.  We also ordered anything else like gaskets and so on. Brian assured me that the parts would be there on Thursday AM in his hands. We thanked him, thanked the instant crew that had built up around us and MrsPapi looked at me and said "We aren't going home, you fix this thing so we can race".

With the disaster momentarily out of the way, and a plan to get her out on Thursday, I was mildly relieved, but still shaken up by the whole thing. As we saddled up back in the rig, it was now 6:30PM and time to get off the Salt. As we drove to check out, Lynda, the great lady running the front gate asked me how it was going so far. Then, like a school boy who just had his first break up with his honey, I almost broke down. I gave her the whole download and the bit about wanting to just go back home. Like JD, she looked at me with confidence and said "Here is what you need to do", "You need to go into town to the Auto Parts store and see Mike the owner", "he will find a way to help you". Again, like I felt with JD, here is another person telling me to do something that I feel is no where near related to my problem. I was beginning to think that the Salt was effecting these poor folks in some weird way. So, I listened to her instructions, and we headed into town. MrsPapi asked if the auto parts store would have my oil pan, and I said no way in hell. But maybe, maybe we could weld it with a Tig Welder.  We arrived at the parts store, I entered and asked for Mike. He was a tall guy behind the counter and he said "that's me".  I gave him the download and asked if he knew anyone that could Tig and Mig weld cast aluminum and plate aluminum together. He grabbed a piece of paper and wrote down a name and phone number for me, then sent me on my way.

I called the number on the paper, the gentlemen answered and I gave him my name and story. He asked where I was, I gave him my location and he said he would meet me there in about 45 minutes.  I was shocked. Here I was in BFE Utah, a broken bike, calling some stranger I had no idea who it was, and he was gonna meet me to see how he could help.  In between this time, I was on the Cell with Jon and Nancy (SSS). We met up with them in town, and I cried on their shoulder for a bit as well. SSS is a great guy. He also had the atitude that it would get fixed and not worry.

We had the trailer ramp down as I was tearing into the bike on a side street to get to the pan so he could see the problem when he arrived. He arrived in about 20 minutes, looked at the hole in the pan and said " I think we can fix that".  He asked "When do you need it done?", and I replied "Now".  He scratched his chin for a minute (although it seemed like eternity) and said "Alright, my shop is down the street, let's get it over there".  We drove over there, and as we arrived, another Racer's mechanic was into a speed setting car and motors and parts everywhere. The welders shop was a relic from days gone by, but he turned it into an eclectic shop that could basically do anything motor sports related.  We got the bike apart, the pan out and observed the hole. It was mess. He grabbed a thick piece of plate aluminum and cut it to size, cleaned up the whole and went to welding me up a custom bottom part of the pan. It was a miracle.
Like ol' JD had said, Bonneville is a Magical place.

After the pan was done, we started getting the bike back together. It was 2AM on Wednesday, and tech inspection was just 6 hours away.  We buttoned her up, filled her with fresh oil and a filter, and ran her hot to make sure nothing else leaked. She was perfect once again. At nearly 3AM she was reloaded into the trailer, and we drove off to park at the truck parking lot at the Bonneville exit to sleep for 2 hours before having to get up again. Needless to say, I didn't sleep.  But now, I had my own Bonneville Story.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 02:26:50 AM by Papi »
Steve "Papi" Chappell, SCTA-BNI #2230 to 2239
Dirty 2 Club Member, Mojave Mile 2 Club Member
San Diego Roadster Club

Offline Bville701

Re: My first "Bonneville Story"
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 10:32:27 PM »
Great story Papi!!! That's what Bonneville and LSR is all about!!!    :cheers:
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Offline F104A

• http://www.landspeed.com
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 11:11:38 PM »
Over the 20 years I've been going to Bville, I have my stories but nothing compared to the guys that have been going to Bonneville for a while. Every year is a new set of problems to overcome and somehow we manage to solve them. Welcome to the fraternity (and sorority).
Ed

Offline Freud

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 12:19:50 AM »
Papi, just remember....what goes around comes around.

Some time you will be the angel. Just be prepared.

You never know when you will be needed.

Welcome to B'ville.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Flyboy

• Graduate National Test Pilots School,
    • http://WWW.SKYDANCERLE.COM
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 12:49:48 AM »
Great story and welcome--
One Fast ZX-14
Three World and Four AMA Land Speed Records
One Fast Cessna Turbo 210

Offline Texican

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 02:17:03 AM »
Papi...
What a fabulous story.
We met on the start line when you came over and shared my umbrella.
Ray is sorry that he couldn't link up with you; but with a bit of luck, we'll all survive the next several months. Try shooting him a PM, or just link directly from his website. I think he has some pics of your rig; he only shot about 4K images in 6 days and, as we scribble here, they are being sorted and collated.
The man is a working fool.

