Author Topic: Teague liner up for auction  (Read 9400 times)

Offline mkilger

Re: Teague liner up for auction
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 11:10:36 AM »
Well we will have to see, its just not me I have a (buddy) thats going with me too :wink:

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 11:19:01 AM »
Whatever it goes for it will probably never be worth a penny less as a piece of history

Offline Larry C

• Global Moderator
  • Real sidecars have passengers
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2009, 12:13:03 PM »
It seems to me that liners like Teaque, Burkland, White, are from a different era. Kind of the last of the truely garage built, perfected step by step type of cars. Teaque started with a motorcycle liner body and developed the car over time, that sort of thing. Now cars are designed on computers and come off the trailer mostly perfected and ready to run. The garage aspect of Bonneville is one of the most interesting aspects of the sport and might be dimminshing a bit in the top of the field. Love the old cars!!

Offline Wester

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2009, 12:27:28 PM »
Tom Burkland spent 1500 hours on the computer before they bought a single piece to build the 411 car.  Flatfire is more of a garage built car than their liner.

Offline mkilger

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2009, 12:39:53 PM »
Flatfire is far from Garage built its one of the most hi tech cars on the salt, if you have to pay somone to build it for you,its not garage built.

Offline Wester

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2009, 02:14:05 PM »
Not arguing the fact, just saying that Burkland's 411 has as much or more computer time in design as Seth Hammond's new lakester.  If you spend any time with Tom you find out just how sophisticated that car is and the fact it was built in Montana doesn't mean it is necessarily a "garage built" piece.  As an additional example, their tire testing for their car has resulted in greater safety and tire availability for every fast car on the salt.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2009, 02:48:59 PM »
As an aside -- isn't the Flatfire car a different car than the one Poteet & Main ran this year?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline desotoman

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2009, 03:00:40 PM »
As an aside -- isn't the Flatfire car a different car than the one Poteet & Main ran this year?

Stan,

Body is different (improved) from Flatfire, but I was told the chassis is the same.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Larry C

• Global Moderator
  • Real sidecars have passengers
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2009, 03:16:29 PM »
The point of my post, regrdless of the examples, is that the garage built 400mph liner is a vehicle that probably will not be built again. That makes the Teaque car a remarkable piece.

Offline AJR192

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2009, 01:40:38 AM »
Man I am so torn about how I feel about Al's liner. On one hand I really miss seeing and better yet, hearing it on the salt. But on the other hand, I don't honestly think I would enjoy seeing it run by someone other than Al. It wouldn't be anywhere near the same experience. I guess it should be in the Smithsonian or the Henry Ford next to the Goldenrod. It was from a different time and was an evolution. But the end result is that will always be Al's car regardless of who actually holds title of ownership. I guess the reality of it is that I hope it never runs again unless Al is driving it.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2009, 06:19:24 AM »
There is a funny story about Al and his liner:

Around ten years ago I had to pick up a piston on the Salt Lake airport for our liner.

On the way back, close to the rest area near Wendover I heard in the radio that Al is on the run - the next I heard was this fantastic engine sound.
In this moment a driver in front of me drove his car to the side and stopped on the sideline - I couldn't see a reason, so I overtook him and stopped also on the sideline to give him a help, if he need, so far away from Wendover.

When I walked over to him, he jumped out of the car and cried "I broke my engine, I broke my engine..."

I asked what he meant.....he said "you didn't heard this noise..".......I looked to him and answered "Oh you mean the engine noise....This was Big Al there on the salt..."

His reaction which follows was real funny, his jaw dropped down to the road........"Big Al?????".  :roll:

The poor guy was so concentrate in driving his car that he not recognized the activities on the salt.

After I explained him what's going on, there out on the salt, he start his engine again and had a happy smile in his face which wider than his car......
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline roadster589

• GOD SPEED GARY
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2009, 07:45:03 AM »
This is a cool story for al of you al lovers. As I grew up on the salt al was my hero I think the world of him and his wife Jane. So I have seen him run every year every meet every day that he did sence I was about five as I got older I started rolling down on him to make sure everything was ok. I have been there to see all the records set and all the parts brake. I also got to pull him out of the car when it was on fire. Al always new how much I enjoyed the car and his hole team . So any how the last time al ran the car was oct world finals 2002. With a two way average of 406 mph . When all was said and done al walked over to me and gave me the blower belt of the car and he had singed it putting his down, return, and avg, speed on it. Now how many people can say that  :)
Mike cook jr

Offline Brian Westerdahl

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2009, 07:49:13 AM »
That is pretty darn cool I think.

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2009, 10:14:54 AM »
My birthday is Sept. 26.................If you want to chip in for a gift. ( Al`s  `liner, hint,hint) :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2009, 10:49:09 AM »
I have one too. Back in the 80's when we all waited in the same long lines Al was a few cars behind me doing some typical in line work. After they we done Al and Jane came walking up the line. He stopped to see how we were doing (Al had a soft spot in his heart for GMC's) The driver side back door was open in our crew cab and Al asked if he could sit down I said sure and my wife and I continued talking to Jane. We we looked in the truck Al had laid down and feel asleep. Jane thanked me being in the right place at the right time. She said working on the liner and keeping the peace with his crew just beat him up. Something I will never forget. . . . . . . . JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro