Author Topic: Arm Restraints Date ?  (Read 4244 times)

Offline Hooley

Arm Restraints Date ?
« on: July 22, 2009, 10:28:03 PM »
In the 09 Rule book it says that arm restraints with a manufacturer's
date of 2006 or later is required. My arm restraints are sewn on to the coat from Stroud Safety. There is a nylon flat piece that connects the arm with the seat belt like most all restraints do.  I asked about this and was told that they were in compliance with the rules. Can any body help me confirm this before We get to the Salt?  Thanks Hooley
"Just Glad To Be Here"

Offline Freud

Re: Arm Restraints Date ?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 11:17:04 PM »
Hooley, when he starts talking again, Sum will tell u whatever you want to hear.

Just let us know when he breaks his silence.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 12:20:43 AM »
Where is Sum these days? He can't still be out on the water, could he?? I for one, sure do miss him.

Sheri Buchta

Offline hitz

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 12:31:49 AM »
Hooley,
  From what I read, I'd buy those arm restraints or you can probably borrow some at the races.

Freud,
  I haven't heard from Sum and he hasn't answered my E-mails. I think he might have a serious case of LSR burn out. I hope he gets an urge to finish that lakester soon or it may never get finished.

Harv

Offline WZ JUNK

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 06:42:02 AM »
We need to know about the arm restraints before we leave for the salt.  Stroud says that since they are attached to the suit and the suit is tagged and complies with the rules, then the arm restraints are also current.  We just want to be sure because the rules say that the arm restraints must also be tagged.

I talked to Sumner yesterday on the phone.  He will be at Speedweek but do not expect to contact or hear from him until then.

John
Crew chief #974 B/BGCC 1953 Studebaker Past Bonneville record holder.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 09:55:13 AM »
Hooley and John, I would get an email from Stroud giving the date and SFI compliance of the arm restraints as attached to the suit.  Put it in you  log book. 
Your only other option is get Stroud to tag the restraints ...
You still have a couple of weeks, don't know if you can get a tech line answer in that amount of time and still have time to act...
See you and your Hooleygans on the salt  8-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 11:01:58 AM »
The best thing is to go to the scta-bni.org web site and go to thje rules and regulations tab. Ask the question there for an official answer. Also D-J safety will be on the salt all week to help with supplies and tech. stuff related to safety issues.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline GH

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 11:05:20 AM »
Hooley and John, I called Bob Stroud about mine, he said to send them to him, both jacket and pants and he would recertify them at no cost, they came back with 2009 date on all pieces.

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 11:13:22 AM »
I think it would be faster and easier to buy a new pair of Simpson restaints. Fairly inexpensive.
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 11:16:13 AM »
My Simpson Suit has them sewn in, and there is a SFI Tag Sewn to the sleeve next to the restraint with the dates etc...
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 11:48:46 AM »
My new restraints had the tag sewn to the D-ringed circle cuff that went around your wrist area.  I had a Stroud suit with the nylon cuff loops sewn on.  I didn't want to duplicate it around the wrist -- and also didn't need another set of D-rings flopping around, but needed the new non-aluminum lower units.  So I used the lower straps with the sewn-on wrist straps.  But the new tag was on the pieces that I wasn't using.  Passed inspection at Elmer after showing them the updated tag.  I was told to sew the tag from the new units onto the straps used.  (hoipe you can follow this.)  Any way, we passed inspection and were told the modifications would help speed things up in the future.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Hooley

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 04:39:08 PM »
Guys, Thank you for the info on the arm restraints. I see it isn't only me with the problem. It is an easy solution with getting Stroud to recertfi or get some new arm restrainets .

Thanks again
                                              Hooley
"Just Glad To Be Here"

Offline Hooley

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 08:07:03 PM »
Well, here is the last word about arm restraints.  Stroud will recertifi our suite with the restraints. Ours are in compliance now but I'll have them updated to current.  SCTA's word is in 2006 SFI changed the testing for arm restraints. To be SFI compliant, there should be a tag attached to the restraint with the SFI number 3.3 .  Before 06 it would have been 3.1.

Current requirement is a 3.3 dated 06 or later.

This is all about driver safety and I'm all for that.

This may help someone.
                                       Thanks Hooley
"Just Glad To Be Here"

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2009, 10:14:15 PM »
That's what I was trying to describe.  The problem was with the aluminum thingies that stacked into the latch system.  When we got the new ones, they had the certification on the wrist part which was adjustable with D-rings, which we didn't use because the nylon straps were already sewn onto the Stroud suit.  The lowers were now sewn, rather than using the aluminum thingie, and went on the crotch strap.  They had D-rings, too, for length adjustment.

Dealing with Stroud thru the years has always been a  1st class experience.  If Bob can help you, he will -- and even may not charge you.

Stan Back
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline GH

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2009, 08:54:32 AM »
Hooley, I'll bet you could send your suit to Bob and pick it up in OK City on your way out to Sumners.