Author Topic: BUB Updates  (Read 167870 times)

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
Re: BUB Updates
« Reply #555 on: September 03, 2009, 05:54:03 PM »
And there is NOTHING wrong with fast ladies.   :cheers:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline k21john

• New folks
    • Chris Chapman Racing
« Reply #556 on: September 03, 2009, 05:54:53 PM »
I would just like to say a huge thankyou to everyone especially John & Nancy, the last few days have been a fantastic intro to the world of LSW, this forum really swings and is the best I've had the pleasure of being part of,  :-D :-D :-D

I think I need a new keyboard as the refresh button has been worn away......

I am hoping to be out there with you guys next year if nothing else I'll bring my video camera, talking of video Slim if I can help with getting you set up in anyway just PM me, I've got some reasonable server space and bandwidth available here in the UK.

I am doing a piece on Tom Mellor for my web site and also for the Trident & Rocket 3 Owners Club mag covering Tom and his Triumph however if anyone has any info on other Trident or early Rocket 3s bike down at BUB I would love to hear about your / their exploits.......

I have put a link to landracing.com again on our site as a thank you for the reports on this forum......

So finally from the converted one from across the pond CHEERS to one and all and I'm already looking forward to refreshing the putor all over again for the shoot out.......

New keyboard $20

Time lost at work $1000

Spending time on this forum PRICELESS

Good luck in all your quests............

John Mitchell
England
chrischapmanracing.co.uk
 :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-P :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :cheers: :-o
It's a Triple thing........ We race a 72 Rob North in the UK - www.chrischapmanracing.co.uk

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #557 on: September 03, 2009, 06:10:03 PM »
We're heading back to the apartment.  I've got the run logs, but they're delivered from the Rice Bros. 'puter in  a format that my iMac doesn't recognize, so, as usual, I shipped 'em to Bob the Web Elf for farklization.  He'll post 'em.  Sure has been fun for me at this event.

I've got one big issue with which we all (both you folks and Nancy and I) must come to an understaning upon, and that's how to follow up this coverage at World of Speed -- when we'll be racing a bike as well as reporting.  You weren't too happy with what I made available on this site at SpeedWeek -- so I'll try to work harder to give yoiu what you want -- within reason, 'cause first and foremost -- we're trying to get Nancy up over 200, maybe even to that magic 205 minimum for the Bonneville 200 MPH Club.  Priorities!

Best regards from Nancy and me.  We'll be on vacation for the next week and a half.  We'll have the 'puter with us so we can be in touch, of course.  Let me know if there's something I can do for you.

TTFN
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline mkilger

« Reply #558 on: September 03, 2009, 06:16:00 PM »
vacation, thats funny Jon, sometime you just dont know when to stop. :wink:

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
« Reply #559 on: September 03, 2009, 06:33:49 PM »
 :cheers:  Thanks again, and have one for me in Luckinbach   Crow.
The Earth, is an intergalactic insane asylum.!

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #560 on: September 03, 2009, 06:40:54 PM »
We're heading back to the apartment.

You mean that old dirty tent in the middle of the hillside parking lot?

first and foremost -- we're trying to get Nancy up over 200, maybe even to that magic 205 minimum for the Bonneville 200 MPH Club.  Priorities!
:cheers: to priorities  :-D

Best regards from Nancy and me.  We'll be on vacation for the next week and a half.  We'll have the 'puter with us so we can be in touch, of course.  Let me know if there's something I can do for you.
TTFN
Keep Nanc hydrated, fed and plenty of muscle loosening massages as necessary. Oh, and have her practice tucking... TUCKING i said!

Get some sleep, hope the rocks don't come through the sleeping bags too bad and it doens't rain due to the leaky roof and all.

Drive safe now,
Todd

Offline hayaboosta

« Reply #561 on: September 03, 2009, 06:41:37 PM »
We had a fun week, had a great time, met new friends, some from continents away and learned more of what was happening ON the salt via Seldom Seen Slim and the net then we did physically being on the salt.  Thanks again Jon and Nancy!

Too late for a record but certainly worth mentioning, Andy Sills ran the Dallas Honda production Honda CBR 1000 to a 199 and change measured mile!

Way to go John Dobbs with AMA and FIM 1350 A-BG 200+ mph naked record and Leslies 234mph AMA record and fast time of the meet. :cheers:

It sucks I had to leave early today and miss the banquet.  Congrats to all and thanks for a safe event.
200 MPH Club X 7
Bonneville  "Naked"
 El Mirage    "Naked"
  Maxton       "Naked"
   Mojave        "Naked"
    Loring          "Naked"
     Bub 201       "Naked"
      Texas           "Clothed" (by accident)

Offline sabat

« Reply #562 on: September 03, 2009, 07:12:59 PM »
Congrats Scott, nice job tuning that bike.  :cheers:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #563 on: September 03, 2009, 08:14:05 PM »
Todd:

Back to Sam Wheeler's cooling water system that failed:  It's indeed a total loss arrangement.  There's a tank in the rear of the bike that feeds the pump, which moves water to a set of six spray heads that shower on the radiator for improved cooling there.  The water is also sprayed onto the chain for cooling.  And the waste/used water is dumped into the exhaust pipe to a: dispose of it, and b: cool the exhaust stream.  At speed I imagine it is all vaporized -- but from a test run in their pit the tarp on the ground was quite wet from it.

TTFN - Gotta go practice tucking.  I said TEE-ewe-sea-kay-eye-en-gee.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline desotoman

« Reply #564 on: September 03, 2009, 08:22:41 PM »

TTFN - Gotta go practice tucking.  I said TEE-ewe-sea-kay-eye-en-gee.

