Author Topic: World off Speed results 2009  (Read 132837 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: World off Speed results 2009
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2009, 01:20:12 PM »
Okay, then.  I'm at a truck stop in Cheyenne, and it looks like I'm pressing on.

Salt or brine, see you there.

Chris
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Freud

« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2009, 01:45:28 PM »
Midget,there are a limited number of event times in our lives on the salt, so if you are as close as Wyoming, hammer down.

You will get there before everyone leaves, even if the meet is cancelled.

Just being there with our friends makes it a good call.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2009, 04:59:02 PM »
We just got back from the End of the road, nothing new to report  as far as racing conditions. While hanging around I saw Tom Evans teching bikes by himself so voluntered to help. So I spent the morning teching bikes, pretty neat, got to meet new people, help those that needed it. Jon/Slim pitched in also. When we ran out of bikes I headed in for lunch and a nap. :-D

Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

GTO48

« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2009, 07:13:00 PM »
Any new photo updates of salt conditions?  A few areas in the Salt Lake metropolitan area have gotten hit hard with rain just in the last hour.  Hopefully it didn't hit the salt on its way here. 

I'll be heading out tomorrow afternoon hopefully. :)

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2009, 08:42:45 PM »
As of the end of today (Tuesday) -- here's what I know.

There will be more inspecting tomorrow, Wednesday, with the hope that the salt will continue to improve and will be ready for racing by Thursday.  The "short course" and 130 Club courses are pretty dry now -- might be good enough for racing -- but the pits are still a bit too wet for setting up, and the access road is still pretty watery.  The "long course" (I put those in quotes because USFRA normally runs one physical course with two end-points -- the 3 mile, for the short course folks, and the five mile, for the long course).  I don't know if when the say short and long -- if they're talking about the usual USFRA manner of setting up or the SCTA/BNI way of doing things.  Therefore I offer that caveat.

So -- we were told that there's not much reason to show up before noon tomorrow, at which time we'll have better information on whether there's going to be racing on Thursday.  Maybe it'll be good enough tomorrow after lunch for them to let us out onto the Salt to set up pits.

I've heard - somewhat unofficially -- that Mike Cook has offered to "give up" his Sunday for the Shootout so WoS can run Sunday - instead of ending Saturday.

I'll do some speculating about the Shootout -- whether it'll be able to go on, what with the poor conditions and the lack of a long course -- or whether it'll get postponed to the "rain date" of the week following World Finals.  But I'll speculate about that stuff over on the Shootout thread.

I took some photos today, of course, but will put them up here later.  They're not many -- no easy way to wander through pits, so I had to wait for racers to have their vehicles out of the trailer so I could get a shot, and they got put back away pretty soon -- so I could get only a few at a time.

Later - -
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2009, 09:38:30 PM »
I just put about 2 dozen photos on Photobucket.  Before I transfer them all to here -- would someone please follow this link to see if I can just send you to the photobucket site so you can see 'em -- or do I have to put each one here, one at a time?

http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/ii147/SeldomSeenSlim/World%20of%20Speed%202009/

Put up a reply to this post and say what you learn -- I'll go have a salad and check back.  It's the World of Speed 2009 album you're looking for -- I think the URL I've given you goes right to there.

Thanks
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2009, 09:45:13 PM »
My preference is to put 'em on here:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2009, 09:49:29 PM »
I got to your pictures on Photo bucket with no problem following your link!         Crow.
The Earth, is an intergalactic insane asylum.!

Offline salt27

« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2009, 09:55:46 PM »
Jon,
It worked fine for me.

Don

P.S., If you get a chance could you stop by CarQuest and check grill dimensions.
Thanks

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2009, 10:08:24 PM »
I couldn't get there -- but that's not unusual.

Stan

(Good to see  Roy's coupe on the site.)
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: September 15, 2009, 10:15:08 PM »
Thanks.  Yes, I know I can put them on this post/thread -- but for the sake of time I didn't put up the individuals.  Maybe tomorrow morning when there's nothing else to do.

