Author Topic: BAR to run at Bonneville?  (Read 44045 times)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
IT IS A COMMON MISTAKE
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2005, 09:50:52 AM »
Quote from: dwarner
What am I missing here? Why is it assumed that everyone who uses the salt flats is running for a BNI record?

It happens when you are wearing blinders too long.
"The vehicle is no more suited for runnung on the salt under any flag than is is designed for a moon shot.
Dreams are often nightmares".
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline TheRipler

• http://www.landsharksti.com/
BAR to run at Bonneville?
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2005, 10:45:50 AM »
Why is it that every thread I start eventually gravitates to traction control? Am I going to have to create a thread on TC, and just start pointing people to that? :lol: ;)

Quote from: John Beckett
They don't run very well without the traction contol. The whole car is built around it.

They ran fine a couple of years ago without traction control. One thing for sure, if they use it, you'll be able to hear it.

If I were a gambling man, I'd bet they were more interested in an FIA record, if they're actually shooting for a record and not just publicity. What is the FIAs current stance on the subject for LSR?
Professor Weinburger sighed, knowing that without the alien mother to care for the last surviving egg of her once-proud species, the egg would surely die; still, he thought, greasing the fry-pan, it certainly was going to be an interesting breakfast.

dwarner

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2005, 01:09:40 PM »
What is the FIAs current stance on the subject for LSR?

See: Malcom UK

Warner

Offline aircap

Bar at Bonneville
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2005, 04:18:10 PM »
The AUTOWEEK article does not mention setting any records. They simply want to see how fast the darn thing will go in a straight line. Isn't that what most salt racers want to know?
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline TheRipler

• http://www.landsharksti.com/
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2005, 04:43:57 PM »
The BAR is a 3.0L NA V-10, and (I'm totally guessing here) that might put them in Cat A Group II Class 8, which appears to be 201.398mph as set by Jeffery Nish in the Nish Liner circa 1987 at Bonneville.

Note: This is my first ever attempt to classify a car to an FIA standard. It's free information, and you get what you pay for. ;)
Professor Weinburger sighed, knowing that without the alien mother to care for the last surviving egg of her once-proud species, the egg would surely die; still, he thought, greasing the fry-pan, it certainly was going to be an interesting breakfast.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
POWER IS NOT FAST
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2005, 05:00:20 PM »
A singled engined Suzi powered salt car is 300mph faster than a tractor puller
 with 6 blown alky motors. One is designed for speed, the other for power.
The F1 car is somewhere inbetween and turns corners faster
than anythong but a F1 boat.
Choose your weapon.
Don't bring a knife to a gunfight.
Mind the direction of the wind before planning your next move.
Got it ?
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline joea

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2005, 01:46:51 AM »
thats right Dan, you might not like their roll cage.........

or tire width........and for that matter..........the salt
might have something to say as well.........

I would LOVE to see what they could  run regardless...........

Joe :)

dwarner

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2005, 08:40:51 AM »
I didn't say they can't run.  I too would love see and hear one of the cars at full song.
My point was that as soon as the thread was opened people were jumping on the fire suit, chassis requirements, etc. Not every car that hits the salt is running against a BNI record. Therefore the rules don't apply. common sense may be in there some place but a $10 rulebook is the least of their concerns.

Warner

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
"Don't date out of your species."
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2005, 12:14:10 PM »
Honda is smarter than to think a F! car can run at full HP and speed on the salt. They have been burned at least twice before by hotrodders on the salt. Those projects were buried face down with the tail tucked in.
A press release is cheap publicity and a failure is the most expensive publicity you can pay for.
Top speed for a F1 is a game and they will play wisely.
If they wish to apply Honda power to a speed record on the salt, they are a lot smarter now and can be expected to do very well with a correct machine.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2005, 01:07:51 PM »
Not every car that hits the salt is running against a BNI record. Therefore the rules don't apply.

Dan I'm hoping they run also, but they mentioned Oct. and if they did run during World Finals for "speed only" wouldn't they still have to meet all safety requirements for that anticipated speed if it was part of the meet?

Now if they run on their "own time" of course they could do anything they want.

c ya, Sum

dwarner

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2005, 01:13:01 PM »
Sum, what if they ran a week early?

Jack, If Honda is looking for a speed record the Barnyard Bomber has run as fast as 260. Hell, I drove the thing at 235+

Warner

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Not so fast
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2005, 07:18:20 PM »
Honda owns 2 of their own tracks in the US now. They are both better suited to the F1 car than the salt will ever be.
They also have the option to run on the 17k ft. concrete runway at Edwards. It has a surveyed mile and kilo in the middle.
"Think outside of your box."

Offline Stroker

• New folks
    • http://www.snartracing.com
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2005, 12:35:41 PM »
I'd guess Honda has enough money to run whatever they like just about anywhere they like.
I remember another F1 competitor invading a bastion of American Hot Rodding about 40 years ago.
The tone of the various comments, in print and on TV, were surprisingly similar to what I'm seeing here.
That raises a question; how many Offy powered, front engined roadsters do you see at the Indy 500 these days?
There is no substitute for cubic dollars, and, with a $10,000,000.00 racing budget, I think they'll probably spend whatever it takes to achieve their goal, whatever it is.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Times change but cars and people not that much.
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2005, 02:23:42 PM »
The only front motored Indy Offy Roadster that runs all the time is Lattin's at the Lakes and Bonneville again this year.
That is a fun car and the owner enjoys it. He has the facilities to build any kind of racer he wants.
Without the press pressing, most of the top speed racers are doing exactly what they want.
Maximum enjoyment comes from beating maximum investment all the time.

John Beckett

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2005, 09:19:15 PM »
Quote from: Stroker
There is no substitute for cubic dollars, and, with a $10,000,000.00 racing budget, I think they'll probably spend whatever it takes to achieve their goal, whatever it is.

Thinking the average F1 budget is more like 10 x $10,000,000.

JB