Author Topic: Motorcycle Rules Change Procedures  (Read 9171 times)

RODaly

Motorcycle Rules Change Procedures
« on: July 18, 2005, 12:47:38 PM »
To all Motorcycle Land Speed Racers,

Someone recently asked me about rule change procedures.  I thought it would be helpful to provide everyone with a written explanation of the process.  The following explanation should to ensure everyone?s understanding of the rule change process and the role of the Motorcycle Rules Conference at Bonneville, the Motorcycle Racer Advisory Committee (Advisory Committee), the Motorcycle Rules Committee (Rules Committee), and the SCTA Board.

The process begins when someone sends me a Rule Change Request Form (forms available at Tech trailer or from SCTA office).  The form asks for the proposed change and the reason for the change.  After reviewing the submitted form, I may ask the sender to provide additional information or documentation that supports the rationale for the change.  No rule changes will take place without submission of a Rule Change Request Form.

The Motorcycle Racer Advisory Committee is comprised of 13 racers from all viewpoints, including East & West Coasters and Midwesterners, old guys and new guys, fastest and slowest, and a couple of streamliner guys.  After conducting some initial research and processing, I will route most rule change proposals to the Advisory Committee for opinions.  Rule changes that will not be routed include general safety rules and SCTA/BNI procedural rules.  Based on the committee?s feedback, the proposed rule may be revised or completely rewritten, then reviewed again.  The proposed rule will then be submitted to the Rules Committee along with all of the comments received from the Advisory Committee.  

The Rules Committee consists of Tom Evans, myself and three or five other SCTA inspectors/officials.  This committee may take issues back to the Advisory Committee or seek additional comments.  Every proposed rule will be balloted by the Rules Committee.  Rules receiving a majority affirmative ballot will be recommended to the SCTA Board for approval.  In the SCTA organization, the Board has the final say on all rules.

Rule change requests will also be on the Motorcycle Rules Conference agenda at Bonneville to allow input from the BNI racers.  New rule change proposals introduced at the conference can be discussed, but the discussions will not replace the rule change process outlined above.  New rule change proposals must be submitted in writing no later than 45 days prior to the conference to allow time for processing and research.  This conference does not have the final say on rules.  Understandings reached or nods of agreement to points made by racers does not mean the rule change is approved, all rules must go through the approval process.

Normally, all rule changes for the next year?s rulebook will be finalized by November.  The final date to submit a Rule Change Request form is October 1st.  NOTE: Because time is short, any rule change requests received by Aug.1st will be considered this year if time permits? a more complex and involved rule change may not be considered due to lack of time to conduct the necessary review.  I currently have 5 outstanding rule change requests.

In summary, here is how the rule change process is going to work:

Motorcycle Rules Conference -- Comments and advises on proposed rule changes
M/C Racer Advisory Committee -- Reviews, suggests, and advises on proposed rule changes
M/C Rule Committee -- Ensures proposed rules meet SCTA safety requirements, standards, goals and objectives and are necessary and fair. Ballots every proposal and make recommendations to the SCTA Board
SCTA Board -- Approves and enacts rule changes

RODaly

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2005, 06:29:20 PM »
Scott,
     The Rules Change process as described in section 7.A.6 of the rulebook and the summary that I posted, both require that any rules to be discussed at the rule conference must be submitted in writing before the Bonneville meet.  In anticipation of the criticism you raised, I ammended the procedure with the following:  NOTE: Because time is short, any rule change requests received by Aug.1st will be considered this year if time permits? a more complex and involved rule change may not be considered due to lack of time to conduct the necessary review. I currently have 5 outstanding rule change requests.

landracing

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2005, 07:25:49 PM »
RoDaly,

First thanks for the outline, I and im sure "we" all appreciate you coming on here and posting.

As for Scott's criticism please excuse my Florida friend, (you know one of the east coast guys with a totally wrong zip code). Come on that was funny....

