Author Topic: Your Bonneville Story... Tell it here  (Read 6953 times)

Offline Bville701

Your Bonneville Story... Tell it here
« on: September 09, 2009, 09:45:59 PM »
OK, This year was the year that I got to make my first trip down the salt, what an experience. My brother had been driving our car previously and spun it out at about 240 or so. The spin caused some body panels to bend and rip of the car. I now thought that I didn't have a chance of driving this year, but with the help of my brother (Kevin), my Dad (Mike), and many of our great friends we were able to get the car back together. Once the car was back together I got in it to take my first ride down the salt. I have to admit that I was a bit nervous to get in a car that had just spun, but I had faith that the "crew" and my friends did a good job at repairing our car. I made it down the course and pulled the parachute at the 3 on the special course. My brother was there to meet me when I stopped, and pounded on the car with excitment yelling " You just went 142 MPH." It was fun and very exciting!!! My second pass was for 173 MPH. That run was even more exciting!!! Getting ready to make my third run, there was a lightning strike. So, I had to wait 15 minutes or so before I could run. Finally after the clocks were reset I was pushed off. I tried to put the car in gear, but it wouldn't go anywhere. So, I pulled off the course. It turns out that we ran out of air for our air shifted transmission. Bummer. I still had the absolute best time ever making those runs down the salt, and the best part was knowing that my friends and family helped to get me to do it and also knowing that one of my heroes (Glen Barrett) was calling my times and looking out for me as he does for everyone.

In the future I would like to turbo charge the car and "someday" go 300 MPH, but before we do that we will have to change a few things. I'm not the tallest person in the world, but at 6'3" it makes it difficult for me to drive. So, we will have to change a few things on our car before I even think of driving 300+ MPH. That is my current dream for myself, but in the meantime I want to focus on my brother getting into the "Dirty 2 Club."

So, there's my 2 cents about my first ride down the salt. This was something that I've wanted to do since I was 6 years old. Thanks to everyone who helped me accomplish my dream.      :cheers:

« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 10:14:00 PM by Stainless1 »
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Offline Bville701

Re: Your Bonneville Story... Tell it here
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 11:36:16 PM »
Thanks for moving it here Stainless.     :cheers:
Ryan LeFevers

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 11:43:11 PM »
Great story Ryan. Good luck in the future. You'll get there.

Pete

Offline Bville701

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 11:52:24 PM »
Thanks Pete. Lets hear your story?     :cheers:
Ryan LeFevers

Offline Freud

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 12:07:30 AM »
Ryan, it was my privilege to meet your family while the car was in line.

I was at the Kilo Klub when the car spun and I thought, "D a m n, and they just haven't had that many runs."

It didn't matter, You only had 2 passes but you only needed two.

Good Job.

Thanks Dad and Bro for letting the "kid" go.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 12:55:41 AM »
Dammmm, you should have come by our pits we have an extra co2 bottle just in case we run out.  You guys could have used it. :cheers:

Offline michael lueders

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 01:34:50 AM »
One of my highlights of mine and at the very top of my daughters memories of her first Speedweek was hanging out in the LeFevers' pit watching another dad watch his kids figure out how to get a race car back on the salt.
;-)

Offline Bville701

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 01:14:30 AM »
Ryan, it was my privilege to meet your family while the car was in line.

I was at the Kilo Klub when the car spun and I thought, "D a m n, and they just haven't had that many runs."

It didn't matter, You only had 2 passes but you only needed two.

Good Job.

Thanks Dad and Bro for letting the "kid" go.

FREUD

Thanks Freud. It was our privilege as well.    :cheers:

Dammmm, you should have come by our pits we have an extra co2 bottle just in case we run out.  You guys could have used it. :cheers:

Thanks Troy, but it was Fri. and we had to get home. I will remember that for next time though.  :cheers:

One of my highlights of mine and at the very top of my daughters memories of her first Speedweek was hanging out in the LeFevers' pit watching another dad watch his kids figure out how to get a race car back on the salt.
;-)

We enjoyed having you guys at our pits.   :cheers:   Anyone and everyone is always welcome at the LeFevers' pit.
Ryan LeFevers

Offline fastesthonda_jim

• Ready to Rock 2003
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 10:48:31 AM »
Hey, Bville, and all y'all who run them CO2 pressurized accessories like shifters, parachute releases, Freud's "Right Now, Honey" blow up doll... you know, stuff like that, here's a leeetle "tip".  If your bottle is the kind where the top unscrews and leaves a 1/2" or so hole in the end, then your problem of where to get CO2 out on the salt is easily solved.  Head over to Smith's market at the west end of Wendover, and for a couple of bucks buy yourself some dry ice.  Put on some gloves and bust the DI up into chunks that will fit down through the hole in the bottle.  Now I've never 'sperimented with just how much I can add before the "blow off" puck lets go, :-o so I just cram about a 1/2" or so of DI into the bottle, screw the top back on, and Presto!  Enough gas to run an entire week of air shifter "events".

