Author Topic: World off Speed results 2009  (Read 132832 times)

Re: World off Speed results 2009
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2009, 05:13:02 PM »
i was out there for the weekend setting up. had to return to home for work tell tuesday. hope my tent isnt gone from all that wind. i will return tuesday evening. see you at the salt.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2009, 05:38:45 PM »
Jon: got any updates?  There's a mattress in my living room that doesn't know where it's supposed to go!

Edit:  Maybe I otta explain that.  Attached is a photo of the mattress for the back of my Suburban.  It's also the one Pork Pie's been sleeping on.  But he's just now decided to head for Wendover.  So the mattress is in the Burb and I'll be heading out tomorrow.  Confused?  Me, too.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 06:09:54 PM by RayTheRat »

Offline Scott

« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2009, 05:46:52 PM »
Weather is improving in Ely going to broken conditions to the south. Heavy rain this morning. Most weather was tracking Ely towards Wendover.          SB
push truck driver

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2009, 11:07:44 PM »
It's about bedtime -- here's today's last update from us.

It's mellow out there right now, and partly cloudy.  The weather forecast still has a 50% chance of rain tonight and 40% tomorrow.

If you haven't already seen it -- go to www.saltflats.com, the USFRA site, and you'll find their announcement that there will be a decision about whther the event will be cancelled or not -- tomorrow at 10AM.  I've heard here that there'll be inspecting on the pavement at Land's End starting first thing in the morning -- in case we're going to race.  I've received no calls from USFRA folks to give me any information on the event so I can't report anything "more official" than what I've already said.

We went to supper with Todd Dross and when we got out of the Stateline it was too dark to see much -- so we didn't go out to Land's End for a last look for you.

Ed Van Scoy and Linda called from Ely a few hours ago -- still headed this way. 

It looks and sounds like most everyone has faith that there'll be an event -- they're all on the way here.  I haven't heard from anyone that has turned back.

That's all for now, folks.  See you in the morning.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Dakin Engineering

« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2009, 12:02:47 AM »
We're here hoping for hot dry air.
See you at the end of the road in the morning.

Sam
#6061/6062
Turbo Sportsters since '97

Offline joea

« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2009, 12:14:49 AM »
......you should be able to provide plenty of
"hot dry air"....in the am.........based on
what you had for dinner.....

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2009, 12:37:12 AM »
We stopped by Lake Bonneville on the way in, about 8pm, just before dark. I dont see any way there is going to be a raceable  :? surface any time in the near future. I know everyone says think positive, but there is also facing reality. I was at Lands End and there is standing water in every direction. I hope I am wrong, I came a long way just to turn around and go home. We will be hanging around waiting for a decision.

Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2009, 01:10:13 AM »
We stopped by Lake Bonneville on the way in, about 8pm, just before dark. I dont see any way there is going to be a raceable  :? surface any time in the near future. I know everyone says think positive, but there is also facing reality. I was at Lands End and there is standing water in every direction. I hope I am wrong, I came a long way just to turn around and go home. We will be hanging around waiting for a decision.

Fred
Fred - Do not lose hope......I hope everything works out so we can see what that bike of your has in it!!

Good luck,
Scott

Offline joea

« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2009, 01:11:16 AM »
......Fred.....we ran into......a lady walking her dog this evening in Wendover.....

her name is Karen Dixon.........she and her husband have lived in Wend. since the
mid 60's..........we happen to be standing in front of what once was a drive in eatery..
that they owned........she shared a first hand Burt Monroe story........

my week is already filled with a valuable memory....

.....as close as we think we are to actually going fast....and the incomprehensible alure
of real speed.......and the passion poured into it....i also know its the stuff that
happens around folks of lsr that lends itself to invaluable experiences.......

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2009, 06:20:17 AM »
You are right Joe, there is more to LSR than racing. :-P We are waiting for friends to arrive and to meet the guys on the other team of Larry Forstall, the original I might add. We are hopeing to race but if not we will make the best of it.

Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline mkilger

« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2009, 10:15:43 AM »
must have been a late night for Slim, getup your killing me, were's my photo. 500 posts  :cheers:

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2009, 10:23:34 AM »
I'm told it's at least sunny out there today. That doesn't mean much for how wet the salt is but at least it's not getting wetter!  :-D
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2009, 12:03:11 PM »
Okay, boys and girls, here's the latest -- from Monte Widdison, the starter, just about five minutes ago:

We won't race tomorrow (Wednesday), but we sure might race on Thursday.  There's a bit of dry salt right now -- enough to racer on, sorta, so that's good.  We'll inspect here at Land's End today and tomorrow, and then be ready if the weather remains good, the salt dries well, and there's anyone that's interested in racing on Thursday.

Monte said I was allowed to tell you all of this -- so I guess that means it's pretty official.

I'll click and post some more.

So, going on -- there's more water visible from Land's End today than when we left here yesterday mid-day.  Vehicles driving on the access road are making a bow wave and leaving a wake -- and yesterday it wasn't nearly that deep.  This means, I guess that the rain has drained down from the mountains and onto the Salt.  No surprise there.  Let's see if it goes away fast now.  And since Monte said that there's some good (enough to race upon) salt out there now -- we'll be able to get a good race course if the weather remains in a drying mood.

It's partly cloudy right now, with a gentle ESE wind blowing some clouds towards us.  The wind is blowing, in othjer words, towards the mountains to the left of the racing course area.  I haven't checked the weather forecast in a few hours -- don't know where the rain is right now -- but it's still a 50% chance of showers today, 40% tonight.

I expect we'll get the paperwork filled out and be ready for inspection, for sure.  Maybe we'll get the bike inspected just in case we do run -- probably get the inspection done today (if we can do so).  Then either we'll be ready to run -- or we'll have a nice souvenir page in the log book.

Click and continue.

There are a few options for Todd, Nancy, and me, but the best one (well, best in meaning we'll race) nis that the race will be called off in the next few minutes.  If that happens (I doubt it -- they're saying no decision 'til tomorrow, remember), we'd hurry and pack and hit the road and drive like the dickens to Maxton for this weekend.  We could make it if we had Todd ride with us and share the driving -- it's only 2350 miles or so.

Whew.  I'm tired.  I'll post more once I hear more.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 12:09:34 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline sabat

« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2009, 12:37:13 PM »
Good luck folks, hope the salt dries up and you can race. Not that I don't want to see you at Maxton Jon, but becasue I want to hear about Steve Knecum on the Forstall bike. And everyone else of course.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2009, 12:48:06 PM »
I just got a call from SSS (Jon) who said that some vehicle inspection is taking place at Land's End although that location may be "abandoned" and further tech done "at the hotel" although he wasn't sure which one. 

Apparently things are looking better rather than worse and the tentative plan is to continue tech on Wednesday, then race on Thursday.

Ohh...and I need to remember to bring the tomatoes that Texican prepared for him and were left behind by Pork Pie.  (Real hot news scoop, huh?)

My plans for the moment are to take a nap, replace the brake pads in the Burb, then head out tomorrow morning...assuming that nothing changes drastically while I'm napping.  :)