Author Topic: Salt Conditions  (Read 8999 times)

landracing

Salt Conditions
« on: July 20, 2005, 01:46:25 PM »
SCTA is reporting the following

News from our Advanced Recon Team :   The salt is hard and dry.  The Long and Short Courses have been surveyed and are in the process of being dragged.

Jon

landracing

Salt Conditions
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 01:52:43 PM »
Can anyone elaborate on the dragging process that they are using on the dragging of the courses.  I hear it makes a big difference on how it is done for the smoothest course.

Like the methods used.

I know they drag a platform behind them that is weighted down but that is it. Speeds they go?

Do they still use the Higbee method???

Jon

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
salt conditions
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 02:55:26 PM »
The dragging is the same each year. The drag is weighted as necessary, speed is about 15 mph and two beers per lap.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Salt Conditions
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005, 03:31:25 PM »
So let's do the math.  15 mph on a 7-mile long course =  about one hour/lap.  That's two beers/hour.  Three long courses @ 90-100 feet wide per course, using a drag that's 10 feet wide yields about thirty trips down the salt (and thirty back) for just one pass over each part of the salt.  Multiple runs for better course prep is common, I think, so let's (for the sake of this discussion) use two passes/10 feet.  So now we're up to 60 hours, 120 beers, multiple yellow spots.

Add in the turnouts -- one/mile in the three timed miles, and two/mile between 5 & 6 and 6 & 7 and more after that.  I get about nine of 'em, and let's guess one hour each.  Nine more hours, 18 more beers, more of those damn yellow spots (now not so yellow anymore!).

Return road and road to the timing tower:  Unh, hell, call it fifteen more miles for them, return road is wide enough to require a couple of passes of the drag.  These don't need quite so much preparation -- ten hours total?  20 more beers, couple more spots (which are growing bigger as the driver's aim gets worse).

Hey -- don't forget the short course.  Two courses, five dragged miles each, a return road, some turnouts -- hell, there's another ten hours/20 beers, and a few puddles.

Roads for getting from Land's End to the pits, the pits themselves, access to staging, staging/prestage -- what, maybe another ten hours/case of suds?

Do we have to allow time for the driver of the drag truck to visit his liver doctor?

Now we see why they volunteers are out at the Salt NOW preparing courses:  They've got to have time to sober up after this hazardous duty!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
Salt Conditions
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2005, 04:01:54 PM »
2 beers per lap! no wonder the entry went up, watch out were the Huskies go and dont you eat the yellow salt ...er i mean the yellow snow!
Kent

Offline RICK

Salt Conditions
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2005, 10:12:13 PM »
Don't be misled. If those are UNION draggers, they will interpret that as a 'two beer maxamum at any one time'.  So the total beer consumed may exceed your original guesstimate. And if its as HOT as it was today,,,,,they've earned em.
It's not over, it's just harder.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Mind the wind
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2005, 10:25:54 PM »
The yellow product that is produced is only in a spot if you waste the time to actually stop the truck.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline jimmy six

Salt Conditions
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2005, 11:32:51 PM »
Slim...A few less beers during this week as no additional roads or turnouts are done.
With the throttle pulled out and locked, all additional line marking (yellow) is done while the driver is on the running board. You check this on the return lap.
I consumed fewer beers when I was going up but Wes went on the trip so the same total amount was consumed.
Top speed of the event was checked by the GPS and a rental car....LOL
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline bbb

• Aerodynamically Challenged
  • JorNic Motorsports
    • JorNic Motorsports, Charlottesville, Va.
Salt Conditions
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2005, 02:10:38 PM »
Now we see why they volunteers are out at the Salt NOW preparing courses: They've got to have time to sober up after this hazardous duty!

they all have palpable livers by Speed Week I imagine too

landracing

Salt Conditions
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2005, 03:07:01 PM »
we dont need a black line this year, we can have a yellow one.

Jon

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Practice makes perfect
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2005, 03:30:22 PM »
Will it be long enough and straight enough ?
I guess it depends how how fast you go and the racers too.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Salt Conditions
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2005, 02:53:25 AM »
Any updates regarding conditions..?

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Interesting
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2005, 12:23:42 AM »
It is interesting that no more information was shown here for some time and an AUG 2 queation went unanswered.
With over a thousand views, it demonstrates some interest.
"The only thing worse than repeating an answer is repeating a question"
Now today as of 8-26 there are over 1300 views that say something and the answer still says nothing.
Perhap soon.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Interesting reading
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2005, 01:19:17 PM »
There is a quote from Creel through link to SCTA on this web site.

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Re: Interesting reading
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2005, 01:48:17 PM »
Quote from: JackD
There is a quote from Creel through link to SCTA on this web site.

Yeah I saw that too, still open..no definate yea or nay so better have em ready racers..