Author Topic: Break in.....any truth to this?  (Read 7067 times)

Super Kaz

Re: Break in.....any truth to this?
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2009, 01:55:50 PM »
drive it like you stole it                                        willie buchta

I'm with willie on this 1 :evil:!

Most of the New Super Bikes out now are run on a Dyno at the Factory before ever Leaving! 8-)

Watch Discovery Channel HD Show "Twist the Throttle" as they showed Honda's,and Yamaha's Factory Bikes on their own in house Dynos!{Honda was on last night }

After the Island of MANN TT Super Bike Race!!!! :-o

SK............. :wink:

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2009, 02:47:01 PM »
Yup two short runs at mid throttle 5 mins a pop on the dyno and then as willie says ride like you stole it.
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2009, 04:52:25 PM »
Many manufacturers break in the engines after engine assembly, but before final assembly.  I purchased a brand new engine from GM, and disassembled it, and it had certainly been run at least at OEM peak power.  My guess from the carbon and injector pattern, that it spent somewhere between 30 min to 2 hours running at had hit full power at least a couple minutes.  The spray pattern marks showed this.  Whether they were just doing diagnostics, or actually breaking the engine in?  I'm thinking both.  Diagnostics only takes a few minutes, and doesn't require full output.

This sounds like a "burn in" more so than a break in period. (I suppose the break in might be a side benefit if it truly is a burn in)

Far better to have an engine component fail in the factory than a half hour drive from the dealership.   :-o

Moonshiner

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2009, 01:25:16 AM »
I have always built my motors on the tight side of the tolerances , my back woods break in procedure ? fill the crank case with 5 w 20 and a quart of marvels mystery oil ,take the spark plugs out { and leave them out } squirt some marvels in each cylinder , hook it to a tow vehicle , drag around the block for 30 minuets in low gear at 30 MPH , put the plugs in ,fire it up and to Quote Wille buchta " i drive like i stole it " ... :-D

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2009, 01:47:55 AM »
Today I was working on figuring out some cam timing issues on my triumph and I went to Axtell's website.  They have a section with technical talk.  Proper break is a subject.  They had some problems with the piston ring "microwelding" itself to the piston land during the ham-fisted style break in.  They went back to using the traditional heat cycling method.