Author Topic: BAR to run at Bonneville?  (Read 44049 times)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Efficiency
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2005, 10:18:50 PM »
One of the best AERO shapes is a pursuit fish.
One of the most efficient modes of transportation is the bike.
Somehow those facts seem to be confused.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
BAR to run at Bonneville?
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2005, 11:36:07 PM »
Mr. Dolan said "One of the best AERO shapes is a pursuit fish.
One of the most efficient modes of transportation is the bike.
Somehow those facts seem to be confused."

Just wondering why? Does he think this we may not know?
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
It would seem
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2005, 11:53:06 PM »
The BAR folks have not come to that conclusion and continue to match the fish with the bicycle.
"Theoretical speeds are achieved by theoretical vehicles."
"Don't date out of your species."
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline Leon

• http://www.ridgenet.net/~biesiade/
Re: It would seem
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2005, 12:58:57 PM »
I caught a few minutes of talk on "Wind Tunnel" on Speed Channel where they said they were going for a record.  If that is the case, it isn't simply going out to see how fast it will run.  ???

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Same story, different day.
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2005, 01:42:16 PM »
All the same people that believed the Budweiser broke the SOS at Edwards so many years ago are still with us and drink a lot of beer while watching a lot of TV.

Offline Utahfab

BAR to run at Bonneville
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2005, 11:09:22 AM »
After checking out BAR's web site I'm a lot more confident that they are taking Bonneville seriously.  As far as class I think they say lakester just because it is open wheel.  On their site they say they want to set a record for a formula 1 car.  They even mention that they would like to change their tires because as is they currently generate about 75% of the drag but can't because then it wouldn't be a formula 1 car.

I?ll be there, if only to hear it make a pass at 17,200 rpm! (backed down 800 from their normal 18k).

Have you ever heard Formula 1 called the "F1 circus"?  They definitely put on a show.  Their awning makes my EZ-up look like a playing card!

My only fear is that is sparks a corporate rush to the salt because to me it's last great amateur prize.  Corporate money will only ruin it for the rest of us.

To everyone that will be there.  Good luck.  Have fun!
Billy in Utah

Stock Hayabusa w/53k miles - 181.986mph.  Not so fast, Yet!

Offline Leon

• http://www.ridgenet.net/~biesiade/
Re: BAR to run at Bonneville
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2005, 12:39:57 AM »
Quote from: Utahfab
Corporate money will only ruin it for the rest of us.

GM is already doing that with all the support of the ecotec projects.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Lucky for them
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2005, 12:48:00 AM »
Lucky for them a Hot Rodder has not taken an interest in what they are doing.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Ecotecs go BOOM!
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2005, 12:55:57 AM »
When I left the salt on Monday night I think every car with and Ecotec was broken or close to it. The great SO-CAL Ecotec lakester with all of its' technology had gone just slightly faster than the original with a carburated flathead!! Maybe GM is spending their money on the wrong deal.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline fastesthonda_jim

• Ready to Rock 2003
Ecotec and Hot Rodder
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2005, 01:44:48 AM »
Hey JackD,

A Hot Rodder (that would be me) has taken an interest in what they are doing.  They have decided to run in "my" class (2 liter liners) and are putting up some big numbers with their "hair driered" Ecotecs.  I mean no getting around it. 340mph+ is frickin' fast.  But they have yet to give up the excitement of BFS and BGS for the more mundane (slower) unblown classes.  

I'm waiting to see if they can put anything on my G/GS 253 record, especially since the motor was burning down that day (ran 260+ a few days before) and has since been, well let us say "freshened up" a bit.  

We'll see what the Great Brown Dyno reveals this coming weekend.