I was doing "pit buick*" duties for the Spirit of St. Louis II team and loving every minute.
I no longer race; I've met my limits on a couple of fronts, and will not push the envelope until it's time to check out the final 'bucket list'.
However, I'm proud for you having the time of your life (apparently) and hope that this is just the down payment for, oh, let's give it another 40 to 60 years or so.
In The present day, we all live longer, and we know more about how to eat right
First glance indicates that you're not totally unfamiliar with the finer points of a weight room.
Keep it up, in more ways than one. :-D :wink:
Hope to see you again soon; perhaps one of The future events at Elmo.
PM me if it's convenient; maybe I can pass on something you don't know yet, that I tripped over a few years back.
GREAT story; you should be able to sell it a magazine somewhere; in fact, I just thought of a connection with a friend in Colorado who might be able to market it for you,
Again, PM me and we'll link up and maybe something can happen.
I'm still the tall guy.
Regards,
Jim

*better known as b###h, or camp cook.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 03:17:43 AM by Texican »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 10:22:10 AM »
My 2 B'ville stories involve just trying to get to B, ville nothing so dramatic---Andy on the phone trying to score two 875/16  trailer tires on Sun. PM between  Kingman AZ & Vegas. To we rescued by Jim Price who was on the Salt and Mr. Bill who was in Bakersfied who told us how to break into Mr. Bill's shop and such.--

The previous year we missed the turn just N. of Alamo, NV and were attacked by a small heard of Mustangs but were able to limp into Caliente Nv---once again we call Jim Price, who was accompanied by Mr Bill enroute to Wendover.  They made a 40 detour we droped the trailer, unloaded the crippled truck and I put on my firesuit and crawled into the back of Jim's GWH truck and we continued to Wendover only a few hours late.  After the meet Jim towed us back to Vegas where Skip Higginbotham met us and towed the trailer to Phoenix,  ---both meets we raced--after being rescued by fellow racers.  Thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 11:06:18 AM »
Doc Freud nailed it.  I'm not a long-time salt flats veteran, but I know a little bit about the "pay it forward" concept.  You'll get your chance to help someone...and when the opportunity arises, go for it with all ya got. 

At one of the earlier meets this year, I was in my Burb editing some photos to post on landracing.  I had the aluminum foil cover thingie in the windshield and all the windows down...but I had to keep the ignition on or the motor running so I could run the inverter to power my laptop and printer.  That works great but that day the inside thermometer read 109F.  It was a bit warm in there, but if I opened the door, the buzzer drowned out the FM and CB radios.  I took a look at the switch and figured that I could drive a small sheet metal screw into the side of the switch activator and shut the d*mned buzzer up.

Like JD told you "Look, this is Bonneville. Magical things happen at Bonneville like no where else in the world."  I went to the guy who was parked next to me and asked if he might have a sheet metal screw. 

He said, "you look like you're about to pass out from heat stroke."  I had to agree that I was pretty d*mned hot.  So he got a huge bath towel and soaked it in the melted ice water in the bottom of his cooler.  Then he draped it over my head and neck.  The shock kinda jolted me, but then my head began to clear and I came to realize that I'd been sorta punch drunk from the heat.  (I'd been drinking a lot of Gatorade, so dehydration wasn't much of an issue. 

Then the guy came over and looked at the door switch.  He said, "Wait a minute" and went to his truck, picked up a screwdriver and had the switch out in seconds.  Duh.  I don't know Studebaker or Subaru  about relatively new cars (like 13 years old.  New.  Right.  Sure) so his assistance was "a magical thing that happened on the salt." 

Now as my friend Texican says, "But wait.  There's more."  After cooling off for a while I took his towel back to him.  I had a couple of my own.  I thanked him profusely, but he said, "I think that's what we're supposed to do. Help people."  I knew this on an intellectual level, but I'd never had it put in such a way that my heart could understand so profoundly.  I'm not a religious guy, but I have a very strong faith in God and I believe what he told me might just have been a message I was supposed to hear.  It's still rattling around in my head with the two remaining brain cells chasing after it.  :)

But wait....

A coupla weeks later,  I was shooting the Grand-Am race at Miller Motorsports Park.  It was brutally hot that day so I parked my Burb in such a way that I could shoot from the front seat, in the shade.  After being there for a few minutes, along came a young photography student and two of his friends.  I'd spoken with the student earlier in the day, just in passing.  But I could tell that he and his friends were in the same situation I was in...so I grabbed 3 bottles of Gatorade and gave 'em to the young men.  They were really surprised that someone would do that.  I asked if they'd ever been on the salt and none of them had.  That explained to me why they didn't understand the "magical thing."  The words of the guy who helped me came crashing into my mind, so I repeated them to the guys: "I think it's what we're supposed to do." I dunno if they understood it fully, but a months or so later I ran into one of them at a camera store.  Turns out that he works there.  He didn't offer to give me the store or anything, but he sure gave me some great service.  Small world.

But...never mind.  During Speed Week the battery in the Burb failed.  I knew it was gettin pretty weak and I'd planned to get another one that day.  It failed just one start too short.  But a guy came over, slapped jumper cables on and it fired right up.  I went in to Wendover to get a replacement.  Guess who helped me.  Yep it was Mike at the Car Quest store.  He loaned me tools to swap the battery and carried the new one out to the Burb.  I was able to swap it out in 5 minutes, if that.  When I came back for World Finals, I gave him some prints that I'd made of his show car, a screaming red 66 convert:
http://www.chevyasylum.com/cruisin/Cruisin2009/20090327/0903270018.html , just to say "thank you."  We talked for quite a while about car shows and other stuff and parted company with a promise from that I'd be at the Autorama next year and get as many photos as I  could of his Vette.  I made a print for the guy who'd given me the jump start, but I couldn't find him.  It's still in my portfolio so if he shows up next year, I'll give it to him then.

One more...and this isn't a pay it forward deal, but rather a complimentary word or two about Land's End Lynda. We've come to know one another a bit...and whenever I pass Land's End, I get out of the Burb and we share a hug.  She's a very nice lady...until ya flip her some sh*t like the 3 crazy women...well, let's just say that Lynda probably won't be sending them Christmas cards and vice-versa...in any case, she's a sweetheart and what she told you was probably the very thing you needed to hear at the moment.  Btw, I fired up the laptop on her birthday so she could read all the happy BD posts that had been made.  I won't rat her out about the tears streaming down her face, but I'll just say that she was very deeply touched.  :)

The world is stranger than fiction.

Btw, Papi, did you get the email I sent you?  If not, PM me here on landracing and I'll let you know about the photos I have of you on yer bike.  Not many, but some long-distance speed shots...at least I think it's you and yer bike.

Well, if anyone made it this far in this epistle, my hat's off to ya.  :)

Papi, just remember....what goes around comes around.

Some time you will be the angel. Just be prepared.

You never know when you will be needed.

Welcome to B'ville.

FREUD
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 11:15:55 AM by RayTheRat »

Offline 754

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 12:10:15 PM »
I had been to Bub 2 times, didnt race, but helped out a bit with 2 racers from our town.

Got a chance to go top SpeedWeek for the first time this year, a buddy works for a company that was sponsoring the Goldenhawk streamliner, out of Langley BC.

I drove out with my buddy and his brother, both had not been there before. One was a car nut, and had read many things about Bonneville over the years. I made sure we caught the first exit before the top of the hill coming into Wendover from the West.. stopped at a pullout above Wendover Bill, to get their first look.. I got to say that is well worth it, I did that the year before with another newbie.. best first view..IMO..

So we got into town hooked up with the team, went to the salt the next morning. Most of the team had never been to Bonnevile before, and there were a few things to be addressed on the liner. Finally got it into tech, and simply put, had to fix a bit of stuff.. a good day or more of stuff.

I have to say the  tech inspectors were fabulous and most helpful..  They really spent a lot of time in the pits with the team, and helped sort through everything.

We had to leave early though, so we missed seeing it on the track, they did get everything sorted out, and manage to make a shakedown pass.

I think everyone learned a lot, now know more what they are up against, and will have a better time next year.

We all found that many people are willling to help out, and yes it is a very magical place..

Plus, i got to meet, Ray, Slim, Nancy, Wester, Porkpie, Freud, the Buchtas, The Yellow Car girl , and many more.. a most excellent trip.. :cheers:
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 12:13:58 PM by 754 »

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 02:27:39 PM »
Hey 754...it was good seeing you.  I loved yer bargain-basement bike.  :)

I'm not sure I understand the reasoning behind yer "handle" but it must mean something.  I have a hard enough time remembering peoples' faces and names, let alone a number.  Is it something like "7 of 9" from Star Trek?

Just for the heck of it, ya might wanna consider a signature that just has yer first name.  I know ya told me, but...well, there goes that memory thing again.

Again, it was good to meet ya.

ps.  The Yellow Car Girl?  Ya mean Jade Pinup?

Offline 754

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 01:03:39 AM »
Ray, I ride a 750 Four, says it right on the bike.. :-D

First name Frank

Might have the Yellow Car thing  wrong, might be Yellow Chevy, she has a pic of a Yellow Chevy in here avatar.
 Her and her family was at Speedweek, they are fom Cranbrook BC, about 300 miles from here.. They were heading to a street rod meet in Spokane, nice people..

So who is the Jade pinup?, got a pic?

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 01:20:19 AM »
Ray or you bucking for the NOBEL peace prize  :?    I gaurantee you, YES YOU are more derserving than the LAST recipent!!!!!!!!!!!!   :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 10:20:06 AM »
He'll get it, too, if he posts some photos of Jade Pinup.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2009, 01:42:57 PM »
Lemme see if I got this right:  If I post photos of Jade, I get the Nobel prize, right?  Ok. Sounds good to me.  :)

Let's start by going back to this year's Rat Fink Reunion.  Jade and another model by a rat in front of Eileen Roth's house.

Jade and the same model were sighted while sitting on the front wheels of a rat rod.

Then there's one of her by the Rambler that ran at WoS.

So.  I'll be waiting for the check from the Nobel foundation.

Offline mkilger

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2009, 06:01:10 PM »
cool Rat, I like salty legs :-D