SSS,

Which one of the following are you talking about?  :?

tuck - eatables (especially sweets)
tuck - fit snugly into; "insert your ticket into the slot"; "tuck your shirttail in"
tuck - (sports) a bodily position adopted in some sports (such as diving or skiing) in which the knees are bent and the thighs are drawn close to the chest
make a tuck or several folds in; "tuck the fabric"; "tuck in the sheet"
tuck - a narrow flattened pleat or fold that is stitched in place
tuck - gather: draw together into folds or puckers
tuck - rapier: a straight sword with a narrow blade and two edges

Tom G.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 08:28:53 PM by desotoman »
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #565 on: September 03, 2009, 08:24:40 PM »
Tom, got a bit of spare time on your hands, hey?  You're darned quick with all of those definitions.

I won't tell you in this public forum just which of 'em I mean. PM me for the truth - if you dare!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline desotoman

« Reply #566 on: September 03, 2009, 08:25:02 PM »
If I had to guess it would be the first one listed.  :-D   Like chocolate, or cheese and crackers with a nice Merlot.

Tom G.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 08:33:34 PM by desotoman »
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline bobc

• Administrator
    • South Mt. Web Design
« Reply #567 on: September 03, 2009, 11:39:33 PM »
Hey, this has been great!     :-D

Here are the last Run Logs, pdf first.....
Web Elf

Offline bobc

• Administrator
    • South Mt. Web Design
« Reply #568 on: September 03, 2009, 11:41:14 PM »
Now the XLS
Web Elf

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #569 on: September 04, 2009, 12:04:08 AM »
I got home a while ago and I've been wading thru hundreds of emails, moving files from my laptop to my main computer and then reading this thread.  Whew!  I'm ready for bed already!

I wanna start off by stating that this was my first BUB meet and that I really don't know a lot about bikes, although I just had a rather intensive training course.  Last time I owned a bike, I was stationed at Ft. Bliss, Tx.  That was 1967.  Been a while.  However, I really appreciate the offer Jon made to have me shoot some photos while he was covering other things.  It gave me a great sense of purpose and a great deal of pride in my work and satisfaction to get some shots that...well, some of 'em took a lot of effort to get to and fro, so to speak.  But it was all very rewarding.

Then there was the frustrating part.  I had zero web access all the time I was there.  Well, this is gonna get fixed.  For WoS, it's my goal to have a cellular modem setup like Jon has.  I think this will help a great deal, since Jon and Nancy will be racing and I'll be able to report on their progress as well as other stuff while they're busy.  Probably not as well as Jon, but have you ever watched that dude type?  I swear I saw smoke comin from the keyboard.  In any case, I should be able to overcome a somewhat awkward process:  I'd go shoot a coupla hundred photos, choose the "pick of the litter" then edit 'em (which is really frustrating on a laptop with sun and glare etc.  My eyes aren't what they used to be and I'd have to cover the windshield and side windows...and then I roasted) and when I got 'em done, I'd have to find Jon or he'd find me and I'd give him a USB thumb drive with the edited shots.  Then he could put 'em in the photo gallery, and then I'd wander off to find more stuff to photograph and we'd repeat the process. 

So.  I'm gonna branch out a little so I can post my shots to the thread or to my server and add a link...or something so that the delay between the action and the photos getting there is minimized.  I'll also be on more familiar territory at WoS where I can at least read the class abbreviations.  I only found out a coupla days ago about the pushrod classes for bikes.  Like I said, it was an intensive OJT session.

Having said that, I really enjoyed myself.  I was a bit concerned, cuz I'd had some mystery infection that had me pretty miserable the previous week...but I wasn't gonna let that keep me from the salt and the cameras.  As it turned out, the antibiotics I'd been taking seemed to have things pretty well under control and the only thing I suffered from was my normal shortness of breath (for those who don't know, I have some pretty serious cardiovascular issues...but the handicapped tag in my window sure comes in handy when looking for a parking place. <G>)  I camped up on the flats above the Bend in the Road where the "peace and quiet" folks tend to hang out.  Crow and Texican know what I'm talkin about.  That was just fine.  It got a little warm the last coupla days, but hell, it's the salt flats!  What would I expect?

I'm gonna post one photo here and then try to get the shots on my own web server: http://www.chevyasylum.com/lsr/bsf2009/Welcome.html  I only have a day to do it, so I may have do an abbreviated version, but I'll get something on there.  I'll be shooting the Vintage Cycle Fest at Miller's.  I had the credentialing email in my in box when I got home, so I hope to have some nice shots of those nuts on the sidehacks.  Last year was really something: http://www.chevyasylum.com/racing/racing2008/20080907/02_sidecar/sidecar.html  I've got a bit better long lens (Canon 100-400 L Series) and should be able to get some closer, sharper photos from that one.

Anyway the shot I'm posting is (so far) my favorite.  It's Sam Wheeler and Chris Carr shaking hands and wishing one another well before Sam's run.  It seemed to capture the whole spirit of the meet, with petty disagreements set aside and true sportsmanship and competition displayed.  After that, I'm gonna get a night's sleep and try to get some photos on the server before I go shoot another event and get farther behind.

Thanks to all of the wonderful people that I met there who really made it a wonderful experience.  Just for the heck of it, many of my shots are in the Gallery: http://www.landracing.com/gallery/  Ok...I'm gettin goofy from fatigue (ya couldn't tell, could ya?) so I better get some rest.