Author Topic: World off Speed results 2009  (Read 132833 times)

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
Re: World off Speed results 2009
« Reply #75 on: September 15, 2009, 11:26:57 PM »
hth: "Hope This Helps"

:?  hth  ?  must be late in the day huh Ray?

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
« Reply #76 on: September 16, 2009, 12:23:18 AM »
 :-D  Gotcha!!!  Thanks Ray.    Crow.
The Earth, is an intergalactic insane asylum.!

Offline JamesLaMere

• WoS'07
WOS is ON!
« Reply #77 on: September 16, 2009, 10:33:10 AM »
From USFRA officials a fewminutes ago:

WOS is ON! They will be setting wires today, the start will be moved down one mile, so they'll have a full 7-Mile course, pits open in the morning, and we should be racing by noon Thursday!

See you on the Salt!
James

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #78 on: September 16, 2009, 10:55:29 AM »
OKAY -- We're going to have a race event.  Kathy Shannon just called to let me know that we'll be able to go onto the Salt tomorrow morning.  Officials will have the salt to themselves this morning to move the course -- a full seven miles -- a bit down-course, but we'll end up with a full seven miles AND a 130 Club course -- just like planned.

We had heard that we'd be allowed onto the salt this afternoon to set up pits -- but no, not 'til morning.  But we'll be racing tomorrow.  Yeh-HAH!

More later, folks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #79 on: September 16, 2009, 11:16:44 AM »
YEE-HAWWW!!!  I'll be out in a few hours.  Wes Potter is also on his way.

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #80 on: September 16, 2009, 11:53:19 AM »
Slim, what is that #5400 that looks like the Batmobile in your pictures ? Joe e are you just going to leave us hanging on the Bert Munro story ? Good luck on the salt drying out, get some Salt Cat !

Offline DallasV

« Reply #81 on: September 16, 2009, 12:26:48 PM »
Slim, what is that #5400 that looks like the Batmobile in your pictures ? Joe e are you just going to leave us hanging on the Bert Munro story ? Good luck on the salt drying out, get some Salt Cat !

There are a bunch of Austin Healey's coming out to this event. I believe 5400 is a Healey streamliner that ran at the salt a long time ago
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #82 on: September 16, 2009, 01:08:23 PM »
Dallas is right.  The 5400 car is a replication of the streamlined Austin-Healey that ran on the salt in 1954.  I'm attaching a photo of the car with Ron Christensen talking to the gentleman who did the body work on the car.  He's Swiss, but as I understand it, the car was built in Australia.  Wes Potter told me that it's teched and ok'd to run up to 200 mph.  I can't remember what speed it ran in 54, but it wasn't a whole lot less than 2 bills.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 01:10:00 PM by RayTheRat »

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #83 on: September 16, 2009, 01:24:49 PM »
Hell, I have problems when it reaches 9999 and rolls over.

Don't ya love digital? When I shot film I was lucky to take 200 a year. Too much hassle.

My first digital camera was replaced at 13,000+ photos. Up to 7,000+ on the second.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: September 16, 2009, 02:19:21 PM »
We've just made a tour out to the pits and such.  Here are some photos to give you an idea of what the place is like.  Jim Burkdoll said he was about to go out and drag from the 7 to the 9, so that sounds good -- we've got that much room to run.  Sure hope the weather stays as per the forecast.

The first shot shows some folks coming in from the race area/pits -- you can tell how much water there is near Laand's End -- from the wakes they're leaving.

There's one of Larry Volk's truck about at the (new) start line -- this one has the red UofU awning in it.  I posted a similar photo the other day, during the rain.

And the third shot shows the surface out at the pits per se, so maybe you can see just how much water there is there.

We were asked to not go on the race course itself -- but it's east of the pits, and that's the drier area.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 02:24:16 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #85 on: September 16, 2009, 02:28:05 PM »
Glad they put down that extra salt near lands end this year, without it would be like a few years ago when you almost needed oars as you got off the pavement.

Larry

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #86 on: September 16, 2009, 02:57:57 PM »
Hell, I have problems when it reaches 9999 and rolls over.

Don't ya love digital? When I shot film I was lucky to take 200 a year. Too much hassle.

My first digital camera was replaced at 13,000+ photos. Up to 7,000+ on the second.

Yup.  I shot 9500+ photos at the last race event...and I was the 3rd place "quantity award winner" in our little photo group.  The highest count was over 11000.  Good thing the Canon has a long life expectancy.  I've only had it a coupla years and I sure don't wanna buy another one at this time.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: September 16, 2009, 06:30:21 PM »
Here's this afternoon's latest:

The race event will still begin tomorrow, Thursday.  And now it'll officially go all day Saturday and half of Sunday -- so although put back one dday -- it'll be the fullthree and a half days for qualifying/backing up records.

We've inspected scads of vehicles here at Land's End and also in other places -- such as the parking lot of the Rainbow, where I hear Tom Evans is holding out and doig a few bikes.

The course is still damp here and there, but good enough to be confident it'll be fine by race days.  The water here at Land's End is noticably less deep than even it was earlier today (like that stilted sentence construction?).  The pits still have standing water at the far western side -- nearest the mountains.  But there's plenty of room =for everyone -- so they won't be moving the pits.

Let's see -- who's here?  I saw Bob Ragsdale, and the Vesco 444 'liner just got through inspection.  There is the batch of Austin Healeys, and another flock of Mini Coopers.  A good number of cars and bikes for the 130 Club.  The 757 Camaro (I can see from here but not the owner/driver's name).  Bob Clancy, the guy that's the web guy for landracing.com, called this morning as he was leaving Reno.  He'll be here tomorrow to watch the proceedings.

And so on.  I'll get busy taking photos tomorrow during the drivers meeting so you can all see the attendance.

Deep enough for now.  It's bright here at Land's End -- difficult to see what I've typed. Later - -
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

LVMAXX

« Reply #88 on: September 16, 2009, 06:51:58 PM »
 :-D
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 08:41:22 AM by LVMAXX »

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #89 on: September 16, 2009, 07:16:30 PM »
  Just out of curiosity, what are the room rates for the Bigger motel/hotels in town.  I am planning on coming to the WF, and I am still stinging from the thousand buck rooms at Speedweek
Bob Drury