Author Topic: Salt Conditions  (Read 8998 times)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
AO SUNDAY 8-28
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2005, 11:30:35 AM »
There is an email floating around that reflects a trip by USFRA yesterday. A number of people from their organization did some test dragging and report on the extent of the water.
The report only speaks to the restoration of the alignment used for Speedweek that appears to be the best available for their event.
I forwarded a copy of it to this webmaster that might reprint it here.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

dwarner

Salt Conditions
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2005, 11:56:15 AM »
Last update to the Bub site re: course condition/prep was on Aug 18th. I would hope something more current will appear before people begin their travel to Wendover this week.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Now
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2005, 07:16:01 PM »
With over 1700 views , I suspect you will want to read the USFRA report on the link provided from this site.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline Larry C

• Global Moderator
  • Real sidecars have passengers
Salt Conditions
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2005, 11:50:30 PM »
[list=]A current, August 30,  salt condition report is on the BUB event website.[/list]

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Salt Conditions
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2005, 09:45:01 AM »
(From the Bub's site)

AUGUST 30th 2005
Our track prep team have been out on the salt all day today. The news is that we have at least 5 miles of solid smooth track. The first half of the long course is still a little wet. Though the wind was blowing the water, it was blowing it onto our course. They have seen signs of the salt drying while they have been out there today. WE ARE STILL PLANNING TO GO AHEAD. We will know a little more tomorrow so keep posted!

AUGUST 18th 2005
The Bonneville Salt Flats have recently experienced some summer storms and this has left some water on the surface of our race track. The wind is blowing in the right direction away from our course and we are looking forward to the event starting!

landracing

Salt Conditions
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2005, 07:28:09 PM »
Just talked with Sam Wheeler, he will not be making it to the BUB event due to length of course. Sam only have one tire left and saving it for best salt conditions and a lengthy course.

So all riders will only have a 2 mile approach to the measured mile. There is only ONE measured mile due to the FIM kilo and mile standards. Return run will be over same mile. Unless mother nature does some miracle in next few days looks as if a short course for the event.

Anyways my tentitive schedule for covering the event will be leaving at midnight on Saturday night or early early 3 am departure from Denver. Approx 9 hrs drive time. Got all my movies selected from the home library for the trip. That is why I like to travel at night can see laptop screen better while driving. Emails and message boards are fun too while driving. Getting better at typing with one hand.

Seems water is out there aways on the salt and I heard from 4 1/2 on is good course.

Jon

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
FIM
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2005, 10:24:29 PM »
The FIM as does the FIA requires the record be set with a 2 way average over the same certified mile.
It is often done by Bingham eng. from SLC.
While some of the other vehicle handling procedures and duration are different, that is the same.
The survey can pre-certify any other segment or allignment for use that might become available later in the event.
The important thing is also the continuous custody of those marks to insure accuracy.
The rules do not leave much room for error but it happens anyway.
2405 views as of this AM. Is that another new record ?

Offline firemanjim

Salt Conditions
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2005, 01:09:12 PM »
USFRA website and Bub's website have some salt updates. Sounds promising.
I am planning on WOS in a couple of weeks,anyone else?
Better look out,John,my Buell is making 180+ HP now.Gonna catch that Hayabusa yet,HAHA.
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

landracing

Salt Conditions
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2005, 02:54:43 PM »
Just heard from Denis, BUB meet is a GO.... Event is on.....

Jon