Seriously in the past few years Russ we were able to submit rules change request forms at the Bonneville Meeting and open them up to discussion during the meet. Then the next year we were not able to do that. They told us to submit the forms and the current meeting was only to discuss 'current' rules. Then again the following year we were told that it should be an open forum on the rules changes for open discussion. Now we have a 45 day prior.. Or you have given us until Aug 1 now. So you can see why we question it because every year, it changes.

Is it possible to have this rules meeting at night and not during the day of racing. Very few want to get out of the hot line they have been waiting in for 4-5 hours to come. We lose some valuable input. Also when the rules meeting takes place it is  next to impound and EVERY year when we are in discussion a car starts up and we have to stop for 1-5 minutes and wait until they shut the car down, happens every year...

A night meeting would be good. Any chance.. Do I need a rules change form for that???? If so what is your fax number...

Jon

Thanks again Russ for your postings and input, we love it and keep us informed which is what this site is for.....

RODaly

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2005, 09:03:28 PM »
Jon,
    Regarding the past meetings, well, I'm not going to look backwards each time that I try to improve and move these processes forward.  By putting my proposed changes out there, I'm trying to let everyone know, up front, how I will do things.                                                                 I agree on the nighttime meeting and I am looking for an appropriate site.  The SCTA does not have a budget for a meeting room at a hotel, but if someone has a good idea for a place that is off the salt and out of the wind, please let me know.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Motorcycle rules
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2005, 08:15:09 AM »
Russ:

Please fax or email me a rule change form.  I've got something I'd like to have entered into the chain of discussion.

906 249 5247 or jon@infodestruction.com

Thanks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline JimW

Rule Change Forms and Log
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2005, 10:09:51 AM »
Is it possible (please) to post the rules change form here?

Is there a log of the 'stage' at which a rule change request currently resides (just received, sent for comment, being revised, sent to comittee, send to board, approved/denied - and the like)?

Can we know what is currently 'in the works' - several here might have valuable input.

Thanks,
Jim.

landracing

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2005, 11:16:33 AM »
yes russ please email me the form and ill post and host it here on the website, we allwould like to see it and submit it to the SCTA.

I had talked with Tom Evans in past to let me know what rules requests have been made and we can post here on the site to get positive discussion on the topics....

Jon

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2005, 02:03:14 AM »
Russ please keep me informed of any changes in Motorcycle rules ..

quickturbo@aol.com

J

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
August first, is it lost, least or last ?
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2005, 10:40:06 AM »
It would seem the Ausust first deadline is deader than you might have hoped.
With promises come obligations to match.
A form available here would be a real demonstration of the desire to listen to the wishes of the racers.
The car guys seem to trust in the system they have, however the bikers seem to be another story.
Why is that ?
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline JimW

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2005, 08:02:42 AM »
Any movement on getting the form posted here?

Thanks,
Jim W.

bak189

motorycle rules
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2005, 03:25:54 PM »
Very interesting...regarding the M/C rules....My first M/C run at Bonneville was in 1954..I have been to Bonneville most if not all of the following years.  When Dale Martin was doing the motorcycles
Dale thought my input would be helpfull.....so I worked on the Advisory Com. Wink took over...I was out, with no "thank You" or go to Hell from BNI or the "new group"
So who are these M/C people besides Tom Evans (who does a great job)
that decide who and what runs in the motorcycle classes?

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Well the first of August is almost here.
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2005, 11:17:05 PM »
The only movement has been fromm the crickets. :roll:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2005, 11:52:15 PM »
Chirp chirp squeak squeak.... :D

<~~~~rubbing legs together... :P

Offline joea

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2005, 11:45:54 AM »
I tried many times to post it here, its not getting
through, I emailed Jon a copy
of a rules change form that I utilized.........

scta should also be able to furnish anyone with one........

dwarner

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2005, 01:02:24 PM »
Rules change form is available thru the SCTA/BNI office, page 1 of the 2005 rulebook.

Warner