I've run into a new hassle with my camera and therefore posting photos directly (not via Photobucket).  The camera's electronics generate a sequential file number for each image, and that number resets to 001 each time I put in a new data card.  And so I've had a good number of #001 and so on -- and the software in the Forum will reject a photo attachment that has a file number that's been posted in the past.  We're looking for a work-around -- but for now I've got to hope the photo numnber has not been used previously -- or have to go through a photobucket-type site.

So I'll put the photos on the Forum later.  Just making sure that if I did what I did -- that you could see 'em.  As for Roy's car -- it's been here, like many places, many times -- but it's nice looking.  He's here with the car, too.  Even the boss (of the organization) still races, you know.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #71 on: September 15, 2009, 10:17:51 PM »
He's racing there 'cause he's not the boss (there).

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #72 on: September 15, 2009, 10:54:53 PM »
The camera's electronics generate a sequential file number for each image, and that number resets to 001 each time I put in a new data card.  And so I've had a good number of #001 and so on -- and the software in the Forum will reject a photo attachment that has a file number that's been posted in the past.  We're looking for a work-around -- but for now I've got to hope the photo numnber has not been used previously -- or have to go through a photobucket-type site.

Check the owners manual or the settings options on the camera, some cameras have an option you can set where they will either number sequentially resetting every time you put in a new memory card, or continuously increment the same number series. You can also put your camera memory card in a card reader and re-name the files with a laptop, just like any other file name. They make very affordable memory card readers that will treat any memory card that you are likely to find like a USB flash drive on your lap top. I never download my image files directly from the camera any more, but pull the memory chip and put it in the reader and plug it in the USB port of the laptop. Much more flexible and also faster as you can down load the images with any software that can read files off a flash drive.

I frequently re-name the file by adding a short descriptive term in front of the number, or simply add a letter after the number if there is a conflict (that gives you 26 options) and you can still have the imbedded image number so you can find the original image file at a later time.

DSC_001 might end up being DSC_001a or DSC_coolcar_001 etc.

Yes Slim your link works for me, brings up a page will all the images and the links below.

Direct links should work as below (testing) by enclosing them in {img} {/img} tags with square brackets

Larry
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 11:02:55 PM by hotrod »

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #73 on: September 15, 2009, 11:14:35 PM »
Larry's right.  There's an option for continuous file numbering in your camera.

To get to it, press the Menu button, then select the Tools menu.  Use the up/down arrows to select the File Numbering option.  Select "Continuous."  Press Menu button to save your changes.

Purdy simple and it's the way I set my Canons up.  If I had to deal with IMG_0001 over and over again, I'd go nutz.  Hell, I have problems when it reaches 9999 and rolls over.  Plus the fact that the 40D creates a new folder for every 1000 images, but the 20D creates one (on the CF card) for every 100.  That messes with my mind.

Edit: The way I number my photos for salt flats events is to use the date in yyyymmdd format, then a sequence number, usually with an underscore in between: 20090915_0001.  This allows me to sort 'em sequentially and never run into a duplicate.  If I resize the image, I add an "r" with a shorthand code for the size: 20090915_0001r8.jpg means an 800x600 pixel image.  If it's for a print file, I use the dimensions plus the dpi value: 20090915_0001r8x10x200.jpg indicates an 8x10 inch print image at 200 dpi.  It just helps me to keep things organized. 

If I'm doing a car show or cruise nite, I change the format a bit by naming the folder with the date and then using the year and make plus a sequence number for the photo: 1932 Ford 01 0001r8.jpg.  I use the 01 to differentiate between Deuces if there's more than one at the show. 

Again, these are the conventions I've come up with over years of doin this stuff.  There are a whole buncha ways as Larry indicated.

hth,
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 11:26:13 PM by RayTheRat »

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
« Reply #74 on: September 15, 2009, 11:16:15 PM »
 :?  hth  ?  must be late in the day huh Ray?
The Earth, is an intergalactic insane asylum.!