All the best,

Jim
2006 SCTA High Points Champeen
2006 Dirty "2" Wrench Of The Year
Bonneville "2" Club 2003
El Mirage Dirty "2"'s 2006
Bonneville Records: G/GS, F/GS (Boy)  G/FS (Girl)
El Mirage Records: F/BFS, F/FS, F/GS, I/FS, I/GS, K/BGS
FIA Records A, II, 8
Unlimited License
300mph line qualified (305.129 best mile speed)
The older half of San Diego's Fastest Couple
2016 Man of Distinction Award
DLRA 2019 Top Speed of The Meet (309.438 Mile - 323.3 GPS)

Offline fastesthonda_jim

• Ready to Rock 2003
Ecotec and Hot Rodder # 2
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2005, 02:40:36 AM »
JackD,

There's also some guy named Yacoucci (or something) that was runnning against them this year.  Seems he managed to wear out one of his H/BGS motors enough to just barely make it a G/BGS.  He's a bit of a Hot Rodder from what I hear, and should have given them quite a run.

I figured in a normal year, you know, when we have a "spare" course along side the first course, that the race of the meet would have been head to head, Ecotec vs. Suzuki, one on each course,drop the flag and drag race.

But, oh well.  Maybe October.  Maybe next year.  Etc.

Jim Knapp
2006 SCTA High Points Champeen
2006 Dirty "2" Wrench Of The Year
Bonneville "2" Club 2003
El Mirage Dirty "2"'s 2006
Bonneville Records: G/GS, F/GS (Boy)  G/FS (Girl)
El Mirage Records: F/BFS, F/FS, F/GS, I/FS, I/GS, K/BGS
FIA Records A, II, 8
Unlimited License
300mph line qualified (305.129 best mile speed)
The older half of San Diego's Fastest Couple
2016 Man of Distinction Award
DLRA 2019 Top Speed of The Meet (309.438 Mile - 323.3 GPS)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
FOB
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2005, 03:05:12 AM »
FOB (found out back) I have a 1497cc BDT Ford and lots of spares with a couple of Mazda RX-7 cars that might upset them.

Offline Malcolm UK

F1
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2005, 08:47:17 AM »
In europe the presentation of F1 has been called "the F1 Circus" and the FIA Head of marketing and communications - Bernie Ecclestone - was the 'ringmaster'.  Clearly he is losing power and influence on a personal level and the manufacturer lead teams are beginning to flex their muscles.

What does this mean for Bonneville and LSR?

Only this week one of our motorsport weekly journals suggested that other F1 teams are watching what BAR-Honda and could be interested in tackling any speed set.

If they stick to running an F1 product - playing in their own camp so to speak - they (BAR and any others) can do what they want in writing the rules etc ........ but as JackD has pointed out their corporate bubble(s) may be burst if a hot rodder can show an ability to go faster with open wheels.  Then the coffers may be opened by the manufacturers to fund challenges to 'official' records.  

Now, will these teams play to FIA governance and rules (they operate under FIA in F1 of course) in the future or would they try to hijack an 'approximate' class such as SCTA gas lakesters?

By the way the fuel used in a Honda F1 is FIA recognised gasoline, but would probably not pass the SCTA requirements for the unblown gas class.

Malcolm
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
You haven't seen it yet but it is there.
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2005, 09:47:07 AM »
FIM / AMA has fallen victim to that type of influence.
They will fall on their face as soon as they realize that not only is it not a spectator sport, but a participant sport. The Hot Rodder still prevails over time.
Think about the budget for the BUB meet and the progress it has made.Look for Vesco or Campos in the AMA / FIM record listing and see if you notice anything missing. Examine the rule changes and watch the evolution and tell me where the influence seems to come from.
Lots of things are wrong and lots of things are right. It just needs some cleaning.
If you don't think the BAR deal is a stunt, look at the Road and Track shootout. You will hate it.

Offline Malcolm UK

Assistance
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2005, 03:21:44 AM »
I have now found out from South Africa that the driver of the BAR Bonneville car is/has being/been given advice by former outright LSR driver Richard Noble.

The F1 race team cars had the Bonneville 400 logos on during last weekends Belgian Grand Prix - clearly visible when Sato drove into the Ferrari at turn one.
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.