Throw what's left over into the Wine Cooler Punchbowl to provide a chilling fog, something we need more of on the salt.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 10:53:50 AM by fastesthonda_jim »
2006 SCTA High Points Champeen
2006 Dirty "2" Wrench Of The Year
Bonneville "2" Club 2003
El Mirage Dirty "2"'s 2006
Bonneville Records: G/GS, F/GS (Boy)  G/FS (Girl)
El Mirage Records: F/BFS, F/FS, F/GS, I/FS, I/GS, K/BGS
FIA Records A, II, 8
Unlimited License
300mph line qualified (305.129 best mile speed)
The older half of San Diego's Fastest Couple
2016 Man of Distinction Award
DLRA 2019 Top Speed of The Meet (309.438 Mile - 323.3 GPS)

Offline 754

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 12:26:25 PM »
If you have some dry ice left in the evening, take it to Bend in the road..
 put about a tablespoon of it in a 2 liter (big ) plastic pop bottle, then add a 1/2 cup of water, screw the cap on tight and stand back 20 feet or more.. :evil:

..or better put it behind your buddies RV.... :-D

Offline jl222

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 02:35:42 PM »
Hey, Bville, and all y'all who run them CO2 pressurized accessories like shifters, parachute releases, Freud's "Right Now, Honey" blow up doll... you know, stuff like that, here's a leeetle "tip".  If your bottle is the kind where the top unscrews and leaves a 1/2" or so hole in the end, then your problem of where to get CO2 out on the salt is easily solved.  Head over to Smith's market at the west end of Wendover, and for a couple of bucks buy yourself some dry ice.  Put on some gloves and bust the DI up into chunks that will fit down through the hole in the bottle.  Now I've never 'sperimented with just how much I can add before the "blow off" puck lets go, :-o so I just cram about a 1/2" or so of DI into the bottle, screw the top back on, and Presto!  Enough gas to run an entire week of air shifter "events".

Throw what's left over into the Wine Cooler Punchbowl to provide a chilling fog, something we need more of on the salt.

Thanks FHJ thats a great tip.

JL222 :cheers:

Offline Bville701

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 11:27:52 PM »

Wow!!!  I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip.      :cheers:

OK fellas, come on now I know I'm not the only one with a story...
Ryan LeFevers

Offline peglegcraig

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 11:29:40 PM »
First trip was 06, new/used outfit with some B'ville mods. We had the batt go flat, found the problem. Made some runs and slowly went faster (I like that line). We fought overheating problems the whole way, boiled the water out of the engine every pass. I was near the minimum for an AMA record, so with the help of the AMA steward and a few $ entry to BUB I ran and achieved a record. I realize how lucky I was now, 4  years on. I decided to reconfigure the chassis of the bike and become a true streamliner, Kent R and Dusty got me started with a good design and fabed up the chassis. Back home and the plumbing,wiring and all the rest began. I never knew a bike/Sidecar could be so complicated! Out to Bonneville to watch,learn and help if I could. Well I did help by towing Bob's trailer home when the old Boogie Van developed a electrical gremlin. Another year goes by and I'm still not ready, people are wondering what the H I'm doing. The bike was fast and I took it apart :roll: I go back to BUB and make lame excuses, watch and learn try to help. I saw Cliff's accident and was in shock. Back home, I went to an Off Road car builder and we built the strongest cage we could figure. In the meantime I was looking for a canopy again after having the first one split in half handling it in the shop. One way or the other we went forward and with a lot of networking got a workable canopy. Two weeks before Bub I was really busy but confident, thanks to a few friends who contributed a bunch of their spare time I got ready to load up and go 1 day early! Thanks to Richard, Harold and Leif. Once at BUB we had the bad news, the fire wall was to thin, .065 vs .125. But we could run Run Whatcha Brung short course, testing is good.
 My new SA helmet didn't fit so good in the rollcage, I had very limited forward visibility. Off with the canopy and run it open, it's testing right?! First run the outfit ran good and was more stable at speed, the parachute worked perfect and we didn't overheat. We had some doubts as to how to repack the chute and Mr. Ack stopped into our pit to give us a class in chute care 101, Thanks Mike!  :cheers:The next day the shifter gave up in the pit :-P, no gears no go. Larry C. went out looking for help and Mr & Mrs. Pingle stopped in to lend a hand. They had the parts to fix the shifter and save my week, God bless them!  :cheers:Off to the start line and another good run but a very long wait in the sun after another bike had problems in front of me and we waited while he pushed off the course, I can only guess how hot and sweaty that poor fellow was. Another good run, but missed the 1st to 2nd shift, a bit faster, but not good. I pulled the chute sooner and got a feel for how much it slows the outfit, impressive! Bob Stroud knows his business. On Thursday we went out and had a better run and went 158mph. I pulled the chute right after the 3 and whoowee, it did slow down! The engine never overheated and it was quite warm every day. Thanks you to all who stopped by our pit and offered help and good wishes. While it was not a perfect week it was a great week, thanks to our friends on the salt. I'm back home and ready to fix the small problems before Oct. at Elmo. I can't wait to get some more time at speed before getting a chance to set a record or two. Peg Leg Craig

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 12:09:28 AM »
Thanks Craig and congratulations on your perseverance.

Pete

Offline Bville701

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 08:47:00 PM »
Great story Craig.    :cheers:   See you at Elmo.
Ryan LeFevers