Author Topic: V4 Dodge  (Read 238290 times)

Offline mtkawboy

Re: V4 Dodge
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2010, 10:52:10 AM »
I like the way you color outside the lines, keep us posted !  :cheers:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2010, 01:28:24 PM »
What lines  :?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline RichFox

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2010, 01:51:32 PM »
I tried posting pictures of the jig. No luck. Something about upload thing being full. What I did was make a little thing with two plates separated by four stands. One on each corner. The top and bottom plates for the cone adapters bolt to these plates. That way they are held in place and pretty paraell. The length of the stands determines the height of the cone. So I cut out the top and bottom plates and bore them to the size of the Ford Throttle body + .125 for the top one and engine port size + .125 on the bottom one. The .125 is to allow for the .060 wall thickness of the sheet that makes the actual cone. So I made a templet out of paper that fit the assembly and cut out steel pieces to the templet. I also made an arbor with the Ford ID as its OD on one end and the port ID as the other end OD. Clamped the sheet to it and used a leather hammer to beat it around until I could start it into the plates on the jig. Tapped it down until the seam fit well tog eather. Stuck it there and removed it to finish. If you email me at V4GMR@yahoo.com I will send you the pictures this thing won't take.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2010, 04:20:19 PM »
You're right about the "upload" thingie.  I just was unable to load as small (70 kb) photo.  I'll get Bob on it pronto.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline jdincau

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2010, 06:29:14 PM »
Rich,
     Time for an update on the vintage Doge Bros. four project.
Jim in Palmdale
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline RichFox

« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2010, 07:37:37 PM »
Latest deal is to find that all the line boring and such put the crank centerline .032 closer (as best as I can measure) to the cam then the Bros. had in mind. So the new cam gear doesn't fit. I am now waiting on the gear cutter to make it smaller. The rings are much closer to the deck than I had in mind. Right now I think I'll run it. I am tired of "Do Overs" Besides, I'll always have time to do it over later, right?. Got all the internal oil lines done. Head is done. Gasket is done. I was going to work on the front cover and front of the pan when I tried putting the cam gear on. So that's the next big thing. and last I think. The blowshield is drilled for the Dodge.I need to make a rear seal holder. Buy a SBF flywheel. Put it in the car. Make headers.

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2010, 09:12:08 PM »
     Rich,
    Other than that, you're almost ready for Speed Week 2011. Keep posting, it'll make the Winter go faster for everybody.
  Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2010, 10:30:41 AM »
Pretty sweet setup!

Any more pics?
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Unkl Ian

« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2011, 11:42:40 PM »
Rich: How is the motor progressing ?  :?
I guess the answer is "a Secret" .

Offline RichFox

« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2011, 12:02:57 PM »
Recent picture with new front cover and stupid dampener I bought from Summit. .002 slip fit. Called Summit to complain. Tech? told me that a thousandth of an inch was very small and if it was within .005 I should be happy. What a moron. Anyway I now have new B&J dampener honed for proper press and am still waiting for cam drive gears. Finishing up the pan. Got the flywheel. Need rear seal mounts and lines for oil and fuel pumps. Slowely. Haven't been out in the shop this week. Did buy a new GMC van to replace my '92 Dodge. Anybody need a Cummins Dodge with 100800 miles. 5 speed tool box, exhaust brake, air bags and compressor in rear. push bar.

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2011, 03:24:22 PM »
And I had a lot of ideas for running a flathead. But I have it so I'm going to run it.

Looking good Rich!

Your engines are never mainstream, and always perform so awesome! I really dig the engines you choose.

How about enlightening us about your flathead ideas, mentioned above? I know someone who is all ears! :-D

Hope to see this on the salt this year
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline RichFox

« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2011, 04:57:14 PM »
It would have been pretty much along the lines of the Plymouth 4 except for the intake. And the bigger bore shorter stroke of the Dodge. But I never took much in the way of pictures of the Plymouth. People send me pictures of it in the museum. But never apart.

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2011, 08:32:29 PM »
Sure wish you had pictures of the Plymouth/Y block head conversion.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2011, 09:01:38 PM »
Anybody need a Cummins Dodge with 100800 miles. 5 speed tool box, exhaust brake, air bags and compressor in rear. push bar.

You guys have really got it good over there.... a 5 speed tool-box?.... mine are all fixed ratio :roll:

Sorry Rich couldn't resist
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2011, 11:05:56 PM »
More from the museum