Author Topic: Arizona to Speedweek  (Read 5662 times)

Offline MyRideisMe

• Can't wait for my first Speedweek
    • Hot Rod and Custom Car Community
Arizona to Speedweek
« on: July 23, 2009, 11:34:22 AM »
I'm heading to my first Speedweek from Chandler/Phoenix, AZ on Friday morning (early) or maybe Thursday night bonsai to Las Vegas or Page, then finish the trip on Friday.  Anyone else got similar plans?

Also, what's the best way? Thru Page, AZ would seem to be more scenic, but up the 15 after Las Vegas may be faster? I'll be towing a trailer with my roadster on it. If anyone sees me on the road or on the salt, say hi!

Thanks to Dallas V, after the driver's meeting, I'll be cruising down the race course snapping pics and taking video like a MAD MAN!  I call her "Bonnie" short for you know what, so having her at Speedweek will be a home coming for what I tell everyone is a "lakes modified".  This is gonna be GREAT!!

Pictures of all my cars including my 1927 Lakes Roadster Modified called, "Bonnie"

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Arizona to Speedweek
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 02:31:37 PM »
Go through LV the cut off just north ov LV  toward ELY---take the shortcut ( Silver State race hwy)   not  through Caliente especially if its dark
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline MyRideisMe

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 03:23:22 PM »
Perfect! That's the info I was looking for.
pikesan
Pictures of all my cars including my 1927 Lakes Roadster Modified called, "Bonnie"

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 03:46:45 PM »
A little more info. 15 N to 93 N , Most every one stops at Ask Springs for a break at the gas station / food stop. I believe it's still a Texico. After that it's 5 miles to the 318 interchange, bare to the left and a short distance to the right. This will take you to 93 about 95 miles. Turn right to Ely. Watch speeds from Ely and past McGill speed traps and radar. When you get near the mountains going up to White horse pass watch out for Cows and Horses as it's open range. Coming down the other side to Wendover it's a long down hill.
Watch speeds in Wendover and going to the salt, More speed traps and radar. Have a good trip. See you on the salt.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 04:50:31 PM »
Yeah -- but  . . .   I still take the 93 thru Caliente once in a while.  The scenery's better.  Fun to stop at Major's Corner.  And the Devil's Postpile kinda park is worth the 1/4 mile off the road.  And must take the Pioche loop and stop at the old hotel for a cool one.  Pioche is a kick.  Everyone should go thru there at least once.

Many years ago we spent the night in Caliente on the way up.  The Nevada Home for Wayward Girls (since renamed) is on the north side of town.  We cruised around and cruised around and never found one.

Stan Back
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 04:57:57 PM »
Stan thats the way I go from St. George over to Pioche and up to Ely. etc. It's 100 miles shorter then going thru SLC. Good roads all  of the way. OH, and no traffic.

:cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 05:30:29 PM »
Good place to stop on 93 out of Vegas is a little town called, Alamo.  Nice people good food , clean motel and the Paranakat camp ground is near also.   
The Earth, is an intergalactic insane asylum.!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 05:38:31 PM »
My money's on Ash Springs.  Good food, nice people, easy in and out, shady place to sit and watch the race cars go by -- and who knows, maybe they'll get their s*hit together some year and reopen the campground across the highway.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline MyRideisMe

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 06:03:02 PM »
I need to bust out a good map!

I wonder if the trip there needs to be part of the book we're working on...

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 06:20:43 PM »
Absolutely, getting to bville is part of the experience.  Last year we lost a good 4 hours of sleep because of trailer tires.  We got into Wendover about 4am, and got to the speedway at 9.

Offline Bville701

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 10:26:00 PM »
Something "always" happens on the trip to or from Wendover.
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Offline MyRideisMe

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 11:31:29 AM »
Something "always" happens on the trip to or from Wendover.

I hope I fair as well as Mr. Munro (save for the piece of wood as a spare tire)... dude was 60-something and stopped for a "cuddle" on his way to Wendover!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 01:26:23 PM »
 07 trip including getting acquainted with some MUSTANGS---that Glen mentioned---not recomended!!!!!!!!!  :-P :-P
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009, 08:19:51 PM »
"I wonder if the trip there needs to be part of the book we're working on..."

I think it was the "Bonneville Wide Open" dvd that had a great montage of "getting to Bonneville" -- a collection of videos, played at super-high speed, taken from an in-car camera as they made the drive out there.  It was great -- and I'd highly recommend something like that in your video before the stuff shot on the Salt.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2009, 10:43:25 PM »
Afew years ago trhe Rice brothers taped their entire trip from So.Cal to the salt. It's a bitchen tape.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah