Author Topic: Arizona to Speedweek  (Read 5663 times)

Offline Crosley

Re: Arizona to Speedweek
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2009, 11:50:49 PM »
I'm heading to my first Speedweek from Chandler/Phoenix, AZ on Friday morning (early) or maybe Thursday night bonsai to Las Vegas or Page, then finish the trip on Friday.  Anyone else got similar plans?

Be careful....  the salt is addictive .

:-D
Tony in AZ...

"If you find yourself in a ditch.... let up on the throttle"

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2009, 02:47:39 PM »
My wife calls it my SICK addiction!!!!!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline peglegcraig

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2009, 01:05:05 AM »
I have only been up the road a couple times, but I love road trips. The ride is a good one for sure. Last year I brought some friends from New Zealand up, they were awe struck by the distances. The bit (3hrs) to Vegas was the warm up. We stopped and fueled up in north Vegas. I told'um get food and drinks cause we won't see much for a while and we don't want/need to stop. Just out side of Ely they begged for a break and a walk around. Once we got to Wendover we settled in for some good days on the Salt. By friday they asked " what can we see on the way home?" I suggested the Grand Canyon...... :-D
 They loved it!

Offline Wester

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2009, 12:53:11 PM »
I may sound like a broken record but take HIGHWAY 12 between Torrey, UT and where it intersects with Highway 89 west of Bryce Canyon National Park.  Going either way it's a  incredible visual treat. 

Shot these pics last Monday.

Offline Wester

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2009, 12:54:50 PM »
That isn't snow in the last shot, it's hail and it was heavy enough to cause a slide off by a smaller SUV who was driving too fast.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2009, 01:01:53 PM »
Moving to Utah 5 years ago was a great move. There is so much beautiful country to see and neat places to visit. We try to take day trips as often as we can. We sold our 5th wheel last year but some day may buy another. Miss the road trips.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2009, 03:43:29 PM »
Wes is right about Scenic Byway 12.  Nancy and I have driven the length of it many times -- by car, on a bike, in the pickup, in summer and in the winter.  I've recommended it to hundreds of people.  It's often in a listing of the "10 best roads to drive before you die" type of listing.

Then there's not-so-scenic I-94 in North Dakota.  It's a good time to sleep (as long as someone is driving, that is).
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline MyRideisMe

• Can't wait for my first Speedweek
    • Hot Rod and Custom Car Community
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2009, 11:25:19 PM »
Hey Everyone, thanks for the great suggestions! Unfortunately, I lost my rider from Phoenix, so I'll be towing solo.  That means the quickest, easiest way for me. I'll stop in Vegas and stay the night with a friend on Thursday night, then head out early Friday to Wendover.

Really can't wait to see it! I heard 3 miles x 1/4 mile of pit area. WOW! (am I a salt rookie or what?!)
Pictures of all my cars including my 1927 Lakes Roadster Modified called, "Bonnie"

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2009, 11:01:59 AM »
Stop by and say hello to fellow Zoan  with  RATICAL  aka "The Beast"  (not too pretty but kinda fast)  AA Lakester crew===the red white and blue Lakester # 2211 or 2210 and BUFTEer the push truck :-D.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!